Single Player Campaign for SWBF1

Started by Hardcore, October 16, 2009, 05:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, i was playing the SP yesterday being my weird self trying to beat everything on hard without deaths, and i noticed something, considering that all the SP is- is just a Mission map, with a fancy start screen and voice over:

A possible way to make a SP campaign would be to release a pack of mission maps (Each level), and along side link people in the read me to a youtube video giving them the mission objectives.

While this isn't ideal considering unless you could recreated data from the core files of the game, their is no other way to make a SP mission; Plus this IMO could be done very well and even release a new "story" every week/month or however often.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

This could be a very cool idea  :xmaswhip:

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Yeah, I was going to do this udring te summer, it was a main reason why I was digging through the shell .lvl with you. I know how to edit campaign maps, it only requires Battle Belks mission lvl editor, so I coudl help out if needed.

What exactly is a mission map? Because the campaign in SWBF1 (As shown by Hardcore up at the top) isn't missions, to complete the story "mission" you just have to win the map. No orders and objectives like the killer campaign is SWBF2.

Quote from: ~{PLA}~ Seth on October 23, 2009, 03:47:54 PM
What exactly is a mission map? Because the campaign in SWBF1 (As shown by Hardcore up at the top) isn't missions, to complete the story "mission" you just have to win the map. No orders and objectives like the killer campaign is SWBF2.

A "mission map" is actually a term that I came up with when I released my Duel at Mustafar mod a couple of years ago (2006? 2007? can't remember).  It was my solution to a difficult problem at the time:  I was making new sides (REPs and CIS) for maps released by imp_strikeforce and rebel_scum (maps which were BF2 maps ported over to BF1).  But these sides had to be used globally (a global side mod).  So if you install my sides, then ALL of your installed BF1 maps would end up loading my sides instead of the standard sides.  This was fine if you were playing on Imp/Scum's Mustafar Refinery map and wanted to use my Shocktroopers/Jedi units, but not so great for other maps like Rhen Var or Bespin. 

A regular mission map is actually a special mod that is treated as though it were a map - you install it to the addon folder just like a normal map. But it actually loads the resources from another map that is already installed in addon - and then loads its own custom sides from its mission map folder to work with that map.  This way, you can take somebody else's released map and attach your own customized sides to that map and ONLY that map.  It doesn't globally change any other sides for any other maps. 

More importantly, you can also alter the parameters of the other map (add/remove vehicles, change reinforcement counts, fix collision errors, add a local team, add new CPs, etc).  So in that sense, you've taken the original map and created a new mission based on that map. I also debated calling it "map mod" or "map loader" but mission map just rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

I know some people assume the term came from Lucasarts, but its first use was in the documentation of my Duel at Mustafar map (effectively, the first mission map made for SWBF).

This is a pretty interesting idea...so apparently we could create an entire campaign or storyline for SWBF just by using mission maps. I like it alot.  :cheers:

Seth, I do agree the SWBF2 campaign is more organized, makes sense, and has plenty of objectives. I think it's a great accomplishment by the developer  :)
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Yeah, I really like the idea of making a whole campaign and storyline

We just have to be imaginative if we can't fix the menu issues with the campaign texts and such