Overheating (Solved)

Started by Jedikiller, July 19, 2009, 11:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 19, 2009, 11:08:32 AM Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:57:49 PM by invertus
So recently, my computer has been losing video during games- it happens usually after an hour or so of extended play. I can still hear things, the computer is still on, and the video card is still running- there just isn't anything on the screen.

I'm thinking that it's a problem with the card alone, but I'm not sure how to fix the issue. Obviously, I could just get another card, but I'm not sure what the best I can buy for this old system will be. I guess another solution is to place a fan on it at all times, but it's rather unsightly to just leave the side off all the time.

Perhaps it isn't a GFX problem at all though, and is rather a PSU problem or something similar.

Thoughts?

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Hm....i have it when i host a game...or when i have to many programs on + when its very hot then i get some sort of screen in front of the normal screen. Whit an apple sign on it + in a lot of langueges the line: Restart your computer. I cant do anything so i must push the on button for several sec. ;__; but afterwords it allwways works again....

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Sorry to bump an old thread- this same exact thing happened to me the summer of 2006 when I used my family's laptop to play battlefront. It was so hot that summer, and the computer would just burn out and have weird crashes a half hour into playing the game, and it got shorter and shorter the longer the problem went on...I now use a desktop and haven't had the same problem since, it may be due to the ventilation I have in my room so if you don't have a window fan or air conditioning or something of the sort, try and get some wherever your computer is. If it's a laptop then I don't know, hopefully this problem can be fixed without having to get a bunch of fans out  ???
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Easy thing to do is clean around the computer, get a can of compressed air and clean out the fans and make sure there isn't too much stuff around your base unit. For a PC, if your unit is overheating badly, and all the time it's probably best to either invest in a new, larger case, or on with an extra fan. OR you can always go the whole hog and get water cooling :) But I think the other options are a bit cheaper ;)

You can also get a stand. For example, the iCurve: . I have it and it has saved y computer from overheates a lot!

Wouldn't work for a PC as JK mentioned or a laptop that ain't a Mac though. But you can get other cheaper stands for laptops than the iCurve :P Or if you really cba I suggest a couple of books underneath :) not big ones, otherwise they cover the fans and do the exact opposite...

Quote from: invertus on July 27, 2009, 05:09:37 AM
Wouldn't work for a PC as JK mentioned or a laptop that ain't a Mac though. But you can get other cheaper stands for laptops than the iCurve :P Or if you really cba I suggest a couple of books underneath :) not big ones, otherwise they cover the fans and do the exact opposite...

It would work with like some of the Dells I think and other PC's that are 13" or 15". There are plenty of others so well thats the best bet IMO.

Gotta remember base units overheat as well as laptops...