Is this ok to do or not (involves SWBF1+2 for ps2 and xbox)

Started by jdee-barc, October 16, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was wondering how legal or illegal or just not right this is: taking the PS2 and Xbox versions of SWBF and SWBF2, playing them on a pc using an emulator, while using DXRipper to extract pS2 and xbox versions of models.

I'm wondering this from when i was playing SWBF2 on my friend's ps2 and noticed that the pistol model for the imperials was much different then the model for the pc version (the ps2 version looked accurate, the pc version, well, it looks like a pointed tube with a pistol grip and a small scope. I'd also make comparesions about the other models too.

I need your opinion.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

I think as long as you own the console itself you can legaly use an elumator to run it on a PC.

i have no such console. so i'd be doing this with my friend on his pc as he has both a ps2 consoleand ps2 emulator and his pc's like a state of the art custom gaming rig (i just have a crap netbook).
Current Projects:

even the part about extracting the models? i mean, they both come from Pandemic.
Current Projects:

Well that may be slightly less legal but your right they both come from Pandemic..   :shrug:

i'll probably do it then.
Current Projects:

Quote from: jdee-barc on October 16, 2011, 06:51:56 PM
i'll probably do it then.
I'd love to help, maybe test the different pistol meshes in game if you want.

ive extracted bf2 from my ps2 to my pc, and i played it on an emulator, the files are encrypted in some type of format that i cant decphier either so its kinda no use because i think its the standard ps2 format files

Really my copy of SWBFII for PS2 has the LVL files on it.

and whether i have the lvl files or not, shouldn't matter. i'm playing on a n emulator and ripping models from frame captures with dxripper.
Current Projects:

ok. this small modding trip will be progressing behind closed doors with me and my friend (his name's oliver). DO NOT ask for the models until we've made sure we can release them, problem-free, and until were done making sure they have no bugs or issues
Current Projects:

October 18, 2011, 08:42:57 AM #13 Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:43:49 PM by Phobos Developer
Bamdur is saying the ps2 does NOT have different models, only better quailty textures? If this is the case I can easily extract the textures from the LVL files. If not, then how do you use DX ripper with swbf1?

No, no SWBF for the PS2 and xBox have worse models and textures due to the fact PC gamers have far better machines than any console can have.