Space: Coruscant

Started by ggctuk, November 17, 2009, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm mainly using this as a testing ground for stuff that's in my Main Play Mod, but, yeah. Basically I'm making a Coruscant Space map.

These are the following features thus far:

- All craft accounted for
- Prop Capital ships have been assembled in the battle around the main area to give a better impression of a massive-scale battle.
- Lightsaber Hilts!
- Vehicles have been made a little more canonical. The ARC-170 now has 3 seats!
- Invasion Parties - Prop Gunships allow for you to spawn on the enemy's capital ship (Napseeker gets the credit for this idea)
- Episode III music, straight from the official album.
- Pilot, Marine and Officer classes. Marine and Pilot are the same as BF2, while the Officer is a brand-new addition.

Screens are pending. I've just started work on the mainframe of it all.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

If theres any way to make the hangars less laggy than napseekers coruscant mod, it would be greatly appreciated.
I believe that there was a map called the clone wars space map CWSM on http://www.the-pants.org that had a map like this except with no side mod.
Also, it would be very cool if there was a way to incorporate napseekers buzz droid attack in the tri-fighter as a missile weapon that on impact with another ship, releases buzz droids that sabatoge it and make the pilot bail out :P  The three blue missiles taht firefrom the tri fighter are not accurate-those things on the wings are lasers.  the blue missiles in fact come fron the vulture droids, wich are also incorrect in SWBF2 as they fire proton torpedoes.
***I have to just say one thing-In my opinion the arc-170 lasers in the mpm fire too fast, overheat too fast, and still look red.  The CWSM had a better version of the lasers (seems about the same overheat rate and ROF of the interceptor and has a completely green color) Id suggest giving it a download to compare to your arc-170 weapons.

November 17, 2009, 02:22:34 PM #2 Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:24:37 PM by ggctuk
I've already changed the ARC-170 weapons.

As for the laggy hangars, I believe that was because napseeker had the fighting capships, but I didn't want to do that.

I've emulated a bigger battle by placing prop capital ships outside the boundaries. I've also adjusted the sky file so it's like Geonosis' sky, with the cruisers and fighters.

Another thing I've added (credits again to napseeker for the idea) is "Natives" to each ship. The Republic "Natives" are standard soldiers on-board, and the CIS has their standard soldiers, as well as a couple of MagnaGuards and Droidekas thrown in for good measure.

I'm still sorting ODFs out for the cap ships, though. I've never found BF1-compatible stuff for the cap ships, so I've had to reverse-engineer the BF2 ODF files, removing whatever does not work.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

mm sounds good.  Do you think anything can be done about having the tri fighters shoot buzz droids?

Cool! Keep us posted, this sounds interesting!

Quote from: Jon415 on November 17, 2009, 02:25:30 PM
mm sounds good.  Do you think anything can be done about having the tri fighters shoot buzz droids?

This is something that would be in beta2 of my map (it was supposed to be in beta1, but I never got the time to test it properly to make sure it wouldn't screw up the multiplayer game).  Am looking forward to seeing gg's version though, the eps3 music playing during the map will be something I would love to hear.  Oh, and yes I did notice that with the heavy f/x between the two cap ships caused a lot more slowdown than without but it's not much fun to just see the two ships sitting next to one another without firing a shot.

Yes but it is less fun if you are on a slow computer to take about 20 minutes to spawn on the enemy ship, find a fighter and navigate back to your ship, grab a fighter, and fly around (ground combat is simply not possible on my computer-cannot aim with extreme lag :()
So if you could make a version of the mod that would run on these old machines that would be cool.

I'm about to test the map. Last night I tried to test it but I didn't realise (this being my first map and all) that the 'props' bit is commented out by default in the world req file. That, and my Republic Officer wasn't functioning as it should (I hex-edited the ARC Trooper kama and pauldron onto it, it looks fine according to SWBF viewer but ingame the kama and pauldron gets all screwy)
In Progress:

On Hold:

i am easy to please, i like playing mod maps with friends.

November 18, 2009, 01:52:36 PM #9 Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:22:23 PM by ggctuk
I have no idea what the hell is wrong at the moment, but the map munges fine (except when I get to see the "munging cos.req" part, it says that "Missing file COS.prop", although I'm sure that's nothing particular to worry about). But when I try to play, there are no CPs at all. I'm going to try to munge it without the natives and see if that works.

EDIT: I was right - it was indeed the two groups of natives. Perhaps I should have a GCW mode with Rep defenders and a CW mode with CIS defenders. Unless I can find a way to get two native sides in the same map. I KNOW it has been done before because I've seen it done in Mission 1 Republic Commando.

I've also got a bit of planning to do as the units just run against a wall at the moment. Thing is, I've never done planning before with this (this being my first map and all, aside from the conversions which already have planning in them). Otherwise, the map's running.

The best part is, I've made the dome work as it should do. There are cap ships and droid fighters and jedi fighters battling it out. I'm certain I've seen dome explosions in the Geonosis map too so maybe it isn't so impossible. It might just require tweaking.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Are you going to include the rep gunship, cis gunship, v-wing, and strike bomber?
(sadly, these ships did not make an appearence in napseekers 91st assult core coruscant map:()

Yes. All ships that appear in BF2 will also appear in this map.
In Progress:

On Hold:

If anything can be done about having a remote rocket on the gunship, that would be cool. I heard someone a while ago talk about doing this my increasing the speed of a recon droid, making it so that it cant hover, having 1hp, and having it explode on impact. Would this be possible?
(preferably a lot more damage than in BF2, but thats just me)

Quote from: ggctuk on November 18, 2009, 01:52:36 PM
EDIT: I was right - it was indeed the two groups of natives. Perhaps I should have a GCW mode with Rep defenders and a CW mode with CIS defenders. Unless I can find a way to get two native sides in the same map. I KNOW it has been done before because I've seen it done in Mission 1 Republic Commando.

You sure about this? I've played around with creating two locals teams in BF1 before and noticed that team0 and team3 / 4 seem to be ineffective. I haven't seen M1RC, but is it possible they simply set up the appearance of two locals teams when actually only using one real locals group?

I've also got a bit of planning to do as the units just run against a wall at the moment. Thing is, I've never done planning before with this (this being my first map and all, aside from the conversions which already have planning in them). Otherwise, the map's running.

The planning was actually where I initially stopped back when I started doing BofC in 2007. It can be quite frustrating given that the AI doesn't always seem to obey your planning routes even when it seems as though they should. You'll notice that on my map, even with planning and barriers in place, sometimes the bots still run against the corner of the CIS and REP hangars. Everything up before you do the planning is actually fairly easy... but depending on how you want to get the AI to behave (including getting them to run into the chambers to attack the internal systems) can be a wonderful exercise in hair-pulling.  And yeah, BofC was my first time doing planning too, so I say that with some experience :)

The best part is, I've made the dome work as it should do. There are cap ships and droid fighters and jedi fighters battling it out. I'm certain I've seen dome explosions in the Geonosis map too so maybe it isn't so impossible. It might just require tweaking.

No there's a difference between the geo map and a space map.  The geo map is a lot smaller compared to a space map and you can see f/x at low near/far ranges.  In the space map, I set the near/far ranges to increasingly higher values and noted that this did not seem to actually increase the distance from which I could see the explosions. This is why in my BofC thread I was asking if anyone at all, standing in the hangar of one cruiser, could look out onto the hull of the enemy cruiser and see if the big explosion was visible when the turret laser hits it.  No one could. And I have a huge visibility range set in my sky file. The distance between the two cruisers isn't that great but explosions (and any other fx) don't seem to render even at that distance.  It could be a LOD built into the fx file (but I haven't investigated that).

Are you only using the domes from BF1 or have you gotten the BF2 domes (like the ARC-170) to actually work?  This was also something odd I noticed back in '07... that none of the BF2-specific domes seemed to load into the map even though I specified them in my mission LUA and obviously had them munged in with the REP lvl.

November 20, 2009, 01:10:13 PM #14 Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:36:42 PM by ggctuk
Well, some BF1 dome properties are used, such as the racing Jedi Fighters, Gunships and Droid Fighters. They seem to show up fine. Cap Ships still need tweaking (as you can still fly through them).

As for the natives, I could make a workaround, with Team 3 in CW and Team 4 in GCW.

I'm also attempting to figure out how to get rid of the ground which still appears.

Then I have the pathing to sort out. I have the same problem with the pathing at the moment (units sometimes abandon the paths I've set), but I've set some barriers up. I'm wondering if pathing is necessary in space.
In Progress:

On Hold: