Potential virus in system (Solved)

Started by Blade, August 24, 2009, 08:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 24, 2009, 08:13:04 PM Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:56:08 AM by .invertus
Hey guys, so today while navigating the interwebs my comp went to some page when I clicked on no link.

This page was colored and looked like norton antivirus and began what looked like a dl, but imo, it was a virus. So I quickly tried to close the page. A thingy popped up, and asked me whether I was sure I didnt want this antivirus, so I just forcequit FF, and shut off my computer.

What else can I do? My macbook has no security (its new). Looking for suggestions of any kind.

EDIT: Crisis gone apparently. Thank you red and ag

What was the answer to this? This has happened to me a couple times also and I did the same thing as blade.

Yeah I got a similar thing. I was checking e-mail and a box popped up when I closed saying a virus was detected and I need a free scan, and all options led to scan. It was, however, obviously fake when it listed only one hard drive on a 4-disk computer :P

Safest thing to do is just terminate your browser straight-away and not even use the close button. I've seen web viruses that simulate a real window but the entire top bar is a link. What you need to know is that although it may look like a program launching windows, it is only a JavaScript that pops up the new window on close, and unless you download anything or install plugins, there is no real virus on your computer

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"