Damage Over Time Weapon

Started by Ascertes, May 10, 2018, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Simple question today. I was wondering if it was possible to have a weapon deal damage over time (think Boba Fett's flamethrower in BF2,) and if so, how to do it. I'm looking to create a unit that can "poison" enemy troops with its rifle.

Thanks in advance for any help!
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

I believe so.  Sleepkiller had a poison gas cloud that did something like that, i think.

You should also be able to use a reverse (negative) heal rate.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on May 10, 2018, 08:42:02 PM
You should also be able to use a reverse (negative) heal rate.

Is there an example I could look at for what code to insert into the ordnance ODF? I've been looking through the stock assets and haven't found anything pertaining to a negative heal rate so I'm a little in the dark on how to implement this properly.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

May 11, 2018, 11:52:09 AM #3 Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:54:20 AM by Dark_Phantom
As far as a negative heal rate, you should just be able to use:
AddHealth = -20
Lies above, look here. http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=6532.msg90906#msg90906

A place that may help you is the stock assets of Polis Massa - using an effect region and losing health.  I think the flamethrower is in the Geonosis: Chain Isle assets, and Sereja has used flamethrowers too I think. 
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on May 11, 2018, 11:52:09 AM
A place that may help you is the stock assets of Polis Massa - using an effect region and losing health.  I think the flamethrower is in the Geonosis: Chain Isle assets, and Sereja has used flamethrowers too I think. 

Hmm. I'm reading through the ODF's that Sereja provided in the link you sent me but nothing is really sticking out to me as to what specifically controls the duration of the damage. Lifespan seems to stick out, but I think that's the duration the ordnance itself lasts, not the damage.

I also went through the flamethrowers in the BF2 stock files and nothing helped their either. I feel like it should just be a simple 1 line piece of code...

Damage Over Time doesn't exist in SWBF1 as far as I recall. Sereja's using a similar trick to me: the Flamethrower's ordnance is a modified, invisible grenade with a flame as its trail effect that sticks to targets. When it sticks, it causes damage, then when it 'expires' (or 'explodes') it causes more damage.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Quote from: Gistech on May 12, 2018, 02:45:07 PM
Damage Over Time doesn't exist in SWBF1 as far as I recall. Sereja's using a similar trick to me: the Flamethrower's ordnance is a modified, invisible grenade with a flame as its trail effect that sticks to targets. When it sticks, it causes damage, then when it 'expires' (or 'explodes') it causes more damage.

I see...that's really disappointing. Back to the drawing board for this class then :|