Dedicated server performance very bad, any improvements I can make?

Started by sTo0z, January 01, 2023, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I ran into this issue many years ago when I tried a LAN party and never fixed it. Fast forward to today and I decided to try my luck at it again, but running into the same exact issue.

Server software: "swbattlefrontiipcserver_v1_1.exe"

Client software (from GOG): "setup_sw_battlefront2_2.0.0.5.exe"

This setup is purely a LAN setup, and I'm the only client connecting. The issue is that the gameplay is VERY bad, I wouldn't call it lag as the gameplay itself feels smooth, but the AI guys (and other players if I connect with them) constantly skip and blink all over the place.

In the server manager, I've changed:

Host Simulation Rate: 30 (not sure what this is exactly, tried leaving it default, tried changing it, didn't seem to help)
Server Type: LAN
Server Bandwidth Limit: 6 Mbps

Both the client machine and server machine are wired connections to the same router.

Server specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
6.00 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 19045.2364

Client specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 19045.2364

Is the server just too weak or something? Am I missing some other setting(s) that I need to fiddle with?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Quote from: sTo0z on January 01, 2023, 07:28:09 PMWindows 10 Home 19045.2364

There's your problem. Windows 10 is notorious for hogging up resources in the background making other more important programs lag bad.
If you can get access to a Windows 7 or 8 PC, try to install the game + server on that and see how it does.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

upgrade to windows 7
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

I don't think windows 10 is the real issue here...decrease the AI count and see if that helps.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on January 02, 2023, 07:33:23 AMI don't think windows 10 is the real issue here...decrease the AI count and see if that helps.

Hmmm... hard to say, played several games with max count reduced from 32 -> 16. Maybe it helped a little, but still pretty skippy. Checking the Server machine PC resources during a connected client, nothing is even remotely closed to max out (CPU, Memory, Disk, etc.)

If I create and play a multiplayer game via the in-game "Create" with 16 bots per side (so max 32) on the Windows 10 Home machine, the game runs buttery smooth. If I join this game from another client, the remote client is almost completely smooth, I did notice one of the snowspeeders (on Hoth) do a weird skip once in awhile while flying around, but most of the ground troop activity was smooth. Sometimes in the far background I'd notice a guy slide around in an awkward way, but nothing extreme.

2nd Client was connected via wireless, and not wired like the others.

Next I will try:
* Dedicated server via in-game on Home machine + connected client
* Dedicated server via server installer on Home machine + connected client
* In-game create and play on Server machine
* In-game create and play on Server machine + connected client
* Dedicated server via in-game on Server machine + connected client

Hey! Keep us posted on the coming up tests, but IMO I wouldn't say the server should be lagging with those specs (independently of the OS).
I'd also look at the taskmgr to see what resources are being used: Memory + CPU usage and see if background ups are the root cause of the problem as could be background windows updates or the antimalware service.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com