(SOLVED) Mystery Endor wooden rolling logs

Started by Ginev, April 27, 2016, 01:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 27, 2016, 01:04:32 AM Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:40:24 AM by Ginev
For 2 years im think should i mention this but i always forget.Some of you may know the Endor rolling log trap?The one that when an Impirial AT-ST is nearby the logs start falling from top of the hill and kill the AT-ST.i tryed creating my own version of the wooden logs and replace them with the msh model.Im using the Endor logs original odf file but ingame my logs simply do not roll properly.They are somehow...sliding down the hill 2 meters up in the air.Thats not right.I know what i am doing but its not working.If someone more experienced have time please could you guys check this mistery.  :wacko:

EDIT:Thanks to Sereja this problem is now solved.

Solution:
This is the odf file for single rolling log:(The msh name GRollingPipe is just my example.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[GameObjectClass]      

ClassLabel      =   "armedbuilding"
GeometryName   =   "GRollingPipe.msh"

[Properties]      

GeometryName   =   "GRollingPipe"

MaxHealth       = 70.0

ExplosionName       = ""

AINoRepair      = 1

RespawnTime   = "10"

DestroyedGeometryName    = ""

FoleyFXGroup   =   "wood_foley"

SoldierCollision = "p_cylinder"

OrdnanceCollision      = "p_cylinder"

//BuildingCollision       = "p_sphere"

CHUNKSECTION       = "CHUNK1"
ChunkGeometryName    = "GRollingPipe"
ChunkNodeName = "hp_log"
ChunkTerrainCollisions    = "255"
ChunkPhysics       = "SIMPLE"
ChunkVelocityFactor    = 0.0
ChunkSpeed          = 0.0
ChunkBounciness      = 0.7
ChunkSimpleFriction   = 0.12
ChunkDeathSpeed      = 3.0
ChunkKeepSoldierCollision = 1.0
//ChunkInitialCollisionSound = "end_log_collision"
//ChunkScrapeCollisionSound  = "end_log_roll"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure to have this line in the chunk section:
ChunkKeepSoldierCollision = 1.0

or your rolling model will move through soldiers.
Also you must add primitive cylinder with the name p_cylinder so your model can roll on the ground when you shoot it.Thats all.

Credits for Sereja for the help!  :tu:

Here is some extra information from him regarding XSI:

Sereja:Well, it's could be done only with XSI.
On the left panel click: Primitive>Polygon Mesh>Cylinder. Rename it to the p_cylinder. (primitive collision could be cylinder, cube and sphere only). Adjust the size of it, only by double click on it in the Explorer window and change only Radius and Heght in pop-up window. Never change size by Transform panel. You may change only rotation and translation by it. (size by Transform panel could be changed only for cube) Never freeze it or change count of Subdivisions. Hide it, and your primitive collision will be ready.

I never tried replacing the .msh file, but I remember the collisions and physics being really wonky (probably why the basic physics like that were taken out).  I would try analyzing the msh against yours, or maybe even editing the log.msh slightly to see how the engine reacts.  I have personally always wanted to throw some different objects but never got the chance.  If I get some time, I'll see if I can shed any light on it.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

April 27, 2016, 09:56:37 AM #2 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:08:20 PM by Ginev
Thanks.I was thinking even to speak with Sereja about that since he have more experience.Still dont know what makes the original logs to roll properly.I checked them in XSI.They are simple msh model with normal collision.Why my rolls 2 meters in the sky.I even make them to be the exact same size like the Endor logs with the same collision....Mistery...  :shrug:

I will upload after some time my test pipes+the endor logs.
If someone want to try them put them on the edge of some hill so when you shot them they will begin falling down and watch.

So i added a link for the experimental pipes that im talking.In the file you guys will find the original Endor rolling log and my experimental rolling pipe.Like i said put them on a hill so when you shoot them they will start rolling and then just watch.The Endor log roll fine but my log....

https://jumpshare.com/v/Ty5K0HQ7TJ4kucWd01uH

May 07, 2016, 09:02:29 AM #4 Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:06:59 AM by Sereja
I can't test it for SWBF2, but here the few seconds of my working rolling stone trap 8) :
https://youtu.be/DHa2L88H_As
It is just a little bit remaded log gate trap, so it's totaly possible.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf: