Issue with overheating laptop

Started by jdee-barc, February 22, 2013, 07:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, if I play more than two SWBF maps in a row (sometimes even more than one), my laptop overheats and stops working and I have to shut it down, let it cool off, and than restart it. It's becoming a huge problem for trying to finish my mod, because it's not good for the laptop when it overheats like that (so I try to run things as little as possible now). It happens also, if I play TF2, gmod, SKyrim, or GTA San Andreas for more than a certain amount of time (GTA is the least problematic). Any ideas as to what to do?

In case specs are needed - HP Pavilion g6 notebook, Dual-Core AMD A4 CPU (1.9 Ghz)+ Radeon graphics, 6 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: jdee-barc on February 22, 2013, 07:44:21 PM
So, if I play more than two SWBF maps in a row (sometimes even more than one), my laptop overheats and stops working and I have to shut it down, let it cool off, and than restart it. It's becoming a huge problem for trying to finish my mod, because it's not good for the laptop when it overheats like that (so I try to run things as little as possible now). It happens also, if I play TF2, gmod, SKyrim, or GTA San Andreas for more than a certain amount of time (GTA is the least problematic). Any ideas as to what to do?

In case specs are needed - HP Pavilion g6 notebook, Dual-Core AMD A4 CPU (1.9 Ghz)+ Radeon graphics, 6 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7

I may not quite be of help, but here`s my two cents:

Most people say to get a cooling pad for a laptop, as it does help a lot, I will admit. Some are pretty cheap (pending on brand), I got mine for like $10. It works for me when I play SWBF (I rarely overheat), though I have a similar issue with SWBF2 (though it takes a good hour for it to overheat). Anyways, get a cooling pad, if that doesn`t work, then I`m sure someone else has an idea.

Cooling pads are your best bet.

SWBF isn't an intensive game so it's to recommend anything other than to simply cool it. HP laptops overall are poorly engineered. I've done PC repair for a few years and the most common laptops sent in for repair are HP laptops. A majority of them are overheating.

Toning down graphics and resolution can help take pressure off of it but like mentioned before, SWBF isn't a graphically intensive game so I don't know if it will make a difference.

#TYBG

Over heating=cooling pad. Seems so simple right? Really that is likely the best option. Also, do you hear the fan kick on periodically? And does the fan have airflow to it? Once my sister put the laptop on top of a bed and it quickly over heated because it couldn't get any airflow.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Try not to play on surfaces that are already warm themselves e.i.: Your lap, anything rubber, a couch or leather,
I usually use laptops in the kitchen, where the wooden table is always cooler than everything else in the room (no idea why, just the truth :P)

I've never really used a cooling pad, so you'd need other opinion on that, rather than mine...
You are doing good by having few windows up at once, this causes the main heat of the computer (obviously).

Also, what Norris said about the fan, you might cheak the air vent thru your computer, if it has a bunch of dust, it cannot cool itself off well, and your fan might be cheap and junky (like mine) and it doesn't blow air, you might need to get that replaced..

Sure hope this helps.. Good luck to you!

Get a can of air and blow the soot, cobwebs, and ghosts out?

Seriously, the inside of electronics are a mess like you can't imagine.  Accumulated dust can restrict airflow and add surface space to trap heat. 

Blasting through the vents with a can of compressed air won't get it all, but if you don't have an air compressor, it's better than nothing.

Getting the dust out is most important thing. Also try playing SWBF 800x600 and at windowed resolution (/win in the exe shortcut) with video settings at minimum, and use a cooling pad that has at least 2-3 fans. I use to play swbf on a laptop that would overheat and shut down midgame, and these things certainly helped reduce the crashes. I also use this program which is freeware http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

It shows you the temperature of your hardware components. It is helpful to watch the CPU temperature as an icon in the taskbar, and if the number gets too high you should close swbf and let it cool off. My laptop use to get 80-85 Celsius within 15 minutes of playing, and would shut off if it went over 86. The cooling pad and windowed resolution helped keep it under 80C usually. I also had to edit my power options to make CPU run at no more than 50% capacity or it would overheat even quicker.

Quote from: Phobos on February 22, 2013, 09:23:59 PM

My laptop use to get 80-85 Celsius within 15 minutes of playing

That is really hot.  :panic:
Quote from: tirpider on February 22, 2013, 09:01:50 PM

Blasting through the vents with a can of compressed air won't get it all, but if you don't have an air compressor, it's better than nothing.

This is true :D I have heard that the air compressor can ruin the ball barrings in the fan all together. If you do that try and keep the fan from spinning if possible, they aren't meant for 1500 turns a minute :P Or you could forget the cooling pad and fans completely and just use the air compressor? 125 psi should keep that thing nice and cool  :XD:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins