Mac SWBF Modding Information

Started by aeria., November 23, 2009, 05:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 23, 2009, 05:21:10 AM Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:24:16 AM by ag
Another information post to the rescue! Why was this made? People ask the same questions over and over! Ok, let's get to it.

Modding on OSX is possible, however limited. You see, the original Software Development Kit was for Windows ONLY. It's complete with a map editor and original assets used to make the original maps and factions.

Despite this, you could still edit factions (it's called SIDES in SWBF) on your Mac!

Now you ask yourself, "If these tools were for Windows, how is that possible?" Fear not! Download the SDK right now. They were kind enough to make it a .zip file instead of an installer.

Look at the screenshot:
http://img136.imageshack.us/i/mst1.png

We're not going to use most of the stuff there. Go to BFBuilder/Assests/Sides. You will see this:
http://img4.imageshack.us/i/mst2.png

Imageshack killed my images. Too bad...
Here's a rundown which side is which (Taken from Gametoast):

ALL = Rebel Allience
CIS = Separatists
DES = Desert Creatures (Like Jawas and Tuskins)
EWK = Ewoks
GAR = Jabba's Pigs (Garmelions or something like that, not sure how it is spelt)
GEO = Geonosions
GUN = Gungans
IMP = Imperial Empire
REP = Republic
SNW = something snow I think not sure what though
WOK = Wookies

Tutorials for editing factions are all over Gametoast and MPCGamers. I wrote (an incomplete) one on ODF Files. Pi made one about LUA files. Ask around for help! You'll see how certain files work.

Now you ask, how am I going to get these files to .lvl files so I play them? Well, unfortunately, it's currently impossible to compile (SWBF calls it munge) files directly in OSX. You have the following options:

- Use x86 (Windows) emulator such as VMware or Parallels
- For PPC users, use Virtual PC (I'm not linking it because it is incredibly old)
- Use the closest PC available
- Upload the whole ALL folder (or at least the files you edited) for a PC modder to munge for you. There are several people including myself who will gladly do that for you.

That's pretty much the basic rundown of Mac Modding. Feel free to ask any questions you have in this forum.

--Aeria Gloris

#TYBG

Im confused. a while back, i downloaded the modding tools on my mac.  I couldnt figure out what to do with them si i deleted them.  Then, i made an account on mpc and learned that modding was just for PCs and how do you mod i dont get it./

I'll probably make a tutorial since unfortunately Mac users are utterly confused when it comes to modding.

As for keenmike, hexediting is also another option you can take to modding, however that's far more limited options than starting from the original assets. I think all that does is switch weapons and players around.

#TYBG

Quote from: ag on November 23, 2009, 05:24:45 PM
switch weapons and players around.
ag, how or what would i have to look for to do this. it would be cool to have a just gunner server.

Swich weapons and players around.....
Id be happy with that on my mac-as long as wpn damage can be increased but i have no more hard drive space so ill leave the modding to te pcs.