New SWBF Server wrapper

Started by Sonic, August 30, 2015, 06:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 30, 2015, 06:34:30 AM Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:58:02 PM by Encorn5
The idea behind this is to have yet another master server to redistribute maps being played on the server and make playing custom maps as easy as possible.

So few words to explain how exactly it works.
The wrapper is an external application written in java, with features to handle multiple servers (There is no limit at all), including most common map settings. Every change you make to the GUI is saved instantly (Except for the custom limit for each side). The most interesting part of server tabs are the Buttons (Start/Stop/Restart). Every server start is reported to master server with informations containing data for all the maps (name, code and how to get it). The client then can parse data from master server and get all the required maps just by joining the server.

There is also map catalog. That was based on all the maps available on this site this week. Some of them might not work (by crashing the server), because they are not intended to be played on server. The catalog is not updated automatically as new maps are added. If you add new map and want to have it on server, use older, slower and deprecated (meaning don't use it unless necessary) catalog (must be enabled in main menu.

First thing you must do before you start using it, is to set correct path to server exe file (this is not stand-alone server).

Screenshots and download below. Note that the map install process requires extraction utility which is downloaded automatically at the first run (and every time you delete it) and is stored in "/libs" folder.

The client to be used to get the maps is located HERE (note that it does not have map manager built-in yet, for more info follot that topic).
The current version is early beta (most of the things work now) and as such it may contain bugs and/or malfunctions. If you find any of that, please report it in this thread or by pm.

That's incredible, I wish this was available way earlier when the game was more populare. You did a huge work!

Quote from: Syyy on August 30, 2015, 04:26:57 PM
That's incredible, I wish this was available way earlier when the game was more populare. You did a huge work!
Thanks

Indeed, nice work  :cheers:

And, I am sorry that I have not been able to test it yet...  too much going on in RL at the moment...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Funny thing that this has never been used by anyone ever.

I don't know about everyone else, but Snake and I have been having problems hosting.

Cool  :tu: must have rolled off before I ever got to see it.  I'll try it.  Well, not NOW.  But soon.  Hopefully.   :blink:

CA, some problems here too, for some reason the game crashes on our new server after a few days or even hours.  Have not had time to troubleshoot.