GREAT DISCOVERY!!!!

Started by Kit Fisto, October 27, 2012, 10:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, I'll put more details tomorrow but here is a picture: [spoiler][/spoiler]

I was on my Mac... :cheer:

I have wondered if it was possible to do this for a while. I not having access to a mac have never been able to try to test out various methods. Interesting that it is possible. Please do explain.

YAY! I get to play with Kit! How did you do that and can PCs do the same to Macs?
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

October 28, 2012, 10:46:30 AM #3 Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:49:32 AM by regent
This is the port in question.
http://portingteam.com/files/file/7011-star-wars-battlefront/

Kit, how did you manage to get by the crash you were having?

Does this mean what I think it means? Macs can play on PC servers?

Quote from: SchTicK on October 28, 2012, 01:15:05 PM
Does this mean what I think it means? Macs can play on PC servers?
Yes you are correct... IF you have a 10.5.8 or higher computer...
Quote from: regent on October 28, 2012, 10:46:30 AM
Kit, how did you manage to get by the crash you were having?
I'm going to post a tutorial on it on how to install and get online to work correctly later today after I finish my school project.

Oh well that is slightly less interesting to me since I was aware of the port for a while now. I was even the one that gave you a link to it. I was thinking you were connecting via your native OSX application.

O.o :O
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 28, 2012, 03:47:47 PM
Oh well that is slightly less interesting to me since I was aware of the port for a while now. I was even the one that gave you a link to it. I was thinking you were connecting via your native OSX application.

I know this is an older topic but i just wanted to point out that sadly, even tho back in the day i managed to get the gamespy server working on the mac client, it was still pointless as the CD Key for the Mac version is not allowed by the gamespy server (Its actually 5 characters longer then the PC version keys)

So it was impossible to join any games.

QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Quote from: Hardcore on November 07, 2012, 02:25:05 PM
I know this is an older topic but i just wanted to point out that sadly, even tho back in the day i managed to get the gamespy server working on the mac client, it was still pointless as the CD Key for the Mac version is not allowed by the gamespy server (Its actually 5 characters longer then the PC version keys)

So it was impossible to join any games.

Did the server browser refuse to show servers (what happened when I tried doing that) or did it give you an error when tryign to join one.

If I recall correctly, the cdkey.txt file should contain your cd key. Did the mac client give you an error when you replaced it with a PC key?

#TYBG

November 07, 2012, 02:43:27 PM #11 Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:45:51 PM by Hardcore
While it did contain the key I never tried placing a pc key into the mac CD key file...
My conclusion after coming to this problem was mainly that the PC version and Mac version store the files in different locations thus even if i had used a PC key in the Mac version the gamespy server still would not have found it.

Namely:
Mac version stores the key inside a text file in the resource folder.
PC version stores the key i can only guess inside the CDKey.exe

Another problem may have been that if the CD Key had not been long enough the mac version may not have started as it would have thought (correctly) that it was a false key. Tho i can't remember if the mac version had a lock on the start up of the game.

I can no longer run the mac version so testing is...not easy.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Actually I remember now. That was one of the two issues. First off it couldn't recognize the cd key. Second, the server browser wouldn't display any servers.
It didnt solve any framerate problems either.

#TYBG