Tirpider's Hex-Crafting Request Thread

Started by {TcF}Dr.Penguin, April 10, 2012, 09:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 17, 2012, 01:49:37 PM #15 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:52:32 PM by Unit 33
Quote from: Buckler on April 17, 2012, 01:37:21 PM
You sir, are a Craftsman With a Hex-Knive.
That would make a good Member Title.

I demand it be used!

Oh... I do have a model somewhere which actually looks similar to what had been requested, but I felt it was better not to share it, allowing for all this genius. And I personally think that the one you have made looks better.

This looks awesome. nice job!  :moo:
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

April 17, 2012, 02:59:05 PM #17 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:45:50 PM by tirpider
heh. I approve of and like the title.
Thank you for your encouraging comments.

I know it seems like I keep adding process to this, but here's 2 more things I'm going to try out on this guy.
1 Going to attempt to kitbash a lowres for him.
2 Going to attempt to make a proper, seperated texture for the respirator. (so it doesnt have to include the whole TiePilot.tga)

If they don't pan out, thats ok, but I want to at least try to get it down, so that it can be done for other models as well.
(particularly the lowres.)

-edit
Play test and a break for the afternoon (headache is back)
In the pic you will see that PhII clone has a shadow, while the kitbashed tusken-skywalker-mundi doesn't.
Also, the back of the skirt on the tusken is visible from this side (normaly transpearant in bf1.)
Not really trooper related, just showing off some other hex fun.

Wow awesome! Can't wait for the assets to be uploaded.

April 18, 2012, 10:15:45 AM #19 Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:45:40 PM by tirpider
Not a full release, yet.
I'd like to make the lowres before calling it done, but here is what I have so far.

The ReadMe:[spoiler]Phase II Clone Jet Pilot
version 0.8 pre-release 1
tirpider@yahoo.com
www.swbfgamers.com

Since this is a pre-release, release, I'm hoping for suggestions on improving
te model. There is still a bit to be done before calling him finished, but the
essentials are game ready. I don't know how long making the lowres will take,
thus the pre-release.

Everything has been hex-edited on this guy, from the materials to the envelopes.
All the MODL chunks can be removed and hexxed onto another model if your into
that sort of thing.
All non-essential MODL chunks have been removed.
Since this model is made of all Pandemic assets, I would assume that it has
the same restrictions on it's use. (I'm not sure if there are any, besides not
selling it or using it in a commercial way.)

Sources:
Body is from BF2 rep_inf_ep3trooper.
Jetpack and ShadowVolume are from BF1 rep_inf_jettrooper.
Respirator Panel and Hoses are from BF1 imp_inf_pilot.
Skeleton is a generic rig I pulled out of one of the BF1 Rebels and customized
for this sort of thing.

Issues/ToDo list:
issue - When loading the model into 3d Object Converter, it complains about bad
polygons. These are on the JetPack and are present in the source msh as well.
They do not affect it's ability to be used in-game at all.

issue - The respirator panel rides a little low. Just moving it up a bit makes
the hose connection look funky. I may end up re working the hoses to accomodate
moving the panel up.

todo - Skinning. The Panel and Jetpack need some attention to make them an
integrated part of the model. I adjusted the color of the Jet pack to a simular,
but not equal shade of 501 blue. It still needs to be skinned.

todo - Texture optimization. I want to try to get the respirator and JetPack
into a single texture. I know how to move UV's, I've just never done it so I'm
going to take my time and get it right.

todo - In making the model, I renamed the chunks, so override_texture is
non-functioning at the moment.

todo - No lowres. I'm working on it.

todo - Filenames. This is just a pre-release. The names for textures and the msh
itself will be fixed on release.

Credit for this Model go to:
{TcF}Dr.Penguin   for the design.
Pandemic          for making the original, source files.
tirpider          for mad-scientist, Fraken-hacking it all together.

Thanks to LucasArts for allowing us to poke about in your Star Wars toys.
Thank you swbfgamers.com for being a positive and supportive community.

-tirpider

visit www.swbfgamers.com

[/spoiler]

Like I said, I don't know how long it will take for the todo list to get done, I just don't want to leave anyone hanging.

-edit
removed pre release because real release is released

Hey just to be annoying I have one more request...  :panic:

It really doesn't matter how long you take; there is no rush.

This body (Female Trooper by Dragonum).
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9309

With the head of "rep_inf_ep3anakin" from the SWBF2 sides.
(For the bushy hair)
I will then edit the skin to create Konoko from Oni...

April 18, 2012, 01:51:56 PM #21 Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:59:17 PM by tirpider
Great idea.
Need to get Dragonum's permissions. (sending a pm on GT right now.)

-edit
pm sent. Looks like Dragonum is still around, though  I don't know when to expect a reply.
The Mediafire link in that post is dead, but I have a copy in my archive.
As long as we get permission it should be completely do-able.

-edit
Back to the lowres Trooper.
I need to 'do something' to the hoses on the low as well.
Since it's lowres, I feel I can get away with a vague rotation of them instead of reworking the whole top end.
-sad edit.
I looked back into the quats so I could rotate the hose. That is some burley, Grizzly Adams math.
I'll just hack it like I did the other.

April 19, 2012, 09:58:03 AM #22 Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:18:29 AM by Unit 33
Oh you can scratch that, I tried giving Anakin Oni's face and it just looks horrible in SWBF viewer... his face is very unwomanly.
Also there seems to be weird issues with the Fem Trooper model.

SWBF has no decent female models, probably because the creators couldn't be arsed creating realistic hair (hence most units have short or conveniently hidden hair).
So... anyway what would be better...

Use the all_inf_marksperson model for body and face... and somehow transplant the hair of rep_inf_ep3anakin onto there.
And if all that works throw the Clone Arms and Legs in there.

It's whether it's even do-able is the real issue!
If you don't think you can do it, I'll just stick with the all_inf_marksperson and give Oni a hat (which is daft).

For the benefit of doubt if any of you don't know who the hell Oni is... well...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni_(video_game)

re: rep_inf_female
Dragonum just PMd permission to use it. I know about some of it's issues (and can fix some of them) as a msh. I'll prep it for further work. I need a proper Bestine (not Bespin) security force for one of my other projects, perhaps It will get used there.
What wierd issues are comming up with the model?

My wife has also complained about the total lack of female models in the game. I guess it's hard to make a good female character without being to ... well... sexist.

One I have planned, but have months before I start, is a female Imp Officer (I want to make Tarkin's girlfriend). There arent many parts to choose from to make it happen.

Transplanting hair should be no problem. Swapping arms might take a couple of tries and may need weight adjustments at the shoulder. Totally do-able.

re:lowres
I'm going to try to get this done today. I have given up on making the respirator texture have it's own tga. Just to much at once. The pack will have to ride a little low. Some animations cover it, but it just looks bad if it's high with the hoses hitting the bottom.

I have a question for {TcF}Dr.Penguin.
Is there a specific name you want it to have?
Right now I'm using:

Phase II Clone Jet Pilot
rep_inf_phiijetpilot.msh
rep_inf_phiijetpilot.tga
rep_jetpack.tga
rep_respirator.tga

But if you have something specific in mind, I'll use that.
The 'Clone Jet Pilot' seems cumbersome and a little redundant, but is an appropriat description of the parts used.
As a trooper he could serve as a Jet Trooper or a Pilot, and with the added environment equipment and better pressurization of the Ph2 armor, would be able to survive longer exposure to a deep space vacuum.
Perhaps a light space assault unit.
Boarding parties, platform gaurd duty, mynock cleaner. Just speculating on what this troopers tasks might be.

The female Clone Trooper has two tga files which overlap on the model, making it difficult to make edits that don't look stupid.
It would probably just be easier for me to use the all_inf_marksperson since there's just the one skin to juggle.

I wouldn't mind helping you out with skinning  the Female Imperial Officer to repay your help.

April 19, 2012, 11:43:44 AM #25 Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:47:05 AM by tirpider
I can see where overlapping textures would be an issue.
I can move UV's 'in theory' but not reality (atm).
That's going to be a persistant issue with that model.
The first thing I was going to do with it was fake some NDXLs out of her STRPs, so that the model could be unwraped with 3dObjectConverter. It would be possible then to wipe all the unused stuff off the tga's, perhaps even shift the UV's so that they could be combined, but as it stands, I don't even have a tool that can unwrap it. Without seeing the UV's I couldn't even guess at what to move where.

I'll shift the BF1 sniper girl into the project folder.

-edit: I will definitely need help with skinning when it comes up. The Female Imp Officer is close to the bottom of a long list right now, though.

I was thinking it as the republic's protype Space to Planet Surface jump suit later to be replaced by the republic's airborne suit. The jobs you listed seem like good ideas for it also so maybe it could be a mulch-use space suit?

Groovy.

How about this:
Phase II Advanced Jet Trooper
rep_inf_phiiadvjettrooper.msh
rep_inf_phiiadvjettrooper.tga
rep_j12_jetpack.tga
rep_respirator.tga

Advanced because they wouldn't have known it was to become the Paratrooper or Airborne.
I like it.

On a side note, I'm digging the visored JumpTrooper pictured here.

Awesome! Great job Tirpider
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder