How can I change the look of a unit for my map?

Started by KommissarReb, May 11, 2019, 11:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks for stepping in, Dark_Phantom. I was asleep when this message came through.

KommissarReb - LVL files are compiled files. You don't do anything to them. You use the mod tools to create LVL files, and to create custom sides you need to modify the ODFs for each side then munge them into LVL files. Dark_Phantom's suggestion is a good place to start if you're unsure. There's also a few tutorials both here and on Gametoast.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I can now successfully make custom units with the help of the side builder.

The bad news is when I wanted to give the sandtrooper and imperial pilot the CIS blaster pistol, it doesn't make firing sounds. I tried adding "ReadDataFile("sound\\tat.lvl;tat1cw");" after --start soundlvl, tried renaming it "ReadDataFile("dc:sound\\tat.lvl;tat1cw");", and putting both before "ReadDataFile("dc:SIDE\\imp.lvl"," but the firing sounds still won't work. Am I typing something wrong?
In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance.

Quote from: KommissarReb on May 18, 2019, 01:38:47 PM
I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I can now successfully make custom units with the help of the side builder.

The bad news is when I wanted to give the sandtrooper and imperial pilot the CIS blaster pistol, it doesn't make firing sounds. I tried adding "ReadDataFile("sound\\tat.lvl;tat1cw");" after --start soundlvl, tried renaming it "ReadDataFile("dc:sound\\tat.lvl;tat1cw");", and putting both before "ReadDataFile("dc:SIDE\\imp.lvl"," but the firing sounds still won't work. Am I typing something wrong?

Did you copy over the CIS Blaster Pistol odf unchanged? (cis_weap_inf_pistol)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Yes I did. Do I have to change something to make it work?

I also made a custom local side called DES (using the DES folder already there since it has a munge.bat) with Side.lvl builder which contains a Gamorrean Guard, a Jawa that I armed with a DN bolt caster that I reskinned to look like a mortar launcher, and a new unit called des_inf_soldier that has a blaster rifle, a missile launcher, and a fusion cutter. I moved in all these units' ODF and MSH files and added them to des.req and everything, so I don't know why their sounds aren't working either. Three things I noticed about the sounds not working is the firing sounds for the Naboo Guard's blaster rifle and TIE-Bomber weapons work, but the Guard's voice, Jawa's voice and weapon, Gamorrean voice, and even the Imperial IFT-T (imp_hover_fightertank) don't work.

What am I supposed to change?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark: the sounds you are missing are in other sound.lvl files like nab.lvl. Not completely sure where though, you'd have to look at the Theed historical mission for the guards and in missions where the sounds work
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

What files do I have to add or move to get their sound effects working? Does anyone know that one? I've seen some maps where the sound effects don't work for units.