Looking to Improve my skill with this game, Episode 1: What should I work on?

Started by Sol9000, October 22, 2012, 10:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Note To... Well, Everyone: If this belongs elsewhere please redirect the topic where you believe it goes in instead of being the Punch-Clock Villain by locking it. We don't wanna go on a witch hunt to senselessly ban the guy who closed it like he was Adolf Hitler or someone who did a lot of killing in his day and/or blindly followed the arrows The Spooky Conspiracy printed all over the streets and I've kind of forgotten where I was going with this so on with the topic at hand.

Hi. I'm considerably new to SWBF (and the First/Third Person Shooter Genre in general) and I'm looking for help in getting better at it. I'll put up a video of a typical day for me in, well, I dunno. Either Citadel, Jabba's Palace, or Tripoca Bay or whatever. But for now, what are your recommendations for new players?
Current reason I get mad in video games: I hate dying in video games.

You can blame Sonic the Hedgehog and his insistence on using a life count for that

Practise genuinely helps, other-wise getting someone to show you the ropes is always helpful... stuff like mine throwing and the importance of jumping.

Always keep your cool, never panick by jumping and rolling very often because it allows your oponent to guess where you will land.

Learn to minethrow and 1 at a time rocket for Rebel , also learn where to aim at the wall in CC hall, roll alot like i :D never jump...jk thats good too, and learn to put mines where they are least suspected, you might not get good till 6 months.. train train train :D , add me on xfire if you have : marttrooper

All good advice. Being able to keep your crosshairs on target while maneuvering is key to great success at shoot-outs at close range. IMHO.

Learn to use every weapon you have effectively. Most people don't use the pistol enough, and just prefer to die when they run out of primary ammo. It's a deadly weapon when used properly, especially in combination with the sniper or shotgun.

Other advice is learn to get a feel for the splash radius of certain weapons like grenades, landmines, rockets, EMP launchers, mortars and vehicles etc.

Too many times I see teammates blindly rushing into enemy mines (or team stunning others into them) and getting half our team killed. So don't be like most noobs who 'travel in packs'. Try to keep enough distance that someone else isn't going to cause you to get killed.

The first thing, I think, would be to figure out if you're more comfortable with WASD or one of the two sets of arrow keys.

ETA:  Note that I am right handed, so if you are a southpaw, you might prefer to use one of the sets of arrow keys.  Anyways, I agree with Phobos in that I find WASD superior: as an anecdote, both my aim and my evasiveness improved when I switched.

Quote from: Phobos on October 23, 2012, 09:04:31 AM
Learn to use every weapon you have effectively. Most people don't use the pistol enough, and just prefer to die when they run out of primary ammo. It's a deadly weapon when used properly, especially in combination with the sniper or shotgun.

Other advice is learn to get a feel for the splash radius of certain weapons like grenades, landmines, rockets, EMP launchers, mortars and vehicles etc.

Too many times I see teammates blindly rushing into enemy mines (or team stunning others into them) and getting half our team killed. So don't be like most noobs who 'travel in packs'. Try to keep enough distance that someone else isn't going to cause you to get killed.

With regards to this last paragraph, please don't be that guy who won't destroy enemy mines.

Quote from: BlackScorpion on October 23, 2012, 09:27:37 AM
The first thing, I think, would be to figure out if you're more comfortable with WASD or the arrow keys.

With regards to this last paragraph, please don't be that guy who won't destroy enemy mines.

WASD > Arrow keys for me at least

And I agree 1000% too many people try to just avoid mines rather than taking 2 seconds out to kill them. Then someone else comes in to help them capture a base and they both die because of it. I think whats worse than this though, is pilots who refuse to heal any teammates. It's a shame

Well, I have learned shoot little, move a lot!

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

playing in the right servers is also essential. FC servers are modded to make it more of a fair and continuous battle rather than stock units and limits on ammo making you  waste time getting ammo.

i also think duels and wars are the best type of training. as an example i had no skill in my past clan because they would never duel me or let me into wars :td: but i gained skill 5x faster in FC and InviS dueling like every day.

oh and FC battlegrounds is really fun for playing all stock maps and males you really well rounded

I agree with Kishan
FC server are the best with equal sides and no lag.
Unlimited ammo is the best part :D
<br /><br />Top SWBF1 Modder and Skill Clan 2009-20??

Quote from: BlackScorpion on October 23, 2012, 09:27:37 AM
ETA:  Note that I am right handed, so if you are a southpaw, you might prefer to use one of the sets of arrow keys.
I'm a lefty, arrow keys are worth trying out if position becomes bothersome, but I've found that WASD is just better in terms of keyboard location.

Practice practice practice. Learn different jump, roll, move, and shooting combinations. Try and shoot right after a roll then jump, then roll again.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Remain calm and take your time with shots. Getting angry makes you too hasty and staggers your focus

If you feel that the game's default button mapping is uncomfortable or kind of makes things difficult for you, switch around the button mapping settings. For example: to switch secondary weapons (grenades, mines, etc...) the default button is "G". For me, I felt that it did not feel right to have to get my finger over one button in order to press another next to to switch secondary weapons. Instead, I set it for "F" (default: switch primary weapon) to make it easier for me; I change primary weapons by using the scroll wheel anyway. I've made more customizations to my button mapping but I only wanted to give a simple rundown and not confuse you.

Use pistol often, you'll be surprised by how useful it is.

Understand your weaponry. Know their reload speeds, timing between shots, and round size. Don't worry, after playing for a certain amount of time, you'll understand every weapon like the back of your hand - unless you wear gloves all the time. Just keep playing as a certain class in a certain way all the time until you become comfortable enough and develop enough confidence in yourself to try out new strategies or classes. We all started out as n00bs and we all have the ability to discover our potentials and perhaps even surpass them. :]

Learn by watching other players; either playing against them, with them, or even watching other players POV in their videos on YouTube. You'll learn their movements - even while playing against them - and will be able to understand their strengths and weaknesses to capitalize on and implement their moves/tactics into your own playstyle.