On Star Wars and it's directing.

Started by SleepKiller, August 30, 2012, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay so I had a very interesting conversation with my sister and her husband about Star Wars and the acting in it. We seemed to all agree that it was terrible in the prequel trilogy. Then the conversation shifted focus from the actors to the director. According to my sisters husband some of the bad actors in the movies he has seen in other movies and they are good. Wehn I though about it it made sense some of the scenes have that "first take good enough" feel about them. Now let's take a look at Episode V I have seen people say it is the best of the saga, what is different about it? George Lucas didn't direct it. Now I can't help but wonder what would have been with the prequels if you took the same actors and gave it a different director.

No offence to George Lucas or anything. But it does sort of make sense if you think about it. The actors aren't necessarily the problem in the prequels the director is.

What are your guys thoughts in the subject? (Kitfisto don't just rage at me for hating on George Lucas go away and think about it for thirty minutes and tell me what you think then if you must.)

Sadly I can not watch that. It does sound like a good watch though.

Ok I know you all think my opinion doesn't matter because I actually like the films but here it is:
I put it in a spoiler so that I don't get banned for rebelling against the man with the purple name! :D
[spoiler]Yes, yes the acting is bad. They did in fact have a "first take good enough" as SleepKiller said. But this was because the first movie was on such a low budget and the other movies were on time constraints. Also it is my understanding that episode V is the "best" episode from polls I have seen and other discussions. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+star+wars+movie As you can see the first most frequently mentioned movie on the web is in fact episode V. I know there is some dude saying how VI is the best but that is one guy. Not the popular opinion. Yes, I know that George Lucas didn't direct episode V either but guess what. Directors don't make all of the movie! They are only a small part of a big picture ( literally a motion picture ). But guess what, he wrote the story. He wrote all of the Star Wars scripts! He chose what characters were to look like what, what planets and aliens were supposed to look like! Watch the bonus features once in a while...
And honestly if the acting ruins the whole star wars universe for you then you've got to look at all the other things in the movies. [spoiler]Oh and I'm pretty sure you guys all know I like the films a lot but if someone makes this type of topic I will ALWAYS defend the movies.[/spoiler] [/spoiler]

You can't get banned for annoying me, well I hope not. Either way I have actually come to like the movies again after thinking through it.  I am not talking about the original trilogy here. There is next to know really bad acting/directing in those. I am talking about the prequels silly Wampa. Face it they are let down by bad directing and the prequels would have had massive budgets behind them unlike the originals. The only real thing taht has ruined Star Wars for me is all the clone wars back story they felt they had to put in with that terrible TV show. (They should have left the movies be.) Not forgetting TFU, come on that thing is just awful it has wrecked the canon almost as badly as TCW. (The gameplay and story telling in it is brilliant A+ stuff, but the impact on canon it had was too high.)

Ok yes TFU screwed up the canon real bad. I only like the gameplay of that game. The clone wars is a cool TV show because it shows more of the star wars universe, some of it is cheesy...
SleepKiller, what is your favorite Star Wars episode?

Quote from: kitfisto15678 {GLT} Commander on August 30, 2012, 08:07:31 PM
Ok yes TFU screwed up the canon real bad. I only like the gameplay of that game. The clone wars is a cool TV show because it shows more of the star wars universe, some of it is cheesy...
SleepKiller, what is your favorite Star Wars episode?

Im just gonna throw it in and say my favorite is Episode V.

Also gonna throw in I only liked the Overlord miniseries in the newer Clone Wars, the rest sucked. Original clone wars series was much better.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ★-<{Soul Reaper}>-★ on August 30, 2012, 08:17:46 PM
Also gonna throw in I only liked the Overlord miniseries in the newer Clone Wars, the rest sucked. Original clone wars series was much better.
Ok my theory is that people like the older clone wars because they were amped for episode III and they didn't know the story of episode III or the plot line ( by plot line I mean the little things, not generic like anakin goes to the dark side etc. )
In this new clone wars we all know the story and how it ends, like reading the last chapter of a book before you read the rest of it. I will forever hate the Clone Wars TV show if they do not make Jabba's son die, Asokha dies, and end a lot of other characters lives.

Remind me again if the Cad Bane (aka Bad Name) guys dies?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

He doesn't neccesarily have to, but atm in the clone wars star wars universe he is the "baddest bounty hunter" which isn't true after episode III, Boba Fett is the best bounty hunter in that time of Star Wars.
[spoiler]Cad Bane is a pretty cool character but his name is kinda dumb.  :shrug:[/spoiler]

Now that I think about it, the acting in the prequels could have been better. But, my sole fascination of the movies isn't in the acting. I'm more intrigued by their way of life (in short, I like their weapons and technology).

P.S. It is quite fun to sit back and watch sleepkiller and kitfisto quarrell with each other. :P
Favorite word:
Awesome!
Wahnsinn!
Impresionante!
отлично!
Toppen!
Magnifique!
!מדהים
酷毙了!
Przerażające!

Quote from: ~VBA~ on August 30, 2012, 10:15:36 PM
P.S. It is quite fun to sit back and watch sleepkiller and kitfisto quarrell with each other. :P
You people read into my posts too much.

Yes, 2 TV film's: "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure", and "Ewoks: The Battle for Endor", wasn't directed by George Lucas, and they look's realy... different. It's cud be interesting, if all episodes, at least I, II, III, cud be directed in this style... Maybe they cud be look's more nice?
Personaly for me, most terrible thing in Star Wars movie, it is a "singer bug" in remaded Episode VI... :sick:
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

I think its the dialog more so than the acting that's bad.  Which still falls on the directing/writing of George,i assume. 

I bet if all the dialog was in Huttese or some other strange star wars language with subtitles the acting wouldn't seem so bad. 

Quote from: Sereja on August 31, 2012, 03:03:19 AM
Yes, 2 TV film's: "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure", and "Ewoks: The Battle for Endor", wasn't directed by George Lucas, and they look's realy... different. It's cud be interesting, if all episodes, at least I, II, III, cud be directed in this style... Maybe they cud be look's more nice?
Personaly for me, most terrible thing in Star Wars movie, it is a "singer bug" in remaded Episode VI... :sick:
Ha ha Sereja!!! Funny. The main reason I don't like the new episode IV is because at the very end when they show the ghosts anakin is young!?!? What the heck!!! The other actor looked cooler anyway!!!
Quote from: ~VBA~ on August 30, 2012, 10:15:36 PM
Now that I think about it, the acting in the prequels could have been better. But, my sole fascination of the movies isn't in the acting. I'm more intrigued by their way of life (in short, I like their weapons and technology).

Yes that is a main reason of a lot of the fan base. And the biggest part I believe. My older brother always talks about how cool coruscant is just because it is a giant city.
Lol and I'm pretty sure at least 100 of my posts are from quarreling with sk lol!  :rofl: