SWBF2 Installation Issue

Started by Carbon27, July 02, 2013, 06:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 02, 2013, 06:55:06 PM Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:40:27 AM by Josh
 After reading that we might do a "gameday" on SWBF2, I attempted to install SWBF2. Now, seeing that I put attempted and posted this on tech support, you must be wondering whats wrong, so lets get to the point.

I went through the regular welcome to the Installation, entered the secret code, accepted the terms, told xfire and gamespy no. So far, so good, but then I chose what feature I wanted to install, and this is where it all went bad...

First I chose automatic, and clicked yes. Then, it told me that I didn't have enough data to install the game. So I did what everyone would do, uninstall stuff. So far, I have done about 5000 MB. (lol) It says that I just need 20.  :dry: I have analyzed my computer, and it said all I need was more data for the game. I checked how much data my computer said I had, well over 20 MB. I have restarted my PC a couple of times, and it still doesn't work.

When I fist tried installing it, it said I only a little bit of data left, now it's close to what it needs, but it won't go any further. I have very limited computer knowledge so I could be missing something. Sorry if my grammar sucks and you can barely understand what I'm saying, I'm sorta rushed.

nvm, I got it to work. I just uninstalled another game. It still puzzles me why I had to uninstall so many things.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Solutions:

1) Install on someone else's Mac (by using Wine) or PC, get a flash drive and transfer the "LucasArts" folder from "Program Files" and place it in your computer's "Program Files"

2) You can post on Gametoast since they are more SWBFII oriented and have a greater knowledge of the game and it's quirks.

If it helps my installed SWBF2 is 5.28GB (5406MB).
If you are very short on space you can try Defrag which sorts out your hard drive. Just search for it on your start menu and it's fairly easy to use but you will probably have to leave it running overnight if you don't do it regularly as it will take a very long time.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 02, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
1) Install on someone else's Mac (by using Wine) or PC, get a flash drive and transfer the "LucasArts" folder from "Program Files" and place it in your computer's "Program Files"

is it really that easy? because one of my discs has an error on it and i cant install it on my laptop, but the game should still be installed on our old desk top, ill have to check it out
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

my bf2 is 3.2 or so; bf1 is 1.8 Gbs
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 02, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
I think I've said this before, but oh well  :shrug:

I just move the GameData folder, and rename it to SWBFII, (or SWBFI, like I did with my flashdrive), and it smashes down some of the space that you don't need.

You can also do this for SWRC, but you have to go in GameData/system/ folder and double click SWRepublicCommando.exe to run it. It has a different format, since they (preverbial they) made it on unrealed engine. There is also the unrealed SWRC editor in that folder.  I think the OGG files (you can open with some editors) that are fun to listen to.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on July 03, 2013, 01:43:54 PM
I think I've said this before, but oh well  :shrug:

I just move the GameData folder, and rename it to SWBFII, (or SWBFI, like I did with my flashdrive), and it smashes down some of the space that you don't need.
So for SWBFII can you tell me what you need in the "Star Wars Battlefront II" folder (inside the LucasArts folder)

Same for SWBFI, what do I need to have the game run?

also if you have a steam account you can add it as a non steam game and play it in "safe mode" with no disc. 

I have the disk version for all of my games and they install on the latest version.

RC, do I need the "install" folder?

July 03, 2013, 09:52:20 PM #9 Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:01:44 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 03, 2013, 04:47:00 PM
I have the disk version for all of my games and they install on the latest version.

RC, do I need the "install" folder?
FOR SWBFII
To run the game, all you need, is INSIDE the gamedata folder.
Addon/ (I had to create this folder) is for maps of course, so if you want maps, you NEED that.
Data carries all the .LVL files needed to run the game.
All 3 .DLL files you will need to get the application started, or else you'll get an error (not saying that one of them missing would cause it to not work, just that the EXE searches before executing).

The install folder is practically useless, movies is pointless unless you like watching EAW trailer over and over, LaunchBF.exe is basicly a fancy way of using a batch file to execute an EXE file, and Updata1_1.txt is just an update log, and is just not needed.
FOR SWBFI
Again, all you need is inside the gamedata folder.
Addon/ is there for you if you want modmaps of course.
Data/ contains all the LVL files for running the game, device.def vidmode.ini, and .mvs (movies, we like this ;)
and
SaveGames/ Of course you like this if you don't want to create a new profile every day.

In my flash drive, this takes up 2.88 GB, otherwise the Battlefront folder in C: drive is 3.1 GB (this counts maps too)

And of course, I run both on my 8gig flash drive F:/

July 03, 2013, 10:05:01 PM #10 Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:59:59 PM by Kit Fisto
Thanks for the info RC. That helps because I don't like having extra junk on my computer.

Someone should sticky RC's post or put it in the tutorial thread because that is useful information.

EDIT: That saved me 238.2 MB! Thanks RC!