HL 2 AI Programing.

Started by Epifire, August 05, 2010, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys I just started some of my own projects, for modding some things in Half Life 2. First of all I wanted to make a map with, smart AI (as far as they go).

Are there any guides on basic AI mapping?

Example: For instance, your player spawns at the beggining, with out alerting the AI, untill breaching a trigger set perimiter. And then when steping past further areas,  there would be another zone to respawn more AI.

That and AI realationships. Like which ones attack, and which ones fall back. Does any one know where to find guides for stuff like that?
photobucket limit image removed

Anything steam and valve can be found on the steam forums. I get you somethinghing specific in a second

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

I actually have gone their once before. But when I posted on this subject, I didn't get any replies.

So thats why I came to ask, around here on MPC.

try posting the thread in a more *popular* topic

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:AI

Oh snap. Google works.

Search terms: half life 2 SDK AI pathing programing

Quote from: vf501 on August 08, 2010, 02:17:12 AM
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:AI

Oh snap. Google works.

Search terms: half life 2 SDK AI pathing programing

VF makes a good point. That should prove useful.

#TYBG

Well thanks either way. I guess its really hard to find the type of guide that I am looking for.

And since their are so many people using hammer, it just comes as a surprise. Once I get to know how to use hammer, I will be shure to write up a "how to get started on AI mapping".

But for now I guess its back to trial and error.   :dry:

not sure if this is what you are going for but i been on some amazing games using the gary's mod setup. try that out?

add me on steam if you want  johnston9234

The Valve Dev wiki I linked you is more than enough documentation to get started with AI in Source engine.  Its up to you to read it and practice with it.  Most people here barely can mod SWBF, so expecting a step by step hold your hand AI guide for Source is a bit much.

Quote from: vf501 on August 09, 2010, 09:15:09 PMexpecting a step by step hold your hand AI guide for Source is a bit much.

grays mod...

Quote from: Led Zeppelin > God on August 10, 2010, 05:40:26 AM
grays mod...

Gary's Mod 10. Either playing it or making mod/gametypes for it is not  a Step by Step guide for developing in the Source SDK.  For any part of it.  Source SDK is an entirely different beast, and even though GM is Source, what works in GM is not always translatable to another source game.  Some guides for working in GM can give hints and tips for general use.  But GM is not the Holy Grail of Source Modding you're making it out to be.

Mindless repetition of Gary's Mod is liken to someone saying "Unreal Tournament 3" to a person asking questions about the Unreal Engine Development Kit.  Both may be the same engine, but they operate on different premises for many functions.

your right, sorry.

i am just offering the game because it is extremely simple compared to the possibilities you can make in the game using Source