Laptop Issues

Started by Gold Man, May 10, 2013, 07:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 10, 2013, 07:34:06 PM Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:01:36 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Well, I hate to say this, but I think after 3 years or so, my laptop is nearing the end of it's life cycle (possibly). After I did the defragmentation of my laptop a few weeks back, I have noticed some things. First off, I cannot watch YouTube videos in 720p HD format, I used to be able to. Secondly, my game won't handle certain modmaps. I tried playing Sereja's new Nar Shaddaa map, however it always crashes when it's loading, very similar to when I tried Snake's Utapau map. I have also noticed that recently my game overheats much faster than it used to.

To put it short, I'm just saying don't expect me to be in-game much (it will be even rarer now due to my laptop's troubles). However if anyone has ideas that could help me out in expanding my laptop's life cycle however, here's the specs you will need to know:

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv3z-entertainment/4507-3121_7-33557819.html

And for further detail about it, read this review here:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv3z.aspx

If anyone knows how I could fix up my laptop to repair these issues, that would be appreciated! Oh, and I'm looking for a cost-effective solution, I don't exactly got money for repairs, which is why I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue or one that requires me spending money.

Should've added this earlier, I do have a cooling pad, and it is elevated as well.

Have you tried a complete re-install of Windows from the recovery partition? (I assume it has one. They have been standard for quite a while.) You would be surprised at how much un-needed junk can start to clog up a computer over the years.

As for the overheating your going to want a cooling pad, shouldn't be too pricey. In the mean time, keep it elevated let air flow underneath it. Try sticking something at the front or back of it to assist with this.

Finally drop another stick o' RAM in it if it is starting to struggle with handling stuff. It'll either be, DDR2 or DDR3. Both are cheap now days. A 4GB stick should do nicely or just a 2GB one. You'll need to find out what kind of RAM you need, try going here and using their system scanner http://www.crucial.com/. (Although buying RAM from another place for cheaper could be a good idea if their prices are too high. Just don't go too down market.)

May 12, 2013, 12:25:06 PM #2 Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:29:39 PM by aeria.
HP is notorious for the amount of bloatware that's pre-installed. I recommend doing a fresh install of Windows, not through the recovery partition.

I agree with SleepKiller and get 4 GB of memory. Browsers are memory hogs in 2013. You laptop uses DDR2 memory so be sure not to order DDR3 memory, which is the newest option.

The AMD Turion dual core is about on-par with the early Core 2 Duo. It should be capable of YouTube and last-gen games like SWBF.

If you want to get adventurous, replacing the thermal paste is the cheapest thing you can do. It should improve the CPU temperature very well.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on May 12, 2013, 12:25:06 PM
HP is notorious for the amount of bloatware that's pre-installed. I recommend doing a fresh install of Windows, not through the recovery partition.

I agree with SleepKiller and get 4 GB of memory. Browsers are memory hogs in 2013. You laptop uses DDR2 memory so be sure not to order DDR3 memory, which is the newest option.

The AMD Turion dual core is about on-par with the early Core 2 Duo. It should be capable of YouTube and last-gen games like SWBF.

If you want to get adventurous, replacing the thermal paste is the cheapest thing you can do. It should improve the CPU temperature very well.

With the fresh reinstall option, will I lose any memory on the laptop already? Or should I transfer all files to like a USB or portable drive before doing that?

Anyway, glad to heard my AMD Turion isn't outdated much. :P I think I'l try out the idea you and SK suggested about more RAM, I'l see if I can fetch anything from my local Staples (store closing sale this week I think!) Besides, my IT teacher and my tech friends say that Vista eats up RAM, so it looks like I will try that option first before I try a reinstall.

Either way you'll lose everything on your computer. So be sure to backup files you don't want to lose. They only just added the ability to "refresh" Windows core files without deleting your documents (Not sure about programs, never used it.).

Also you could always upgrade to Windows 7, if you can get a hold of a copy of it.

Quote from: SleepKiller on May 12, 2013, 05:38:58 PM
Either way you'll lose everything on your computer. So be sure to backup files you don't want to lose. They only just added the ability to "refresh" Windows core files without deleting your documents (Not sure about programs, never used it.).

Also you could always upgrade to Windows 7, if you can get a hold of a copy of it.

I know I haven't responded to this in a while, figured I would anyway.

I'm planning to get a portable drive to clear out some space off my laptop (hopefully when I'm done school I'l be able to purchase it), however looking back at this, the RAM idea isn't lookin' too bad right now. I recently read up that 8GB of RAM is where you want to be at to play games, so I'm hoping if I can check back at my laptop's specs, I'l end up getting a 4GB stick of RAM, or a 6GB.

Either way, I plan to make adjustments to this laptop, and I plan to have this thing live until I graduate in 2015. I have no plans or money for a new laptop, so I guess all I can do is try and keep it alive and able to play games. I still hope to get the situation resolved ASAP once I'm done school so I can get back on SWBF and SWBFII and hang out with my friends and my clan!

I hate to bump, but I figure I'l update you guys on my situation:

I got my 8GB of RAM and my laptop runs slightly better than what it used to. Unfortunately, my computer is unaware of that, as I still overheat. I looked up if I did anything wrong installing it (which I didn't), but I found out something. Apparently I need 64-bit Vista on this laptop to get my 8GB of RAM to work. I only have 32-bit...

So, now I have to upgrade to the 64-bit version of Vista!  :rant:

Wondering though, if I upgrade to the 64-bit version, do I lose ALL data from my hard drive or no?

Well, oops. Forgot that you might not be on a 64-Bit OS. So long as you have to upgrade OS, go to Windows 7 http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371773811&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+home+premium+64+bit+upgrade. It may cost more, but it performs a lot better than Vista.

But the real question is what kind of processor are you using? If it is just a 32-Bit one you won't be able to run a 64-Bit OS. I for the life of me can't remember how you find out on Vista. Try going into computer properties. On 7 next to what kind of OS you are using it displays your processor type.

June 20, 2013, 05:46:31 PM #8 Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:59:16 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: SleepKiller on June 20, 2013, 05:24:30 PM
Well, oops. Forgot that you might not be on a 64-Bit OS. So long as you have to upgrade OS, go to Windows 7 http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371773811&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+home+premium+64+bit+upgrade. It may cost more, but it performs a lot better than Vista.

But the real question is what kind of processor are you using? If it is just a 32-Bit one you won't be able to run a 64-Bit OS. I for the life of me can't remember how you find out on Vista. Try going into computer properties. On 7 next to what kind of OS you are using it displays your processor type.

Well, I run an AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz on this thing.  The system type says it's a 64-bit operating system, but all my Program Files show up as x86. No idea what's going on there.

EDIT: Did some digging about the AMD Turion, it is a 64-bit dual core, but that doesn't explain the overheat issue. I figured the RAM would've helped out with the overheat issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Unless it's just the OS that's 32-bit, but the processor is 64-bit.

EDIT: I've found out that I can still apparently play multiplayer SWBF, however I cannot play singleplayer, or else I overheat. SWBF2 also overheats whenever I play either mode.

i dont think that has anything to do with the x86. iv got 64 bit too, and its still x86

Alright, some more news on my laptop.

First off, I have figured out that it is 64-bit Vista Home Premium I'm running, however I still have yet to try SWBFII with the new RAM. Overall my laptop has run a bit smoother and the like, meaning good news! :D

Bad news, probably what I don't want to say. Ok, so today I was going to hop on my laptop and just look at the forums on there (I'm on my iPad using Puffin because Safari is being a jerk :P). So, I boot it up, and it takes a bit longer than usual to setup (I'm thinking ok, Vista is a big OS anyways, I don't mind). Next thing I know, I get a blank screen flashing every 5 seconds, with the scroll lock and caps lock lights flashing 3x in a row every 5 seconds. First time I'm thinking it's a glitch in the system, after I try it 3 times, then I start to wonder. So I quickly checked the HP forums for help, found a topic with my issue. Then comes the worst part of the news, NOBODY HAS SOLVED THE FREAKING PROBLEM ON THE THREAD!!!  :rant:

So now, I'm officially stuck with a 5-year old HP deadweight piece of technology, that has 5GB of mods, SWBF1 disc inside, SWBFII on there, and many other important documents that I've used and played. I fear this might be it for my laptop, and after I upgraded to 8GB of RAM too... :(

Are you sure all of your pieces are compatible with your motherboard etc?