Only Compatible with 16bit Version?

Started by Ultimo, July 30, 2015, 02:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 30, 2015, 02:28:38 PM Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:53:48 PM by Ultimo
Hey guys, so I'm trying to run an install from a CD that was released for Windows 95. Everytime I try to run the install, it says it's only compatible with 32-bit versions of Windows.
I have run the program in compatibility mode, no luck.
I have tried all the different compatibility settings, no luck.
I've searched a possible solution on Google, no luck.

Could anyone know why this program continually doesn't want to run?

EDIT:
I discovered my program is actually 16-bit...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

July 30, 2015, 02:58:35 PM #1 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:00:07 PM by BOB.LION
What's a CD?   8) sorry I can't help, I'm a 90's kid but this is just next level mind boggling PC problems. What CD is it?

Edit: do u have an old laptop you could use and see if it works on that? My dad did that a lot recently for his old games. He used a laptop with win xp and win 95 and both worked

Add me on steam you piece of hairy wookie

Is it possible to download a new launcher from online or bypass the launcher by right clicking on the cd and going to explore ?  For some old games people have made new launch windows since the game itself should work.

Is it definitely 32bit? Some software from that period was 16bit, if I remember correctly, and is very hard if not impossible to get working in my experience.  :dry:
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Unforunately, my laptop is running Win7 just like my PC, so I can't check it there.

The game is 3D Frog Frenzy... an obscure Frogger spinoff that I used to play when I was younger and I absolutely loved it. The company is called Swift Jewel/Cosmi... not even sure if they still exist.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on July 30, 2015, 03:02:58 PM
Is it possible to download a new launcher from online or bypass the launcher by right clicking on the cd and going to explore ?  For some old games people have made new launch windows since the game itself should work.

Is it definitely 32bit? Some software from that period was 16bit, if I remember correctly, and is very hard if not impossible to get working in my experience.  :dry:

A popup from the program keeps appearing saying it only works with 32 bit :/
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

OT - but wow u reminded me of frogger <3 that game on win2000 was amazing haha.

Add me on steam you piece of hairy wookie

Quote from: BOB.LION on July 30, 2015, 03:08:38 PM
OT - but wow u reminded me of frogger <3 that game on win2000 was amazing haha.

I played it too, in fact I got the CD back 3 days ago and I'm having a lot of fun! "Frogger: He's Back!" right?

Quote from: Led on July 30, 2015, 03:30:21 PM
Try DOSbox

http://www.dosbox.com/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/

Thanks, Led! I'll give it a shot
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

July 30, 2015, 04:31:48 PM #8 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:33:57 PM by Ultimo
Here's a quick snip of the popup I'm getting when I try to run the setup from the CD... [See Attached]
This is also where I noticed it says 16-bit, and not 32-bit... that was my mistake...

(Please excuse my real name in the directory... :shrug: )
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Try opening the files on the CD and then look for a Setup.exe, like for BF.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

July 30, 2015, 04:43:56 PM #10 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:53:08 PM by Ultimo
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on July 30, 2015, 04:42:46 PM
Try opening the files on the CD and then look for a Setup.exe, like for BF.

I've been trying to run the setup, that is what's giving me the popup. Also not working in DOSBOX

This probably sounds ridiculous, everyone, but is there a way I can tear apart a Setup.exe to retrieve the program files it was going to install?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Your best shot probably is to Google the game, and look for results of what other people found.  There's some old site I referenced a while back but I cannot seem to locate your game on it.  Still, Google is invaluable in situations like this.  Otherwise, play with DOSBox more.

Also of note, the setup.exe - especially back in the day - usually holds nothing except the installer.  You could copy and paste the files off of your cd and they would probably work... except the executable to run the game is 16-bit as well, and you will run into the same problem.  And that's where Google comes in, because some people figure out how to get by that using hackity hacky or other methods.

As a last resort you could find an old copy of Windows 98 laying around your house.  I have a Windows 98 cd right over here...
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

July 30, 2015, 11:11:05 PM #12 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:36:11 PM by Ultimo
Hear is a story of what I'm seeing as I go scavenging through this CD...
The CD is a compilation of many programs from this "Cosmi" company... although it's just boxed as 3D Frog Frenzy, the game I specifically want to play.
The CD has a CD Setup.exe ... upon clicking, I'm prompted with a screen showing all the available programs for install. All the program's installs are password protected, and I only have the password for 3D Frog Frenzy.
Trying to run the install for 3D Frog Frenzy after entering the password prompts me with the "not-compatible" mess.

Then, I scavenged through the folders on the CD.
I located the 3DFrogFrenzy folder... the only thing in it is the Setup.exe for the game. I enabled "Show hidden files and folders" to check myself, and it's still the only thing in the folder.
I backed out of the folder and looked through every other folder and the rest of the CD. No sign of the game files.
Actually, not even a sign of the other programs' files...
The only program I could run and install that came from the CD was a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader 4. :rofl:

I'll use Google and come back to report my findings, but for now it just seems as though finding a way to run that .EXE is my only way of playing this game after so many years.
I would love to hack that .EXE up and see what happens...

UPDATE: I discovered the developer's "website" at http://cosmi2.blogspot.com/ ... it's been updated since 2013 with a lot of their programs including Frog Frenzy. I downloaded it from their site and it has all the files I need to play the game... including the Setup.exe to install all of it. They also had Frog Frenzy 2 (a sequel, I'm crying) that is an .ISO ... lol can't even run it either still a 16-bit program.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper