Getting SWBF on digital download sites.

Started by {PLA}gdh92, March 30, 2013, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
A few people have talked about getting battlefront on steam etc in the past so I thought a thread where anyone could post ideas. I think it's unlikely to happen but worth a try. :)

Apparently Steam only accepts request from publishers/developers they won't ask them for a game.

GOG has a section to vote for games you would like added here; https://secure.gog.com/wishlist/games#search=battlefront

Origin is the other big store I can think of and has The Old Republic and Lego Star Wars but unlike the other 2 I don't think it has much interest in older games.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

it would be excellent if it came to either the App store or Steam, well it worked wonders for  the JK2 community.

This could bring back Multiplayer, another company would host the servers....  :g:

Or maybe via 'hacking' or modding a new multi-player option in, have a real type of direct connect where the computer literally IS the host, and none of this dedicated server crap that gets shut down as a game isn't bought anymore...
It would be very nice to see SWBF back online, it would be even cooler to make a 2.0 version (yes I know, SWBFII is technically 2.0) using some nice units that are out there already. Perhaps get rid of that crappy Darth Vader and add the maps that were originally planned to go into SWBF.

I'm sure you're thinking something like "Yeah right, like that'll ever happen..."
But hey, I can dream can't I?

Recently a friend of mine has been asking about getting SWBF1 or 2 (the guys a huge Star Wars fan like me, and he would like to play it). I told him if he had any questions or problems about the game, he could make an account here and ask away. Just throwing that out there by the way.

Anyways, as for hacking in a new multiplayer system, I think it's possible. It's been done to dozens of games in the past, like one of the games from the Gamespy shutdown now has a patch for it's players to download so they can still play online. Even Tron 2.0 (a REALLY old game), has it's own multiplayer patch, and people still play it!

I think it's possible, but the coding involved would be tremendous if such a patch could be made.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on March 30, 2013, 03:22:35 PM
I think it's possible, but the coding involved would be tremendous if such a patch could be made.
I was thinking more of an Exe and Lua edit.
shouldn't be to hard compaired to what some of the local geniuses have done recently...

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on March 30, 2013, 03:25:53 PM
I was thinking more of an Exe and Lua edit.
shouldn't be to hard compaired to what some of the local geniuses have done recently...
I think that if you edit the .exe you wouldn't be able to talk about it here. Ask Led...

Quote from: Ltin on March 30, 2013, 03:19:47 PM
I thought origin was ea?

Origin = EA, le Mitt RomnEA.

Steam is operated by Valve.

Quote from: BlackScorpion on March 30, 2013, 03:41:54 PM
Steam is operated by THE MIGHTY GABEN.
/Fixed

I doubt they will bring it to digital distribution. I think that's the gap "First Assault" is meant to be filling.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on March 30, 2013, 04:33:27 PM
/Fixed

I doubt they will bring it to digital distribution. I think that's the gap "First Assault" is meant to be filling.

Eh, they wouldn't release it at the same time because they wouldn't want one to cannibalize the other; however, would that mean that they would never release it?

Quote from: BlackScorpion on March 30, 2013, 04:57:21 PM

Eh, they wouldn't release it at the same time because they wouldn't want one to cannibalize the other; however, would that mean that they would never release it?
Well of course I can't say that 'they' will absolutely never release it in digital format. But I sincerely doubt it happening in the near future. Unless... perhaps on the 10th anniversary?