Civ3

Started by khy, September 07, 2009, 03:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
:(
My favorite game isnt working. When i put it in and (re) install it (havent played in awhile) it downloads 2 applications (One might have already been there?)
When i open one of them it's different error message than the other.
1 of them: You must have at least 1 MB of space to play (I have 24 GB free)
the other one: It just says it quit unexpectedly.
Why?
i really want to play it.

Is this mac or win?

This sounds like a ram calculation error. A few older games have a problem where the amount of ram in the computer is so big that the size counter rolls back to 0 (unsigned ints for you programmers). Basically if you adjust the swapfile size a few megs it should fix itself. If it's windows I can give you exact instructions

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Mac.
Em... okay........what?

Basically with computer numbers when it gets to some really big number (65535 or 4294967295 or something else depending on the computer), the next time it increases it rolls back to 0 and starts counting up again (or worse it goes negative). Now, when a program checks that there is enough memory, it requests the amount of RAM from the OS, which is returned in (I believe) Kilobytes. If the number returned by the OS is too big but within a certain amount too big, the amount of RAM the program thinks is there will be very small (or negative if the programmer is an idiot), and the program will fail

The swapfile is a special file on the computer where the OS pulls stuff out of RAM and stores there to conserve RAM space. That is factored into the RAM number returned from the system, so changing the swapfile size can fix the problem

Go google "Change swapfile size mac" to find out what to do

i don't think you can do that for mac.
Also it says 1MB of hard drive space.

Quote from: khy<3 on September 08, 2009, 01:31:45 PM
Also it says 1MB of hard drive space.

That's REALLY bad. Even a floppy disk holds more than 1 MB. If you only have 1 MB of HD space left, you really need to delete some of those useless files.

#TYBG

I had that same problem with reinstalling civ4 actually :P and i had 300 gb.'s :P
I had to take it to the mac store and they got it running for me :). then my disc drive broke.....

Quote from: ag on September 08, 2009, 05:21:39 PM
That's REALLY bad. Even a floppy disk holds more than 1 MB. If you only have 1 MB of HD space left, you really need to delete some of those useless files.

Quote from: khy<3 on September 07, 2009, 03:17:32 PM
(I have 24 GB free)

Why is it downloading anything? Do you mean downloading from the CD? Or the Internet?

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

If it is the hard drive, try shrinking your partition by 10 megs or something like that. The same problem would probably apply to the HD since it is still an int measurement