Turning a Lightsaber into a Gaffi Stick

Started by Ascertes, December 26, 2015, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The thread title pretty much sums it up. I've done my best to turn a lightsaber into a Gaffi stick. With the recent disaster of my latest map, I decided to put that one on the back burner and focus on releasing a new version of my Tatooine: Mos Anek.

However, I've hit a slight hiccup. I created a new class of tuskens that use a Gaffi Stick. I did this by modifying the "imp_weap_lightsabre" ODF file. The picture attached is the end result... (Sorry about the TGA Format but I don't currenly have any software that allows me to convert them.) What the picture doesn't show is that when swung, the Gaffi stick emits the lightsaber sound, although I got rid of any sound lines in the modified ODF.

So really, I need help with the following:
1. Getting rid of the lightsaber shroud on the gaffi stick weapon.
2. Removing the lightsaber swinging sound.

To help, I've attached the weapon ODF:

[WeaponClass]

ClassLabel          = "melee"

[Properties]
IconTexture         = "HUD_all_rifle_icon"

GeometryName        = "tat1_prop_gaffi_stick"
AnimationBank       = "lightsabre"

RoundsPerClip       = "1"
ReloadTime          = "2.0"

LockOnRange         = "1.0"
LockTime            = "0.4"
AutoAimSize         = "1.0"

MinRange            = "0"
OptimalRange        = "1.5"
MaxRange            = "3"

FirePointName       = "hp_fire_lightsabre"

SwingTime           = "0.7 0.5 imp_weap_lightsabre"
Texture     = "tat1_prop_gaffi_stick"

//DeflectSound      = "imp_weap_lightsabre_deflect"

Any help here is greatly appreciated :)

"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

December 26, 2015, 12:54:54 PM #1 Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:58:13 PM by Phobos
For the sound fix you just have to change this line

SwingTime           = "0.7 0.5"
the first number controls actual swing time for weapon, second number controls the delay of sound effect after the trigger is pressed, and third value controls the sound effect used. u can change or disable it there

For the shroud problem I think you just have to make a blank TGA, then hex edit the lightsaber msh to support transparency (4 spaces after HTARB is 04) for that texture and it will be 100% invisible

actually you just have to null this line out for the lightsaber
//Texture     = "tat1_prop_gaffi_stick"

December 26, 2015, 12:57:21 PM #2 Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 01:02:30 PM by Ascertes
Quote from: Phobos on December 26, 2015, 12:54:54 PM

the first number controls actual swing time for weapon, second number controls the delay of sound effect after the trigger is pressed, and third value controls the sound effect used. u can change or disable it there

For the shroud problem I think you just have to make a blank TGA, then hex edit the lightsaber msh to support transparency (4 spaces after HTARB is 04) for that texture and it will be 100% invisible

Alright will test it out and hopefully it work!

EDIT: Perfect! You're a life saver Phobos thank you so much!

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

NP, i think nulling out the texture line should work since its not actually part of the lightsabre msh, but the hex editing method works for other models.

For the 1st issue, I think it may be this:
Quote from: Ascertes on December 26, 2015, 12:12:46 PM

AnimationBank       = "lightsabre"

However I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the code in Star Wars Battlefront. I just went by what looks like the closest to the issue.

Quote from: Phobos on December 26, 2015, 12:54:54 PM

You know what? I actually thought that for the second haha! I think I want learn more about modding SWBF now  ;)
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on December 26, 2015, 01:01:30 PM
For the 1st issue, I think it may be this:
However I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the code in Star Wars Battlefront. I just went by what looks like the closest to the issue.

You know what? I actually thought that for the second haha! I think I want learn more about modding SWBF now  ;)

It was the Texture thing that was causing the problem. the sound is gone now too which is great because having it be a lightsaber effect just sounded out of place.

As for the AnimationBank, I'm pretty certain that just refers to the animation the weapon will use when fired. And if you're interested in learning more, don't be afraid to ask around; great community we have here :)

Quote from: Ascertes on December 26, 2015, 01:05:32 PM
It was the Texture thing that was causing the problem. the sound is gone now too which is great because having it be a lightsaber effect just sounded out of place.

As for the AnimationBank, I'm pretty certain that just refers to the animation the weapon will use when fired. And if you're interested in learning more, don't be afraid to ask around; great community we have here :)

Haha, once I've got my Mod Tools for SWBF fixed I certainly will :)
Glad you cleared that problem, I look forward to the map!
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: Ascertes on December 26, 2015, 01:05:32 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. If you wanted to try some more advanced modding techniques you could test assigning custom melee animations to the gaffi stick using this tool -> http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=9847

Quote from: Phobos on December 26, 2015, 01:33:21 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. If you wanted to try some more advanced modding techniques you could test assigning custom melee animations to the gaffi stick using this tool -> http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=9847

Interesting! Any thoughts on what animation might work best with the Gaffi Stick?

Quote from: Ascertes on December 26, 2015, 02:04:12 PM
Interesting! Any thoughts on what animation might work best with the Gaffi Stick?
I'm not sure since I haven't modded anything with the gaffi stick, but overhead swing is a cool animation for certain melee weapons vader_sabre_stand_attack1c_full

Quote from: Phobos on December 27, 2015, 07:31:27 AM
I'm not sure since I haven't modded anything with the gaffi stick, but overhead swing is a cool animation for certain melee weapons vader_sabre_stand_attack1c_full

Huh...I downloaded the tool but the file type was 7z? It wasn't a folder or anything as described in the link you gave me.

Quote from: Ascertes on December 27, 2015, 02:50:49 PM
Huh...I downloaded the tool but the file type was 7z? It wasn't a folder or anything as described in the link you gave me.
http://7-zip.org/
u can download 7zip here for free and then extract the folder from the 7z archive, winrar also works.