Jabba's Palace

Started by Kit Fisto, November 14, 2012, 04:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I was wondering where did the map Tatooine: Jabba even come from? I mean why did LucasArts release it with a pach? Was it supposed to be a "preview" to SWBFII? Was it a map that was cut from the game, then put back in? What's the story behind it?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 14, 2012, 04:06:14 PM
So I was wondering where did the map Tatooine: Jabba even come from? I mean why did LucasArts release it with a pach? Was it supposed to be a "preview" to SWBFII? Was it a map that was cut from the game, then put back in? What's the story behind it?

Actually, the map was just an add-on they decided to have for the consoles, Jabbas was already on the PC version. I guess at that time DLC stuff was starting to kick off, so LucasArts decided to put up Jabba's Palace as a DLC for Xbox and PS2 players. Unfortunately the DLC is no longer, as Xbox servers for the game went down in 2010, and most of the newer copies already have it.

I belive the price for it too on the XBox LIVE Marketplace at the time was like 300 Microsoft Points. :P

They added Jabba with 1.2, likely it was just a map that they had been working on and it didn't quite make the cut for the final build, but it was so close it was worth fixing whatever problem it had (its a very complex map in terms of animations, doors, act) A number of maps were never finished i'm sure. And jabba was just a bloody awesome map to add into the game so why not add it?
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Hmm. I wonder why SWBFII didn't get any other maps added to it. I love Jabba's Palace map!  :cheer: It does have a lot of stuff 1.0 SWBF doesn't have. Like DOORS.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 14, 2012, 04:25:54 PM
Hmm. I wonder why SWBFII didn't get any other maps added to it. I love Jabba's Palace map!  :cheer: It does have a lot of stuff 1.0 SWBF doesn't have. Like DOORS.

You have a point there, I've never seen another SWBF map with doors other than Jabba's Palace, stock map wise anyways.

November 14, 2012, 04:35:43 PM #5 Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:37:42 PM by Hardcore
Well, mainly because SWBF2 got less updates in some ways and because it came with more maps. it started out with 30? i'm pretty sure counting all the land, space, and faction story maps.

SWBF2 always felt like they "finished" it (only offical update was a 1.1 fixing a few live bugs) Where SWBF1 always felt like so many things were left on unfinished....like the not fully released/finished 1.3 update for SWBF1

And they did release some DLC for it, the original SWBF1 maps were released as a mappack on xbox if i recall right.
Edit: looking it up to see if i was right in remembering, it seems they also added in 3 hero players with that map pack too.

Quote from: Hardcore on November 14, 2012, 04:35:43 PM
Well, mainly because SWBF2 got less updates in some ways and because it came with more maps. it started out with 30? i'm pretty sure counting all the land, space, and faction story maps.

SWBF2 always felt like they "finished" it (only offical update was a 1.1 fixing a few live bugs) Where SWBF1 always felt like so many things were left on unfinished....like the not fully released/finished 1.3 update for SWBF1

And they did release some DLC for it, the original SWBF1 maps were released as a mappack on xbox if i recall right.
Yes the SWBFII xbox live DLC patch added like half the SWBFI maps into SWBFII. But they left out some good ones. :slap:
Is there a noticible difference with the 1.3 update over 1.2 in terms of gameplay?

QuoteReminder this is a BETA version for Battlefront and may not work on all systems and is for the U.S. version of the game only. Version 1.2 must be installed first in order for this version to be properly installed
This update addresses the following:
CHANGES FROM 1.2
Multiplayer

Unlocked frame rate
Better tolerance of latency spikes and frame rate spikes
Fixed an end of game hang
Better smoothing of predicted positions and orientations
Allow more maps specified from dedicated server command line
Better Droideka prediction
Added remote admin support for those hosting dedicated servers
Tighter clock synchronization under normal conditions
Fixed joining servers behind most firewalls
Allow more mod maps (was 50, now 512)
Global
Fixed CIS Pilot shooting backwards

NOTE: Users hosting Star Wars Battlefront PC Dedicated Servers will need to download and install the updated version of the PC Dedicated server software for compatibility with the 1.3 version update.

Basically it was mainly fixing alot of the problems the game has....the droideka seeming to "jolt" as much while rolling i'd expect, the mod map limit....just smoothing out the kinks the game still had.

So no notable Singleplayer changes? Not worth getting? I've never had the CIS pilot shoot backwards?! Only the REP pilot...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 14, 2012, 04:25:54 PM

Doors require animations, and I don't think they had time to do everything they wanted to, initially.  We can have them though, just see sereja's work.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Well, it was only ever released on the PC side but it did unlock a number of fun things, the freecamera (tho it can be added in to 1.2 by other means) and being able to put 512 mods in the list is great....i only ever play SP sometimes when i'm bored from time to time and it still seems worth installing to me.

Quote from: Buckler on November 14, 2012, 04:51:41 PM
Doors require animations, and I don't think they had time to do everything they wanted to, initially.  We can have them though, just see sereja's work.
Yes that was pretty cool seeing in SWBFI.
Random question Buckler but what is you profile picture? I see an 82 and a pb? Is that like your high school graduation year or something?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 14, 2012, 04:53:32 PM
Yes that was pretty cool seeing in SWBFI.
Random question Buckler but what is you profile picture? I see an 82 and a pb? Is that like your high school graduation year or something?

Funny thing about that. A friend of mine told me what it was. Cause "Pb" was was the elemental name for "Lead", and it is the 82nd element on the periodical table. Does it make sense now? :P

Oh!!! Now I see! Nice Led. Nice...
:cheers:

maybe we should consider setting up some vlan servers on SWBF v1.3 if its stable enough. that would allow us to host more mod maps for servers right?