Tatooine map (In Progress)

Started by Ginev, June 23, 2013, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
This talk about deployble objects reminded me of something I found a while back:

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=582.0

Does anyone still know how to do this?  You could use the crates as a shield, I guess.

Very interesting!Thanks for the link but still can someone send me the ODFs file?  :P  Please!  :moo:

August 01, 2013, 09:03:22 AM #107 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:12:41 AM by Snake
Ok i really need help here!!!Now i am in BIG RAGE (lol) and the thing don't want to get work!Here is the problem:

Today i played Tatooine (the city map) and i found that one model (The big barge in the dock) have a gloss effect.I was think that this is impossible in BF1 but actually its possible.Look this picture it look very cool:

I use HEX EDITOR and open the barge.msh and i have found that the gloss texture have after the ATRB in the 6st place 1C.And i did the same with my model.First i use Repsharpshooter meshtool to add bumpmap to my model after that place 1C in the 6st place.When i munge there was no gloss.Why is not working?I add option files just like the barge model.This is my model.(Its only for tests)My model have only simple bumpmap without gloss:

Please help if someone have did that before to explain!!!!!!  :'( :help: :nervous:

Hmm.. Well maybe it has to do with the .tga option? That .tga is tat2_bldg_crashed_spaceship2 if that helps any. I have no idea.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

August 01, 2013, 09:46:30 AM #109 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:18:05 AM by tirpider
I'm not sure of an exact answer, but I'll walk through it real quick and see what happens.

The 6th place after ATRB is the render type.
The 1C is the hex representation of 28.

quick list of all the render types for future reference:
LIST OF RENDER TYPES AND THIER VALUES:
0 = nothing
1 = Glow
2 = Lightmap
3 = Scroll
4 = Specmap
5 = Glossmap
6 = Chrome
7 = Animate
8 = Ice
9 = Sky
10 = Water
11 = DETAIL
12 = SCROLL2V
13 = ROTATE
14 = GLOW_ROTATE
15 = PLANAR_REFLECTION
16 = GLOW_SCROLL
17 = GLOW_SCROLL2V
18 = CURVED_REFLECTION
19 = NORMALMAP_FADE
20 = NORMALMAP_INVFADE
21 = ICE_REFLECTION
22 = ICE_REFRACTION
23 = EMBOSS
24 = WIREFRAME
25 = ENERGY
26 = AFTERBURNER
27 = BUMPMAP
28 = BUMPMAP_GLOSSMAP
29 = TELEPORTAL
30 = MULTISTATE
31 = SHIELD

28 = BUMPMAP_GLOSSMAP

As is with a lot of the render types, other stuff has to be set up for it to work.
Things to look for are .option settings and whether the tga has an alpha channel or not (if it's 32 bit, it does, if it is 24 bit, it's just rgb,) and the tga's .option.

The tga for that part of the barge (tat2_bldg_crashed_spaceship2.tga) is 24 bit, so it does not have an alpha.

The .option for the msh:
-bump tat_barge tat_skiff01
Just the bump stuff so we know nothing is needed here to get gloss to gloss.

The .option for tat2_bldg_crashed_spaceship2.tga:
-8bit -compress -mipdistance 20
I do not believe those are needed for gloss.  Someone with more experience might know different. But I'm pretty sure they aren't relevant here.

hmm...
You have bump bumping. So the gloss part looks like it just need to be set and it should work.

I just read in an old doc that 28 needs to have specular enabled, but the stock model seems to be glossing quite fine without it. So that isn't it.

The bumpmap tga is also 24 bit, so it isn't providing glossmap info.

I've got some research stuff I did a few months back. I'm going to dig up more Bump+Gloss examples from the stock assets. BRB

-edit: more info
Ok, I got 35 models using render type 28.
[spoiler]com_1st_weap_inf_torpedo.msh
com_bldg_controlzone.msh
com_bldg_controlzone_large.msh
com_item_healthrecharge.msh
gam_1st_weap_inf_axe.msh
gam_1st_weap_inf_vibrolance.msh
gam_1st_weap_inf_weequayaxe.msh
gam_inf_weap_axe.msh
tat3_prop_carbonite.msh
tat3_prop_droid_rubbish01.msh
tat3_prop_droid_rubbish03.msh
kam_prop_antiaircraft.msh
end_bldg_bunker.msh
geo_bldg_geoturret.msh
kas2_bldg_platform_1.msh
tat_bldg_barge.msh
tat2_bldg_crashed_spaceship.msh
tat2_bldg_small2.msh
tat2_prop_prop1.msh
all_1st_weap_inf_launcher.msh
all_1st_weap_inf_pistol.msh
all_1st_weap_inf_rifle.msh
all_1st_weap_inf_seeker.msh
all_1st_weap_inf_sniperrifle.msh
cis_1st_weap_inf_launcher.msh
cis_1st_weap_inf_pistol.msh
cis_1st_weap_inf_rifle.msh
cis_1st_weap_inf_sniperrifle.msh
imp_1st_weap_inf_launcher.msh
imp_1st_weap_inf_pistol.msh
imp_1st_weap_inf_rifle.msh
imp_1st_weap_inf_sniperrifle.msh
rep_1st_weap_inf_pistol.msh
rep_1st_weap_inf_rifle.msh
rep_1st_weap_inf_sniperrifle.msh
[/spoiler]
And not a single one has the specular flag set, so that is just wrong info.

Gonna check the tga's for alpha. They are scattered across the asset folders so this might take several min.

-edit: more info
Ok. It's a mix. Several do not have an alpha, while most do. (All the *1st* models listed above have it.)
Some don't have any .option files and the only common thing between the ones that do is the "-8bit" option.

2 things left to check for examples.
Color and specular delay settings, and the sky file.
Sereja found that to get some things working right the sky file had to be set up for it. (I don't know what those settings might be.)

brb

Thanks alot man.If you have time you can speak with sereja.He know this things and i think he can help.I can do this myself too but my english is bad and it will take too much time until i explain him what exactly i am looking for :D

There is no specific setting for specular decay across the above models. They range from 15 to 90 and all the color settings are very close to default material colors.

I dug around the stock sky files looking for something that looked relevant.. I found nothing.

I don't know what to say about this one. I have a batch of tests coming up and I'll slip some bumpy gloss models in to see what is to be seen. But I have an old video card and it's gotten in the way of testing fancy render types before, so I may get it right and still not see it.

If Sereja has some advice on how to get Bump+Gloss working, that would rock.
(Hint: Sereja, help!) ;)

Oh, guys, thank's for believe in my skills, but I know not much then yours about that...
Ñurious question: are you try, to put all those barge assets, in to your mod map, and set all tatooine sky parametrs? Is it still have a gloss? No?
Possible explanation: creators made one model, or option parameters for assets, and another one, for the game... ;)
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on August 01, 2013, 10:48:35 AM
creators made one model, or option parameters for assets, and another one, for the game... ;)

I have suspected this from the beginning :P

so the stock models can have gloss but we can't do that to our custom models.Damn you Pandemic DAMN YOU!!!!  :rant:  :confused:

August 01, 2013, 12:52:25 PM #115 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:04:14 PM by Sereja
Heh, creators can't hide all the secrets, when I am still here. ;)
[spoiler][/spoiler]
The gloss, is possible now! :cheer:
Still, I can't say, I realy know, how it work's, and more detail exploration of this, still lefts for tirpider.

Here what I done: I copy this part of the code, from com_item_healthrecharge (it's realy have gloss in assets):
[spoiler]333?333?333?..€?..€?yéf?Tãe?..€?š™™>š™™>š™™>..€?.. BATRB........TX0D....com_item_healthrecharge.tga.TX1D$...com_item_healthrecharge_bump.tga....MATD€...NAME....Material4...DATA4...[/spoiler]
Sorry, in some reason, I can't copy numbers here, but I guess, you know, what this all mean :P
And paste it, by overwriting the old yavin column code:
[spoiler]333?333?333?..€?..€?..€?..€?..€?š™™>š™™>š™™>..€?..@AATRB........TX0D....yav2_bldg_details.tga...MATD|...NAME....Material1...DATA4...[/spoiler]

Then change texture names to yav2_bldg_details, and fix the msh with MSH_TAG_SIZE_VALIDATION_TOOL. Delete msh.option file (for this model it's no needed, and bump from msh.option, realy kills gloss.
That's it! 8)
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Ok.
I got some good glossy stuff happening by copying over that same material you used, Sereja.
(material 1 in the medical droid)

With no .msh.option (same as you.)

You can see I left the bump as the healthdroid bump. Kinda wierd, but it seems to be bumping even without the .msh.option (that's wierd.)

I haven't compared the colors, but I did notice the specular delay was set really high (80). I have no idea what that means. :P

Gonna tear into it more, just wanted to confirm that I'm getting good results with your suggestion, Sereja.
(I couldn't read the data values from your code so I had to copy it from the health droid msh directly. Such is the way with hex. :P )

We'll get this bumpy gloss glossing.

Looks awesome!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I think I have an .odf file somewhere for a crate dispenser or something close.  I'll need to look for it real quick or whip it up.

Notice:  In case you only read a little, follow-me crate does not work in MP.  I have a deployable mouse droid just like it and it crashes MP.  But the crate itself does work in MP I think.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Ok i am not very good in hex editing so can someone tell me how to copy parts from the codes?What buttons you guys click/hold?I don't know hot to copy the part...And from where i can get that tool that sereja have talk about?