Laptop help

Started by Black Water, December 22, 2012, 06:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Today I bought a laptop so I could play tunngle :D , but I'm new to this so I don't know how to get internet on it.... Are there any more things I have to buy? The OS is windows 8 but I haven't compelety installed it since I need internet to do i ^^.

Ask Google  ;)

This little trick helped me learn a few things about the windows7 os.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/unlock-godmode-windows/

But google works too

December 22, 2012, 07:46:47 PM #2 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:48:29 PM by {Alpha}Gold Claus
Alright, I actually play my games with a laptop. But to get internet, you need a router. You can find them for a decent price nowadays anyways. If you have a modem, you will need the router, even if your using an ethernet cable, though I use WiFi. I forget what the price for one is nowadays (we bought a new one like 8 months ago), but basically the router is for WiFi, which you will need for your laptop to get internet. Like I said, if your using an ethernet cable, you will still need a router. If you have a router but it doesn't do WiFi, get a new one I would say.

I'm just basing this off of having internet on my laptop, but your best bet would be Google for an answer, you would get more detailed stuff there.

Then again, my laptop runs Vista (Premium Edition I think). So I wouldn't really have a clue about the new Windows 8 OS, since the UI I think is completely changed.

December 22, 2012, 08:00:13 PM #3 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:05:59 PM by Olde Saint Norris
How is your desktop hooked up to internet? Is there an ethernet cable running from a modem into it? If that's the case take it out of your desktop and put it in your laptop. That will at least allow you to download your drivers Etc. But you will need to look into a router to give you wifi unless you want your laptop to be wired all the time  :P They run between $50-$100 for the type you would need.

Edit: Assuming your laptop has an ethernet cable hook up

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Oh so i bought a n300 wireless USB adapter WNA3100 for nothing?

I thonk it depends if your laptop has wireless built in. If you just want to connect to the internet to test something and not move your laptop the quickest way is to pull your ethernet cable out of your PC and plug it into your laptop (assuming you have the socket) then right click on your internet logo by the clock and connect to the network if it doesn't do it automatically.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Thanks guys I have internet now  :wave:

Yay :D Do you mind sharing what laptop you bought? I would be really surprised if it doesn't already have a wireless adapter built inside it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

intel inside, or gateway, right now it keeps connecting to tunngle, loading.

Quote from: DBellz on December 22, 2012, 07:21:26 PM
Ask Google  ;)

This little trick helped me learn a few things about the windows7 os.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/unlock-godmode-windows/

But google works too

This wouldnt work unless you already had internet?

Quote from: {212} Nixo on December 23, 2012, 06:53:22 AM
This wouldnt work unless you already had internet?

If this were true he wouldn't be able to access this web site either :slap:

Yeah I was on my phone :P

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on December 23, 2012, 04:18:06 AM
I thonk it depe...
Lol, you thonk....

And glad to see you got it to work Vixo ;)