Windows 95 Inquiry

Started by Epifire, May 01, 2015, 02:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 01, 2015, 02:34:55 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:36:42 PM by Epifire
Okay so really random question guys. I'm not sure who can really even answer this other than any of the old timers that may have used this thing. Been going through my stuff as I'm packing to move and I came across this...

That's some image I found of what I have (which is the same thing). An unopened package which looks to either be a manual or the OS. What I'm trying to figure out is if the install disc is actually in there or if it's just a manual with install certificate. I don't want to pull off the wrapping to find out. Right now I don't think these (even unopened) are worth much as I checked Ebay and they're still pretty common. I been wanting to build an old 90s PC (original parts and all) so I'll likely be keeping this guy around. If anyone knows anything about it that'd be awesome, otherwise it's still an interesting conversation piece.
photobucket limit image removed

Unless you can feel a CD in there, I am pretty sure that it is just the certificate.  Win95 would have come on several 3.5 inch "floppy" disks.

If you get old computer running, you are better of with Win98  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on May 01, 2015, 03:12:03 PM
Unless you can feel a CD in there, I am pretty sure that it is just the certificate.  Win95 would have come on several 3.5 inch "floppy" disks.

If you get old computer running, you are better of with Win98  ;)

Well the thing is if I hold it at an angle it looks like it has one of those reinforced paper sleeves between the manual and the cardboard backing. What I would compare to the same kind of sleeves later OS' were shipped in. I was wondering to myself if it wasn't a later release as I know there was a disk based version later on (before 98 came out).  Hard to determine exactly what's in there but it's fun just to talk about.

Btw, I totally was planning on running with 98 on my retro build anyway. I think I picked up a 98 Upgrade pack (not a full install) by accident, but before I fell on hard times I was saving to start collecting all the old parts I need.

May 01, 2015, 05:38:37 PM #3 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:43:14 PM by {Alpha}Drunken_Master
Old timers?    :(  ???

I'm thinking if you look around a while you'll be able to find a Win98 machine for free.  I have an eMachine's one (I got for free) with the original stickers on the front that says "Never Obsolete"   :tu:

Oh, and I've never seen one of these with a CD.

Looks like an OEM package (it came with a computer and not off the shelf.) So It might have the CD, but it might also just be the COA and the actual OS is on a restore disc somewhere (most likely). That restore disc would be pretty useless without the PC that matches it.

Any indication of a manufacturer on it? (Packard Bell, Compaq, IBM, Toshiba, I don't think HP was making a lot of desktops in the 95 days, it's been a while so I forget. If it was an e-Machine, the early ones were coveted for being generic in their parts and including actual OS and driver discs instead of those silly restore discs. They started in the 95b to 98 era.)

Whether the disc is there or not, the license should work if you have to track one down. I don't know if there were any changes in the keys from 95 to 95b though. 95b was better because it had native USB support if I remember correctly. I remember wrong a lot though.

Source: PC Tech at Best Buy in the 90's. (pre-Geek Squad so I didn't have to have any credentials.)

Quote from: tirpider on May 01, 2015, 06:11:38 PM
Looks like an OEM package (it came with a computer and not off the shelf.) So It might have the CD, but it might also just be the COA and the actual OS is on a restore disc somewhere (most likely). That restore disc would be pretty useless without the PC that matches it.

Any indication of a manufacturer on it? (Packard Bell, Compaq, IBM, Toshiba, I don't think HP was making a lot of desktops in the 95 days, it's been a while so I forget. If it was an e-Machine, the early ones were coveted for being generic in their parts and including actual OS and driver discs instead of those silly restore discs. They started in the 95b to 98 era.)

Whether the disc is there or not, the license should work if you have to track one down. I don't know if there were any changes in the keys from 95 to 95b though. 95b was better because it had native USB support if I remember correctly. I remember wrong a lot though.

Source: PC Tech at Best Buy in the 90's. (pre-Geek Squad so I didn't have to have any credentials.)

Oh it says it's meant to ship with a Compaq, so I'm assuming the likelihood of a disc is little to none. Hoping to either rebuild off an old chassis/board for my retro rig, or just build from the ground up. I've done a good deal of research but the part that scares me is getting parts that'll actually work well together. Goal is to make the fastest PC I can (within 90s terms) to sit as my backward compatible machine for most older games.

Quote from: Epifire on May 01, 2015, 06:41:53 PM
Goal is to make the fastest PC I can (within 90s terms) to sit as my backward compatible machine for most older games.

I have kept old computers too, but Origin and Steam both use DOS Box for old games, and it seems to work pretty well.   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

May 01, 2015, 07:26:29 PM #7 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:31:36 PM by Epifire
Quote from: Led on May 01, 2015, 07:05:09 PM
I have kept old computers too, but Origin and Steam both use DOS Box for old games, and it seems to work pretty well.   :cheers:

There are plenty of great games that still aren't on Steam either. I'm also pretty nostalgic as to using hard copies over downloadable distribution.

EDIT: Also one thing that really bugs me with old games running on modern machines is driver/acceleration issues. On multiple older games I've had audio and video issues and stuff that'll run but not quite correctly. I sorta have to do some fixes to make it work halfway decent on a modern PC.

May 01, 2015, 08:48:24 PM #8 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:51:41 PM by tirpider
I remember having really good luck with games and Windows 98 Second Edition. SE added a ton of stability fixes and DirectX 8.1. DOS games (ie, the good games) didn't care though, so I had the autoexec.bat/config.sys set up with custom boot menus for them.

AMD gave me a Via motherboard with a K6-2(333) for being a "product expert" (answered some quizzes on their site), and I can't remember if I got a 3DFX Rush or Banshee (was definitely PCI though). I remember I didn't have to dl anything special to run Unreal like my buddies did. Performance was passable, but not fantastic (that volumetric lighting was awesome though). After letting the magic smoke out during a horrible overclock effort, got a K6-3(450) and a VooDoo3 which made Tie Fighter sing. Traded it all for a crummy laptop and a copy of excel.

MIDI connection for Joysticks and gamepads, 5 pin din for the keyboard (because the old keyboards didn't have trouble with multiple key presses), 28.8 connections (even though you were paying for 56k)... I liked gaming a lot more then.

-edit
Oh yeah, if it says it was for a Compaq, then the disc definitely isn't there. They all had restore discs.