OverrideTexture compatible ATST Pilot

Started by tirpider, October 18, 2012, 03:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 18, 2012, 03:46:42 AM Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:49:02 PM by tirpider
OverrideTexture compatible ATST Pilot

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=771

tirpider - editing
Pandemic - source materials

A kitbash of the following:
SWBF1 imp_inf_atstpilot.msh (Pandemic)
and the various tga's, .options, and lowres models that they came with.

Changes:
- Rebuilt NDXL and NDXT tags for compatibility with my process. (only affects console munging, and should be fine.)
- Made OverrideTexture compatible
   - Merged unweighted MODL's as SEGM's into main body MODL.
   - Merged unweighted MODL's as SEGM's into first accessory MODL.(pauldron, backpack, packs)
   - Created wght's for unweighted parts.
   - Re-indexed ENVLs and MNDXs and adjusted WGHTs accordingly.
   - renamed MODLs.
   - Seperated Body/Helmet/Goggles. (See notes below)

Possible future edits:
- Different Helmet and/or head.
- I left the shadow as is. If any head or helmet swapping happens, then I'll try to seperate the various shadow elements as needed. It is all one solid mesh though, so it isn't as straight forward as most.
  - There are 2 bad polygons in the shadow, according to 3doc. I can't find anything wrong with them. Removing them would mess up a pretty big strip, so I have left them and may re-rebuild the indexed tri/poly lists and triangle strips. These errors don't affect in-game preformance at all.

To make use of the override texture, the following line needs to be in the unit's odf
(replace texturename with the name of your texture)
OverrideTexture  = "texturename"  // body, helmet, goggles
OverrideTexture2 = "texturename"  // face

I left the filename the same as the original as it is meant to be used as a replacement for the original.
It still requires the same tgas as the original
imp_inf_atstpilot.tga
Imperial_face01.tga

Notes:
I have to mention that this model's lowres rigging was more complex than the highres. The Hands, helmet and goggles were in seperate modl chunks where in the highres, they were included in a single segm of the body chunk.

The materials were more diverse, as well. Highres had 3 deffinitions, while lowres had 5.

I only mention it as a bit of behind the scenes trivia. It makes me wonder about the complexities of creating game content on a schedule and how some revisions end up being rushed or dropped half way through.

I'm seperating the helmet and goggle geometry, and after testing, I might inroduce the lowres material defnitions to the highres, to see if there is an improvment or fault. /I saw no diff so I put it back the way it was. I'd rather err on the side of known functionality than risk it breaking something later.

-tirpider (tirpider@yahoo.com)
visit http://www.swbfgamers.com/

-edit
  "Seperated Body/Helmet/Goggles." was listed in future edits. It is corrected above, but not in the readme.