On Star Wars and it's directing.

Started by SleepKiller, August 30, 2012, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 31, 2012, 08:02:56 AM #15 Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:06:46 AM by {TcF}Dr.Penguin
The clone wars(New one not original) is terrible.

Quote from: kitfisto15678 {GLT} Commander on August 31, 2012, 06:20:20 AM
The main reason I don't like the new episode IV is because at the very end when they show the ghosts anakin is young!?!?
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, considering both Obi Wan and Yoda appeared as they were when they died (and in the form Luke had known them)
and yet "they" shoved Hayden Christensen in there on top of the actor we all saw in the Vader Costume 5 minutes previous.

Lucas was once a brilliant director with some great cult classics such as THX 1138 and American Graffiti to his name and of course Star Wars IV and VI, and proved he could write interesting stories with films such as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

What I'd like to think happened with the prequels is that the kind of people who would question Lucas' creative decisions were no-longer around, and thus George had his way with EVERYTHING.
This isn't particularly good for any director... (except Stanley Kubrick, no-ones tells him what to do), they need people to keep them in-check and bounce ideas off.

So with the prequels I suppose these sorts of people weren't around, and instead RICK MCCALLUM was there. Rick was the guy who pushed for unnecessary re-edits  of the originals and is greatly responsible for the excessive use of CGI in the prequels
(Sure it's visually nice to look at for action sequences but CGI instead of sets is generally no good for actors).

So yes... the point... It's not Lucas' fault, there was a whole bunch of things that piled on-top of each other which prevented Lucas from giving the prequels decent direction.

Quote from: kitfisto15678 {GLT} Commander on August 31, 2012, 06:20:20 AM
The main reason I don't like the new episode IV is because at the very end when they show the ghosts anakin is young!?!? What the heck!!! The other actor looked cooler anyway!!

I think it is because thats when he "died" on the inside as a good guy or something like that. Idk  :P
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on August 31, 2012, 03:09:08 PM
I think it is because thats when he "died" on the inside as a good guy or something like that. Idk  :P
I guess but that seems kinda odd...
Quote from: Regent on August 31, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, considering both Obi Wan and Yoda appeared as they were when they died (and in the form Luke had known them)
and yet "they" shoved Hayden Christensen in there on top of the actor we all saw in the Vader Costume 5 minutes previous.

Lucas was once a brilliant director with some great cult classics such as THX 1138 and American Graffiti to his name and of course Star Wars IV and VI, and proved he could write interesting stories with films such as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

What I'd like to think happened with the prequels is that the kind of people who would question Lucas' creative decisions were no-longer around, and thus George had his way with EVERYTHING.
This isn't particularly good for any director... (except Stanley Kubrick, no-ones tells him what to do), they need people to keep them in-check and bounce ideas off.

So with the prequels I suppose these sorts of people weren't around, and instead RICK MCCALLUM was there. Rick was the guy who pushed for unnecessary re-edits  of the originals and is greatly responsible for the excessive use of CGI in the prequels
(Sure it's visually nice to look at for action sequences but CGI instead of sets is generally no good for actors).

So yes... the point... It's not Lucas' fault, there was a whole bunch of things that piled on-top of each other which prevented Lucas from giving the prequels decent direction.
Regent's got it. It isn't solely george's fault. And rick mccallum cares more about the $$ ( € or £ or ¥ :P ) and that is why they didn't have as solid of a story line etc.