So you want to build a PC?

Started by aeria., May 15, 2014, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BlackScorpion on May 24, 2014, 04:19:25 PM
Okay, so not necessarily building a PC but I have an OS question.  My notebook is currently dying, though slowly, and I may need a new one.  Looking at Clevo's stuff.  Wondering whether I could use my current notebook's Win7 key so I don't need to bother friends (my school only lets people in certain majors and/or people taking certain classes DreamSpark access) for a Win7 key and if I were to build a PC could I do this as well?

I suggest you clone your hard drive to a new one, then re-install with the manufacturers image partition.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: BlackScorpion on May 24, 2014, 04:19:25 PM
Okay, so not necessarily building a PC but I have an OS question.  My notebook is currently dying, though slowly, and I may need a new one.  Looking at Clevo's stuff.  Wondering whether I could use my current notebook's Win7 key so I don't need to bother friends (my school only lets people in certain majors and/or people taking certain classes DreamSpark access) for a Win7 key and if I were to build a PC could I do this as well?
The key on the Windows sticker on the bottom of your laptop can easily be used to re-install Windows on the laptop or install Windows on a new PC entirely. I've done it before and I see no reason why it would be different for a USA bloke.

^Thanks guys! There's your answer!

#TYBG

Quote from: SleepKiller on May 24, 2014, 05:49:13 PM
The key on the Windows sticker on the bottom of your laptop can easily be used to re-install Windows on the laptop or install Windows on a new PC entirely. I've done it before and I see no reason why it would be different for a USA bloke.
I can attest to this. My IT teacher recently re-installed XP on my old tower using the sticker'd product key on my tower. He used just a regular XP install disk, and it re-installed Media Center Edition right on the hard drive (all that was/is missing are the drivers that the Media Center disk would have).

June 14, 2014, 07:01:52 PM #19 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:07:48 PM by Gold Man
Quote from: aeria. on May 15, 2014, 11:00:22 PM
So you want to build a PC? Answer the following questions:
1) What will you be doing? (Gaming, AutoCAD, Photography, etc)

2) Maximum budget? Is Microcenter an option(check online for your nearest Microcenter)? What state do you live in (to factor in tax)? Is there a retailer you wish to stay exclusive to (not recommended)?

3) Do you need a monitor, mouse, DVD drive, keyboard, new OS, etc?

4) Are you interested in a smaller case? (Good if your room doesn't have a lot of space).

5) Any parts you currently own and expect to re-use?

1) Gaming, planning to play the new SWBF with either medium-high settings.
2)Hopefully around $500, and there's no Microcenter where I live, which is in Ontario, Canada. I have no retailer I wish to stay exclusive to, as long as I can find the parts for cheap.
3) I can re-use the mouse, DVD drive, keyboard, and monitor. Though I'l most likely need a new OS, since the tower runs Windows XP currently.
4) I am planning to salvage my old HP Pavilion a1477c tower's case.
5) I hope to salvage my Cooler Master 500W PSU.

Unfortunately pre-built cases have non-modular I/O plates most of the time. That one you'll have to get new unless you're willing to dremel the back of the case.

Also Canada prices are absurd. :( Here's a computer at a whopping 499.99.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.04 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston Black Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($65.00 @ Vuugo)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($50.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $499.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 16:27 EDT-0400

Also this is assuming you're salvaging your old hard drive. That way you can rock the awesome SSD+HDD combo. If this isn't the case and you feel you'll need more than 128 GB, then replace the SSD with an affordable 7200 PM HDD. This build doesn't have a graphics card but the CPU's built-in graphics is more than enough for SWBF. In the future when you want to play modern games, slide in a graphics card like a Radeon 270 and you'll have an Xbox One killer in your hands. :)

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on June 15, 2014, 01:31:25 PM
Unfortunately pre-built cases have non-modular I/O plates most of the time. That one you'll have to get new unless you're willing to dremel the back of the case.

Also Canada prices are absurd. :( Here's a computer at a whopping 499.99.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.04 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston Black Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($65.00 @ Vuugo)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($50.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $499.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 16:27 EDT-0400

Also this is assuming you're salvaging your old hard drive. That way you can rock the awesome SSD+HDD combo. If this isn't the case and you feel you'll need more than 128 GB, then replace the SSD with an affordable 7200 PM HDD. This build doesn't have a graphics card but the CPU's built-in graphics is more than enough for SWBF. In the future when you want to play modern games, slide in a graphics card like a Radeon 270 and you'll have an Xbox One killer in your hands. :)
Ah yes, I forgot to salvage the HDD. :P

And yeah, true, the I/O plate is actually quite outdated, considering it has an input for old printers from like early 2000, and a VGA port. Though if it does come down to that, I will probably dremel out the I/O plate, or remove/replace it with a newer one (if that's possible).

True though, the Canadian prices are actually always pricier than the American prices. It's a no brainer my parents always go over to the States to buy gas there (cheaper for us anyways :P).

As for the parts, it all looks pretty well set, though would it be possible to instead take the money for the case and buy a decent GPU? Or would it be tough to find a decent GPU that could run SWBFR at medium settings for that price? I was honestly thinking of going for an NVidia GPU over an ATI one.

Right now in the US, ATI cards have better performance per dollar compared to Nvidia. I haven't looked up Canadian prices.

You'll want at least a GTX 750 Ti/Radeon 260X. I wouldn't suggest anything below that as it's simply not worth the money for the decreased performance.

However if you intend on playing SWBF, then the built-in graphics of the CPU really is more than enough.

If you cut out the case and the OS (ask someone for a copy), you'll have enough for the 750 Ti. Otherwise you'll have to ditch the SSD and start making cuts in the CPU, which I honestly wouldn't recommend for a long term investment.

i5+solid GPU = a gaming computer that will last.

#TYBG