Minecraft Server Help

Started by Shazam, December 23, 2012, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 23, 2012, 05:16:30 PM Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:18:57 PM by Jolly Ol' Agent Z
Hey, my friends and I want to start playing MC like we used to, but the person who had the server we always went on took his server down.

I figured that I would just make a server that we could play on, but it is getting very complicated. Before I mess it up really bad, could someone with some experience with this sort of thing help? I would like help from start to finish so that I know it will work.

Thanks!  :wave:

-edit:  Oh gosh... 500 posts... I need a life. :panic:

December 23, 2012, 05:18:48 PM #1 Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:23:13 PM by {Alpha}Gold Claus
I am one of his friends that wants to play MC again. I should tell you first this is the Classic version (the one you can play on the site), not the newest version of it.

From what me and Sha-Zam have heard, you need to "port forward" or something to host the server. I clearly have not tried it, but we are wondering how to do this. If you can help that would be appreciated.

Edit: Sha-Zam, I'm half way there to 500 (almost). :P

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 23, 2012, 05:18:48 PM
I am one of his friends that wants to play MC again. I should tell you first this is the Classic version (the one you can play on the site), not the newest version of it.

From what me and Sha-Zam have heard, you need to "port forward" or something to host the server. I clearly have not tried it, but we are wondering how to do this. If you can help that would be appreciated.
Oh, and that reminds me, would it be possible for both GM and myself to both be able to launch the same server? I know that once I have the server up and running I can give him owner permissions, but I don't think he can actually launch it. :confused:

That'd be really neat if it was possible though. :)

Portforward, and go on the minecraft Download page on the Minecraft  Download page.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: [FC]Sharpshot on December 23, 2012, 05:24:13 PM
Portforward, and go on the minecraft Download page on the Minecraft  Download page.
No offence, but this question was kinda geared towards our "Geek Squad" :P

The first thing I need to know is where to install the "minecraft_classic_server"

Where to install it on your computer? Or where to download it from? Download it from this link

https://minecraft.net/download

Just read the second paragraph

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 23, 2012, 05:33:03 PM
No offence, but this question was kinda geared towards our "Geek Squad" :P

The first thing I need to know is where to install the "minecraft_classic_server"

He said where to install, Norris. :P I think he means where to install it on his game/computer.

Quote from: Olde Saint Norris on December 23, 2012, 05:41:57 PM
Where to install it on your computer? Or where to download it from? Download it from this link

https://minecraft.net/download

Just read the second paragraph
Where to install it on my computer. :)

I do believe this is the link I need: http://minecraft.net/classic/list (It's towards the top where it says "Looking to host a server? Here's the software for that." I don't think the link you gave me is for MC classic.

December 23, 2012, 05:55:01 PM #8 Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:57:38 PM by Olde Saint Norris
Yeah I didn't give you the classic  :P When I attempted to host a server awhile ago it was only a file which I put on my desktop. In the file are options for running the server along with an Icon that says Minecraft_server. Which upon opening will start the server  :D

The classic Is different though  :confused:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Well, I saved the "minecraft_classic_server" to my desktop and launched the starserver.bat and it said this:
[spoiler]  !  20:21:06  Failed to load player list "Admins". (java.io.FileNotFoundException: admins.txt (The system cannot find the file specified))
  !  20:21:06  Failed to load player list "Banned". (java.io.FileNotFoundException: banned.txt (The system cannot find the file specified))
  !  20:21:06  Failed to load player list "Banned (IP)". (java.io.FileNotFoundException: banned-ip.txt (The system cannot find the file specified))
  !  20:21:06  Failed to load player list "Players". (java.io.FileNotFoundException: players.txt (The system cannot find the file specified))
  !  20:21:06  Failed to load server.properties!
     20:21:06  Setting up
  !  20:21:06  No level file found. Generating a new level
     20:21:06  Generating level
     20:21:11  Now accepting input on 25565
     20:21:12  Level saved! Load: 0/16
     20:21:12  To connect directly to this server, surf to: <html>
     20:21:12  (This is also in externalurl.txt)
[/spoiler]

I still have no clue how to actually get on my server or tell others how to join it...

December 23, 2012, 06:35:36 PM #10 Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:38:44 PM by Olde Saint Norris
That's when the port forwarding part comes in. You will have to give people the forwarded IP. I am not much of an expert in port forwarding. I believe HC wrote a topic about it. Plus you will have to get the ip of everyone you want to join and add it to the player list so it recognizes them trying to connect. 

Edit: here is HC's topic: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=51.0

December 23, 2012, 06:38:21 PM #11 Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:43:16 PM by {Alpha}Gold Claus
Norris, this isn't the new MC, this is Classic. It has a server list. Basically, you put up the server, it gets listed for Classic's servers, and then anyone with an account on the MC site or even for the game, can join the server.

The trick in all of this, is to get a server up.

Also Sha-Zam, this is just to you here, I think you should ask our friend Kevin how he did it, if he remembers how anyway. :P

I am going to stop posting then  :XD:  good bye fellows  :cheer:

Quote from: Olde Saint Norris on December 23, 2012, 06:39:43 PM
I am going to stop posting then  :XD:  good bye fellows  :cheer:
Thanks for the help lol  :happy:

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 23, 2012, 06:38:21 PM
Also Sha-Zam, this is just to you here, I think you should ask our friend Kevin how he did it, if he remembers how anyway. :P
I've asked him. He's no help.  :P

Well, that's just brill. Perhaps we could find a popular server and see if the admin of the server could tell us. :P