Cato Neimoidia: Hanging City (SWBF Elite Squadron)

Started by Giftheck, August 02, 2020, 10:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's my next port. Cato Neimoidia is a map from Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron. It has taken more tinkering than the previous post to get this 'ready' (though there are a couple of potential bugs still to iron out). I figured the map is in a stable-enough state to play though, so here is Version 1.

The Republic, as with Kashyyyk, has a custom sides file with Phase 2 appearances (taken straight from SWBF2 in this instance), while the Empire has a new Dark Trooper replacement, the Jump Trooper.

DOWNLOAD

CREDITS:
Quote-Rebellion Developments - Original map
-Teancum - original map rip and conversion
-Krome Studios - Imperial Jump Trooper model
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Not sure if any other players experience this when playing in single player, but I noticed that the Republic side manages to capture more of the CPs very early in the game. This causes the CIS to start losing reinforcements right away, and tends to give the REPs a big advantage the longer it takes for the CIS to recapture CPs.

It might help to move the spawn points of the CIS units more forward closer to the CPs in the middle of the map, so that the CIS units can capture one or two CPs faster (rather than let them get scooped up by the Republic's AI bots).

August 04, 2020, 01:30:27 AM #2 Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:30:58 AM by Giftheck
Seems to be a carryover from the conversion - I didn't change the command post assignments. I'll look into moving spawn points.

I'm considering changing two of the command posts so that each team starts with one additional command post at the beginning.

EDIT: What I have done is give the CIS/Empire the Palace CP to begin with and added a couple of spawn points on the steps.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Giftheck,  I also noticed another issue when playing the map last night.

- played as the REPs, and I hopped into the AAT tank that spawns on the REP side of the map.
- as I drove the tank around (still on the REP side of the map) I think what happened was that I was backing up and my tank suddenly fell through the ground (it could be that the wall didn't block the tank from passing through it, the action was very chaotic at the time so I wasn't sure exactly where I was when this snafu suddenly occurred).

I'll see if I can repeat it again the next time I play. If you have time, try it for yourself and see if it happens on your system.

Quote from: Napseeker on August 06, 2020, 09:50:51 AM
Giftheck,  I also noticed another issue when playing the map last night.

- played as the REPs, and I hopped into the AAT tank that spawns on the REP side of the map.

Were the CIS in control of either the South Tower or North Tower command posts?

Quote- as I drove the tank around (still on the REP side of the map) I think what happened was that I was backing up and my tank suddenly fell through the ground (it could be that the wall didn't block the tank from passing through it, the action was very chaotic at the time so I wasn't sure exactly where I was when this snafu suddenly occurred).

I'll see if I can repeat it again the next time I play. If you have time, try it for yourself and see if it happens on your system.

Interesting... can you tell me where on the map this happened and I'll try to replicate it?
In Progress:

On Hold:

you could also remove the bleed counter.
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

August 07, 2020, 02:57:38 AM #6 Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:04:18 AM by Giftheck
Quote from: wsa30h on August 07, 2020, 02:33:15 AM
you could also remove the bleed counter.

In the grand scheme of things the bleed counter doesn't really affect the gameplay enough to remove it - the issue is the Republic/Rebels capturing the Courtyard CP first and thus it being very difficult for the CIS/Empire to fight on the map.

Here's a list of upcoming changes, BTW:

Quote-Assigned the Palace CP to the CIS/Empire in order to give them a chance to take the Courtyard CP
-Reassigned the tank spawns to the North and South Landing Pads.
-Swapped the AT-ST for the IFT-T.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Giftheck on August 06, 2020, 03:38:05 PM
Were the CIS in control of either the South Tower or North Tower command posts?

Interesting... can you tell me where on the map this happened and I'll try to replicate it?

I finally got a chance tonight to sit down and play with the map again.  I couldn't reproduce the "falling through" problem, I now wonder if maybe instead of backing up against the wall and passing through it, I had backed up over the ledge (next to the wall) and simply fallen over that ledge.  The AAT does tend to tumble around in the air when there are obstacles or units beneath it, the tank could've gotten bounced over to the ledge during the chaos.

I believe the CIS were in control of the North Tower when the AAT was generated BTW.

The other thing I saw is that when the CIS units arrive at the REP side of the map, and my unit was standing on that elevated rooftop, the units were able to shoot at me through the rooftop's floor.   NOTE that I'm playing on a mission map of CAT (which doesn't have a death region yet) so I need to play the regular map to see if it might happen there.  The CIS would probably have died due to the death region in the regular map.

Quote from: Napseeker on August 10, 2020, 09:44:29 PM
I finally got a chance tonight to sit down and play with the map again.  I couldn't reproduce the "falling through" problem, I now wonder if maybe instead of backing up against the wall and passing through it, I had backed up over the ledge (next to the wall) and simply fallen over that ledge.  The AAT does tend to tumble around in the air when there are obstacles or units beneath it, the tank could've gotten bounced over to the ledge during the chaos.

I'll keep an eye out for any collision holes near that area just in case.

[quoteI believe the CIS were in control of the North Tower when the AAT was generated BTW.[/quote]

That's going to be rectified when the next version releases - I'll assign the tanks to the landing pad CPs instead of the Tower CPs.

QuoteThe other thing I saw is that when the CIS units arrive at the REP side of the map, and my unit was standing on that elevated rooftop, the units were able to shoot at me through the rooftop's floor.   NOTE that I'm playing on a mission map of CAT (which doesn't have a death region yet) so I need to play the regular map to see if it might happen there.  The CIS would probably have died due to the death region in the regular map.

I did tweak the death region so that it sat just below the playable area so it's not likely to happen in the main version. (The death region's name is "permadeath", BTW)
In Progress:

On Hold:

August 14, 2020, 03:01:45 PM #9 Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:13:04 PM by Giftheck
Can you give me the definition that you are using for your "permadeath" death region?  I'll put the same settings into my overlay map .RGN file and see if that stops the CIS droids from shooting at my REP units standing on the roof.  I suspect that the problem will go away.

Quote from: Napseeker on August 14, 2020, 03:01:45 PM
Can you give me the definition that you are using for your "permadeath" death region?  I'll put the same settings into my overlay map .RGN file and see if that stops the CIS droids from shooting at my REP units standing on the roof.  I suspect that the problem will go away.

Here's what it is in the RGN file:

Region("permadeath", 0)
{
Position(-8.844841, 100.000000, -123.571655);
Rotation(1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000);
Size(3000.000000, 10.000000, 3000.000000);
Name("permadeath");
}

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, it's been some time since I last played a Napseeker Mission Map.
In Progress:

On Hold:

I originally wasn't going to release this mission map, but on reconsideration, I thought maybe other folks would like to see the CATO map populated with some Neimoidians (and of course the combined armies of Obi-Wan and Anakin, who I believed stormed Cato Neimoidia in the novel "Labyrinth of Evil"... I read it a long time ago, but I believe that's the book). 

Hey I've managed to reproduce the problem at last.  This happens on the real CAT map (and not just on my mission map/overlay map). 

- you can be driving either the AAT or the Republic hovertank
- the "hole" exists somewhere near the water fountain in the middle of the REP side of the map

- what I did was pilot the tank so that it rode over the fountain and then as the tank is inclined downward towards the ground, it suddenly drops right through the floor/ground. 

Now on my mission map, even with the deathregion you gave me, the tank falls a short distance, lands in the underworld of the map, I can get out and run around without dying.  In your map, the moment the tank drops through, you instantly die. 

So try driving around near that water fountain, especially try driving your tank over it and see what happens.  It's like a magic sinkhole of death coming out of nowhere  :)

August 15, 2020, 11:05:32 PM #12 Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:38:19 PM by Giftheck
Ah, gotcha! I should be able to fix that by adding a vehicle collision to the fountain.

Perhaps the vehicle gets destroyed in mine because the LUA has a minimum fly height? Mine is set to 150 for AI and 100 for the player.

BTW, which area are you referring to when you say 'rooftop'? Is it the bridge between the two buildings above the courtyard? I've recently redone the collision for that too - I noticed that a lot of the mesh was not welded together so that might explain why enemies can fire through.

EDIT: Some further changes for the next version, when it's ready:

-Added CIS skins for the Vulture Droid and AAT
-Added Security Droid instead of Super Battle Droid. Secruity Droid is a reskinned Battle Droid from the campaign.
-Added Asajj Ventress and Master Ferroda as heroes for the Clone Wars
In Progress:

On Hold:

August 17, 2020, 11:22:40 AM #13 Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:27:19 AM by Giftheck
Cato Neimoidia Version 2 for SWBF1 is live!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xFCaDpxkaXyT1MPE1n9gr4lHyLbRa6uT/view?usp=sharing

-Fixed certain collision issues
-Added custom heroes for both eras (Master Ferroda, Asajj Ventress, and General Kota)
-Assigned the Palace CP to the CIS/Empire in order to give them a chance to take the Courtyard CP
-Reassigned the tank spawns to the North and South Landing Pads.
-Swapped the AT-ST for the IFT-T.
-Added custom music for the GCW era

Not mentioned in the readme, but I added fog as well, and the skydome is based on Bespin Platforms. An unintentional effect of this is that it actually gives it the appearance of the film's Cato Neimoidia, which has clouds and fog over its hanging cities.
In Progress:

On Hold: