Help finding maps!

Started by Kit Fisto, March 24, 2012, 07:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok that's good enough for me!

March 24, 2012, 05:08:03 PM #16 Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:13:30 PM by Napseeker
Hey kitfisto, I saw your email.  Man, did all of my maps/mods vanish into the ether?   I'm not even sure where my Battle of Coruscant map disappeared to on my system... I burned it onto a DVD-R ages ago and it got filed away, errr, somewhere :)

If no one else has it or is willing to upload it, I'll look around for it later this week (kinda busy this weekend) but I recall it was a  massive rarfile, probably around 100mb.

edit: oh, BoC is not to be confused with the Space: Battle over Coruscant (damn, those names are so similar even I get confused).  Battlebelk's Polis Massa map is a great port but it has one serious, serious flaw in that the AI on the REP team eventually get bottled into one specific area and never leave it.  If you play as the REPs, you then, over the course of play, wind up with fewer and fewer AI teammates because they become trapped in that part of the map and won't explore anywhere else.  BTW, you may also want to find my mission map for BB's Polis Massa: it replaces the standard team with Bail Organa, and some other appropriate characters.

March 24, 2012, 05:18:04 PM #17 Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:26:03 PM by Buckler
Hi Napseeker, good to see you !

I have uploaded all of your mods that I could find.  If you can provide links, i would be happy to get the others up here.

These are the ones that I could find:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=11

There are some really fun things going on here too, mod wise, that might be able to entice you back :P

Check out the new SWBF2 conversions by Sleepkiller--
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=13

and the Map skin changer mods by phobos--
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=493

Oh, and Tirpider has been fixing models left and right for various errors.

Hope you can check in on us again   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks napseeker if you could find your battle over coruscant it would be greatly apprecieated could you email me the link?
I agree with the polis massa port, it's great except everyone just stands around like you said.
By the way I really like your final battle for utapau because I really like the 212 th attack battalion

@Buckler: thanks for those links, B!  Yeah Sleepkiller's ports are fantastic. I'm really happy to see Tantive and the Geonosis map finally playable in SWBF1... seriously had a modding urge while I was playing with Tantive and Geonosis to whip up some new sides for it (just to make it more movie accurate looking, because that's what I do :P )

From that list of my old maps/mods, I think I can see what's missing: Battle of Coruscant, Empire vs Clones, and the one that uses the 41st elite sides (which is obsolete now anyway, I was planning on redoing that one). You probably don't need to keep that beta of Duel at Mustafar as I see you also have the final release too.  Now that Sleepkiller has done the improved ports of the older scum/strike maps, I'll have to get around to adjusting my mission maps to load the improved maps (unless of course the new maps use the same mapnames as the scum/strike ones... in which case, no work needed - yay!)

Man, wish I had the time to go back into modding again...

@kitfisto: I'll look for the BoC map next Saturday (at the latest). Weekdays are not kind to me right now. If I can also find Empire vs Clones, will try to upload that and send out the links to you and Buckler.  Yeah I love the 212th too... mainly because orange is my favorite color.  Just happy that I got General Grievous into a BF1 map at last with FBAU since that was a big dream of mine.

Keep in mind that with the past 3 SWBF forums, every single time I finish uploading all of my modding projects to the site, post gallery pictures and a nice long description, that forum/site not long after... dies.  I swear that posting my stuff in its entirety seems to be the kiss of death for every SWBF Mac/PC site!  So, sorry in advance Buckler, I hope this site escapes that fate :)

Hi Napseeker,

Thanks for looking into the maps.  I would be happy to pay you postage and supplies costs if you wanted to send me a disk instead of uploading somewhere.

My own project involves something called SWBFupdate 1.0, which includes may new units and maps.  We have a way to bypass the addon map limit, and it has been fun so far.  I would love to be able to stock it with some of your units if you have assets handy, too  ;)

Well, there wont be much tweaking to this website, so it has been pretty stable so far.   My plan is to keep the site up as it is for at least 10 more years...if we can still play SWBF anymore or not :P

Thanks!

Thanks napseeker! The utapau mission map is my favorite out of all the other mission maps you made ( really like commander Cody). You should put your new mission maps if you make any on this site.

Quote from: Buckler on March 25, 2012, 11:31:37 AM
Hi Napseeker,

Thanks for looking into the maps.  I would be happy to pay you postage and supplies costs if you wanted to send me a disk instead of uploading somewhere.

Oh no, I'll find it and upload it... if I don't have it or have badly lost track of this stuff, I think Darth Verik may have the missing maps and be able to upload them for me (I just sent him a complete list of my mod/map releases so he can see what he has which needs to go up to the site).

My own project involves something called SWBFupdate 1.0, which includes may new units and maps.  We have a way to bypass the addon map limit, and it has been fun so far.  I would love to be able to stock it with some of your units if you have assets handy, too  ;)

Well, there wont be much tweaking to this website, so it has been pretty stable so far.   My plan is to keep the site up as it is for at least 10 more years...if we can still play SWBF anymore or not :P

A way has been found to bypass the addon map limit?  Get outta here!  Where's the tutorial?  That limit has been so confining on modders in the past few years it's ridiculous. 

I should probably do an asset release of some kind... errrr, where ARE all of my assets?  I'm not sure anymore! Probably on the same DVD-R as the maps that I can't find :)  That said, I think I will need to re-release the assets that I had already put out before (Aayla Secura, General Grievous, and Palpatine/Darth Sidious). Those don't seem to be on this site either. I'm sure they'd be useful to someone...

@kitfisto: would love to do more maps and mods... isn't a question of not wanting to do more, unfortunately we are in very hard economic times and all of my time is now spent just working... working to pay da bills, to pay off da man.  I still have so many unfinished mods sitting around somewhere it's not funny... that EaG2 map was almost done (that's the one with the playable Rancor which some of you ancient users may recall), Force Unleashed mini-game, Return of the Jedi mega-mission project... yearrrgh. 

Napseeker how do you make the final battle at utapau a global sides mod?

Quote from: Napseeker on March 25, 2012, 12:06:12 PM

A way has been found to bypass the addon map limit?  Get outta here!  Where's the tutorial?  That limit has been so confining on modders in the past few years it's ridiculous. 

Well, it's a bit of a hack, but you know, what about SWBF modding isn't :)

You know the typical eras end with the letter 'a' or 'c' sometimes 'r' or 'i'.  There are also maps that in end 'h' for historical.  These map LUAs are compiled into mission.lvl, and call sides and maps etc,  that are never in Addon.  So I got the idea to make a new mission.lvl file that contains a ton of new map lua's--similar to the historical missions--and it works. 

I use the era designation 'x', and it works in multiplayer if both player and server have the new replacement mission.lvl file (even though it says you don't have the map), and SleepKiller tells me he can make it list the maps in single player too, but I would have to use a standard era designation.

Reading your mission.lvl tutorials/comments gave me lots of good ideas about how this could all work.

If you go to the homepage of SWBFgamers.com you will see some links for SWBFupdate1.0 and Beta Patch 1.0 for jetdroid server.  Hop on line and give it a try.

What I think is the real cool thing is that these do not interfere with any of the stock mission files in any way, and it doesn't need to be installed.

Now, there could be a limit to this, but I have about 40-50 new missions defined and have not had any troubles yet.

Quote from: Napseeker on March 25, 2012, 11:24:31 AM
From that list of my old maps/mods, I think I can see what's missing: Battle of Coruscant, Empire vs Clones, and the one that uses the 41st elite sides (which is obsolete now anyway, I was planning on redoing that one). You probably don't need to keep that beta of Duel at Mustafar as I see you also have the final release too.  Now that Sleepkiller has done the improved ports of the older scum/strike maps, I'll have to get around to adjusting my mission maps to load the improved maps (unless of course the new maps use the same mapnames as the scum/strike ones... in which case, no work needed - yay!)
I tested out your Utapau mod one it seemed to work fine in conjunction with my port.

Quote from: Napseeker on March 25, 2012, 12:06:12 PM
I should probably do an asset release of some kind... errrr, where ARE all of my assets?  I'm not sure anymore! Probably on the same DVD-R as the maps that I can't find :)  That said, I think I will need to re-release the assets that I had already put out before (Aayla Secura, General Grievous, and Palpatine/Darth Sidious). Those don't seem to be on this site either. I'm sure they'd be useful to someone...

@kitfisto: would love to do more maps and mods... isn't a question of not wanting to do more, unfortunately we are in very hard economic times and all of my time is now spent just working... working to pay da bills, to pay off da man.  I still have so many unfinished mods sitting around somewhere it's not funny... that EaG2 map was almost done (that's the one with the playable Rancor which some of you ancient users may recall), Force Unleashed mini-game, Return of the Jedi mega-mission project... yearrrgh.

A playable rancor? Awesome. Is it full sized? I was able to get playable rancors but they are really small and mutated looking. I have the assets for your greivous and Aayla Secura. aayla is in the alien assets pack v3.5

glad to see you back napseeker you have made a lot of great contributions to the swbf community and rest assured no matter how many mods or maps you upload I will not quit :P

Okay let me reply to everyone in order:

@kitfisto:
> Napseeker how do you make the final battle at utapau a global sides mod?

Even after I switched to doing mission maps, I still tried to set up the sides files (REP and CIS.lvl) so that they can work as a global sides mod too.  All you have to do is take the normal REP and CIS LVL files that are in the SIDE folder where your game is installed and move those files elsewhere for safekeeping. Then you can copy the REP and CIS LVL from the FBaU map's Side folder, into the SIDE.  It should work, but I can't guarantee it just because I always forget to test that before I do a map release.  Just do the REP LVL alone first, play a standard map to verify that my REP.lvl doesn't crash the game. If not, then now copy over the CIS LVL and play the standard map again to make sure no crash here either. 

@Buckler:
Hey thanks for that explanation, good trick there, never would've thought of it, so I bow to you, kind sir!  I copied your explanation into my modding journal for future reference... for that day sometime in the far future when I've got a spare sec to mod again, lol.  Will try out your mod once I've found those missing pesky maps of mine... DVerik doesn't have them either so it's up to me to seek them out. 

@Sleepkiller:
Sweet, appreciate you checking that out for me.  Now I look forward to trying out FBaU with the improved port...

@Phobos:
Yeah it's full-sized... both the Acklay and the Rancor are playable.  I posted a pic like what, 2 years ago where they were all in a conga line in the arena (which I thought was funny, maybe no one else did).  Even got the Orray and Cart working.  Have a half-modelled, untextured Nexu, but I doubt that one will ever get done. Mind you, it's definitely an imperfect walk cycle just due to the usual trickery I have to resort to, but it looks just good enough to be acceptable to the not-too-discerning gamers.   I still have those vidcaps I posted somewhere, probably burned alongside with all my other junk somewhere, will post it if I can find it.

Quote from: Napseeker on March 25, 2012, 11:24:31 AM
From that list of my old maps/mods, I think I can see what's missing: Battle of Coruscant, Empire vs Clones, and the one that uses the 41st elite sides (which is obsolete now anyway, I was planning on redoing that one)

Napseeker I was wondering what is/ was the 41st elite sides?

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on March 26, 2012, 08:35:15 PM
Napseeker I was wondering what is/ was the 41st elite sides?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/41st_Elite_Corps
Those fellas.

Nice to see you're still alive Napseeker!