Would that be legal?

Started by Okwals97, June 24, 2021, 02:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Giftheck had created a detailed topic here in which he explained which assets we could use and which we should stay away from (or at least use them as rarely as possible). While it seems pretty clear, there is one thing that's on my mind and I wanted to ask about it here to get rid of any doubts.

I was wondering whether it would be legal to create a mod for the Rebel side in which I'd use the SWBF 2015 renders/wallpapers (that EA put out to promote the game) to make my own textures. I don't know how good (or bad) the results would be, but I'm  curious about it and as long as it wouldn't put a "terminate" mark on my back, I might be interested in trying to do something like this. :D

That particular rule is intended to mean assets ripped directly from the game. Screenshots or officially-released stills and renders as reference material for either models or textures is perfectly fine.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

So, just to make it clear (because you've mentioned using these screenshots as a reference material) - if I tried to cut parts of these renders and paste them onto the textures themselves, it would still be okay, right?

Yeah, that should be fine.  I will suggest you keep some screen shots of work as you go along in case things end up 'too perfect'.  Sereja got called out for using ripped assets, but he is just that good and had the screen shots to show his work  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks a lot, Guys. :cheers: I haven't even started working on that project yet, and if I find the results of my work on those textures awful, I'll decide not to go in that direction. I just wanted to make sure that I'd avoid a situation where I could come up with some satisfying results and then have to throw all that work away. :shrug:

FWIW, I personally think of a 'take as little as you can' approach works fine when it comes to assets ripped directly from one of DICE's game (more so now because they've been grandfathered in to Disney's EULA) - however, I would still say use as little as possible and try and find alternatives first - there's alternatives to practically everything out there.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Once again, thank you for the tip. :D  I've given this idea a try, but I wasn't fully satisfied with the process of making those textures, so I'll probably try out something else. Still, it was interesting to try this out. :happy: