Partition an external HDD to FAT

Started by shadow, April 07, 2010, 11:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok guys. I want to back up my PS3 data so I can upgrade the HDD (55 GB is not enough:P) Anyway, I have an external HDD which I tried using but I didn't know PS3s only read FAT32 file system formatted stuff, and obviously the external was NTFS. I know I can partition it through System Disk on my mac, but here are my questions:

-Can I partition it and have one partition be FAT file system and the other one NTFS?

-Will it delete all my already stored data on my external HDD during the partition process?

Google has been down on my country I already googled for solutions but haven't been able to find any.

Yes, you can partition it with any combination you like (in theory).
No, it will not delete everything, however you must allocate the space required for the new partition.

#TYBG

im not sure about Windows, but on Mac you are able to partition into any file system you choose. (FAT32 NTFS or just free space)

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Umm Russell, you can't format anything to NTFS on a Mac...

I'm assuming that Red is correct on this one.

#TYBG

April 08, 2010, 08:20:35 PM #4 Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:30:13 PM by shadow
Wow wow wow.

Sorry guys, I thought my external HDD was NTFS but it is actually HFS (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)).

Noobish mistake.

Anyway, does this change anything about partitioning and losing data?

EDIT: Nvm guys. Disk Utility says it will delete all data, so question solved. I'll figure a way to back that data up, and then use my partitioned external HDD on my PS3.

Pro tip: Be ready to always upgrade your console's HDD.

Quote from: ag on April 08, 2010, 02:43:54 PM
Umm Russell, you can't format anything to NTFS on a Mac...

I'm assuming that Red is correct on this one.
i am currently running Vista Ultimate on Mac and i am pretty sure that runs on NTFS, ag.

April 09, 2010, 03:43:21 PM #6 Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:47:29 PM by ag
Vista and Mac OSX are two different operating systems, you formatted your partition/virtual machine with Vista's installation disc, not by OSX. You can't boot up Mac OSX with an NTFS-formatted drive, just like how you can't boot up Windows with a Mac OS Extended-formatted drive.

I believe there is third party software that allows NTFS to be integrated into OSX, but I don't know the legality status of it or how much it costs.

#TYBG

when i said mac, i meant the computer as a whole, not just the OSX operating system. When i installed Ultimate on Mac through boot camp it worked just fine even tho it is configured in NTFS format.

Seeing how a Mac is merely a fancy assembled PC, yes that is possible.

Anyway, this has gone fairly off topic.

#TYBG