How to Create a Custom Side

Started by Ascertes, August 23, 2015, 02:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The title pretty much says it all. I'm interested in making a new side using existing/stock assets. I went through the Swbf1 Mod Tuts forum and didn't see exactly what I'm looking, so now I come to ask for your knowledge. I have absolutely no idea where to begin with this, so any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

Okay so just so I'm getting something clear here...I can edit the ODF's in BFbuilder's assets and effectively create new units? (new weapons, meshs, etc.)

Or just build a new unit from scratch using other unit ODF's as a template and add it to that side's REQ file? Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot here; this is totally new to me  :wacko:

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

August 23, 2015, 03:22:37 PM #4 Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:25:25 PM by Commander Awesome
You can do both. Just make sure you don't edit the ODFs directly from assets, as you might (and probably will) need those later. Only edit the copies in your project folder.

Quote from: Ascertes on August 23, 2015, 02:45:46 PM
Okay so just so I'm getting something clear here...I can edit the ODF's in BFbuilder's assets and effectively create new units? (new weapons, meshs, etc.)

Or just build a new unit from scratch using other unit ODF's as a template and add it to that side's REQ file? Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot here; this is totally new to me  :wacko:

Yes, as C-A has said, you can do both.  If you have not done side modding before, I suggest you start simple and change stock ODFs, change skins, change to other stock units, etc to see how everything works.

After that, you will be in a better position to put in new msh's, SWBF2 units, and other items.  I have a post on REQ file editing somewhere as well.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks guys you are awesome  :cheer:

Hopefully now I will be better able to edit those Royal Guards as C-A requested  ;)

Thanks Led, always appreciated  :cheers:

Okay it seems I've hit a it of a roadblock. I'm following Breakdown's Modding Guide and I've pretty much followed everything to the letter, but it seems a couple of the steps included in his guide are things that I don't have.

For example, the way he describes what BFBuilder looks like once you create a new world is different then what I get. I think I may not have the right version of BFBuilder? I downloaded mine off of FileFront before the networked sites got shut down. Is this the likely problem?

probably.

Use the package I made and list in that guide.  It has all the updates already applied, plus some other goodies.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

August 24, 2015, 10:23:40 PM #11 Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:11:50 PM by Ascertes
Quote from: Led on August 23, 2015, 05:18:23 PM
probably.

Use the package I made and list in that guide.  It has all the updates already applied, plus some other goodies.

I think I may have hit another problem, Led (Sorry!) I downloaded the mod as you said, put it in the Lucasarts Folder, it registers the maps I've already made but it seems the updates aren't applying to the map as a whole. For example, I should have a Side folder located under Data>_lvl_pc, but I don't. I'm totally fine with removing whatever files I have to or creating a new world and pasting what I've already done in there, but is that necessary?

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the Munge button located in the DataModID folder doesn't work for me. I just have to munge it in BFBuilder and then it works fine.

Alright so here is what I have done...

1. Followed Breakdown's Modding Guide.
2. Created the modded side.
3. Instead of replacing one of the stock LVL's, I instead made a "new" one and added it to the folder with the existing stock sides. (This works fine,) and had the LUA call on this new side. The side works fine, as does the map.

My only question now is, will people who download the map have to download the new side as well and put it with their other LVL files, or will the map work automatically?

A mod map can have its own custom sides loaded separately from the stock sides. You just put your side .lvls in <your map's folder>\_lvl_pc\SIDE. Then in your map's mission lua change this:
ReadDataFile("SIDE\***.lvl",
To this:
ReadDataFile("dc:SIDE\***.lvl",

("***" being your custom/modified side(s).)

Quote from: Commander Awesome on August 27, 2015, 09:31:23 AM
A mod map can have its own custom sides loaded separately from the stock sides. You just put your side .lvls in <your map's folder>\_lvl_pc\SIDE. Then in your map's mission lua change this:
ReadDataFile("SIDE\***.lvl",
To this:
ReadDataFile("dc:SIDE\***.lvl",

("***" being your custom/modified side(s).)

I've always wondered what the dc part was for. Guess I know now!  :D

Thanks C-A, hope to have those new Royal Guards done very soon  ;)