Virtuix Omni

Started by Ultimo, June 22, 2014, 11:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not sure how many of you have already seen this beast, but here's the new Virtuix Omni. Another virtual reality simulation- but this time its your legs...

http://www.virtuix.com/

This neat little bugger can play just about any game- I believe it syncs into your PC, Xbox, or PlayStation like a keyboard or controller would do. Virtuix has videos of people playing Skyrim, Minecraft, TF2, Battlefield... you name it.

The only faults in this thing that I've found is really just opinions for me; I don't particularly like the idea of this because it could become overly used in a way of fitness and probably will cause people to be even more indoor-attached. Also, I haven't seen a video yet where people can use the ADS (Aiming Down the Sights) system while using this; They all seem to be shooting from hip fire.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I will wait for the jetpack addition  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: ᏌᏞᎢᎥᎷᎾ on June 22, 2014, 11:07:36 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have already seen this beast, but here's the new Virtuix Omni. Another virtual reality simulation- but this time its your legs...

This neat little bugger can play just about any game- I believe it syncs into your PC, Xbox, or PlayStation like a keyboard or controller would do. Virtuix has videos of people playing Skyrim, Minecraft, TF2, Battlefield... you name it.

The only faults in this thing that I've found is really just opinions for me; I don't particularly like the idea of this because it could become overly used in a way of fitness and probably will cause people to be even more indoor-attached. Also, I haven't seen a video yet where people can use the ADS (Aiming Down the Sights) system while using this; They all seem to be shooting from hip fire.
I've heard of it before, and I think it'll be an awesome controller for the gamer who wants to stay fit. Though I think this will also limit how often a player plays his game. After all, a PC or console requires you to sit at a TV and toy with a contoller, whereas this would make you move constantly to keep playing. It's great from an excersise perspective, but the problem will be that it shortens a player's playing time since they'd tire out easily if they are unfit.

Also, the ADS system is probably being still worked on, I don't believe the thing is actually on sale yet, is it?

Well its interesting.  I'm guessing it's incredibly expensive.

Quote from: Gold Man on June 23, 2014, 06:24:34 AM
I don't believe the thing is actually on sale yet, is it?

It's available for Pre-Order right now, so if they're going to get in ADS before the release date, then they are going to need to hurry is what I'm thinking.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Mario would be epic with this if it had a first person view. Zombie games would scare the livin' crap out of me. Many games would really be fun. Madden series, NHL series, GTA, L4D, Dayz, Silent Hunter, Watch Dogs, or even Frogger! Heck, I would even play farming simulator if I owned one of those!

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Waiting for the parkour attachment to play AC and Titanfall
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Why would I spend several hundred quid to walk? I can do that whenever I like outside. For free!

Quote from: Unit 33 on June 23, 2014, 02:27:12 PM
Why would I spend several hundred quid to walk? I can do that whenever I like outside. For free!

Can you use a Virtual Headset and play Battlefront outside for a lesser amount, while walking?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I guess I just don't see the appeal of total immersion.

Quote from: ᏌᏞᎢᎥᎷᎾ on June 23, 2014, 11:29:42 PM
Can you use a Virtual Headset and play Battlefront outside for a lesser amount, while walking?
Sure, strap that spare laptop to your back, grab a Oculus Rift and the appropriate controllers. Then you're good to go.

I'm with Unit 33 here though. Why pay for the privilege of walking?

Perhaps some players, need to get walking, at least sometimes. ;)
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 24, 2014, 04:26:01 AM
I'm with Unit 33 here though. Why pay for the privilege of walking?
Perhaps they are preparing for a future where we no longer need to walk...
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

That looks pretty cool.
Nothing is written here...