Nostalgia PS2 server IS UP!!

Started by tirpider, July 21, 2012, 03:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 21, 2012, 03:30:25 PM Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:00:46 AM by tirpider
kitfisto15678 found an old PS2 gameplay video on youtube and it made me want to play on the PS2 again.

So I dusted off the server and fired up The_Shop.
After wheezing and complaining a bit about ports and such, it is alive.

I welcome anyone that cares to join. and I noticed 2 other servers while logging in.

The_Shop
in North America.
It is PC_Dedicated, but hosted on a home cable internet provider so I can only handle a few folks at a time.
I am behind a router, so it will ping at 9999ms, but I assure you it is playable.
More specific details:

Max Players: 6
AI per team: 24
Spawn Invincibility: 0
Difficulty: Medium
Auto team selection
Team damage off
Heros off
Aim Assist on
no booting of laggers

Maps
BESPIN: Cloud City (GCW) 999/999
RHEN VAR: Citadel (GCW) 999/999
TATOOINE: Mos Eisley (GCW) 999/999

Any of that can be changed on request.
I know it's a small server, but if you are into the nostalgia, it could be fun.
I'll leave it up for the rest of the weekend.

When I first checked for servers, the ps2 seemed to get hung up in a please wait/cancel loop, but after a few min of letting it do it's thing, I backed out and selected internet again and there the servers were :)
So you might need to try a couple of times.

-edit
The_Shop is currently offline.
Other internet duties have called upon our home bandwidth for the moment.
But, I will bring it back on from time to time. Same as before, sporatic appearances.
I might work out a schedule for it.

If anyone specificly wants it up, feel free to post at the end of this thread, or PM me. I check in here frequently and the server is just a power botton and a few mouse clicks away.

Till it returns, the SWBFgamers.com servers are good, and appear have a better connection than I ever could.

Keep fighting, PS2 players, and may the force be with you.

Does the server run on a PC?  Would could probably host one by the NFO servers if you wanted  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 21, 2012, 03:46:04 PM #2 Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:09:59 PM by tirpider
Yes sir, it runs on PC.
I have it on an old p4 notebook at the moment.
It can't render the game at all, but runs the server great.

I don't think it will get enough traffic to warrant it.
But if it starts getting crowded and my ISP chokes on me, that would be a great way to go.

-edit
Well, it has been going on for several hours.
For the last couple of hours, 5 old school PS2 gamers were on (beating the tar out of me :P )
So we had a full house for a while.

It did freeze up and everyone ran for the nearest availiable server, so The_Shop has been empty since then. I forgot to disable some power saving features on the machine. That won't be a problem again.

I was playing for a bit, but I should probably refrain, since everyone else was getting 60 to 160 pings, while I was at 9. But I'm done for the evening (playing, at least) and will leave the server up through the weekend, perhaps longer. I'll bump and update the first post when I take it down.

Feel free to request map and setting changes.

I just put up a couple SWBFgamers servers.  Maybe we can get more PS2 players here :)

They are in LA.  Let me know how they are.  :cheers:

!!!!!!
Awesome!
I was wondering how I was going to spend the rest of the day.

The PS2 community is very small. Unfortunately, the patch required to play is no longer available for download. Players that have the patch on their memory card can still play but anyone else is out of luck. If you try to log on without the patch, it will just take you to an empty master list. If anyone has a solution to the problem, let me know.

Quote from: Mr. Toxic on July 22, 2012, 05:04:28 PM
The PS2 community is very small. Unfortunately, the patch required to play is no longer available for download. Players that have the patch on their memory card can still play but anyone else is out of luck. If you try to log on without the patch, it will just take you to an empty master list. If anyone has a solution to the problem, let me know.

Ah, thanks for the information.  I don't own a PS2, so I don't know much about it.  Is is possible to host the patch here?  or is it in some proprietary form?  Maybe we can find a way...

July 22, 2012, 05:31:06 PM #7 Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:53:36 PM by tirpider
Ah, Greetings, Mr. Toxic.
You have killed me much. (much more than I have killed you.)
Good to see you without a blaster :)

re patch getting:
I have read about utilities that allow copying memory cards.
I do not know anything about thier legality. I can't imagine there would be a problem copying savegames or card data, but I could be wrong.

Then there is the technical issue of copying the patch.
I don't know if just copying it would work.
I will certainly look into it and report my findings.

-edit
:(
Good and bad news.
Copying the cards is easy enough through the old pelican Code Breaker package or simply copying from card to card.
However, the patch itself is married to the machine that downloaded it.  So there is a tremendous hoop to jump through to get it to work.
source (ps2onlinegaming.com/Star Wars Battlefront Status)

It mentions that folks without the patch can still play on old online servers. I am not sure if they mean ps2 hosted or an older version of the PC dedicated server.

I will see if I can scare up an old copy of the server and try to get on with a clean memory card.

Hmm, I see the issue by this video

tirpider, is that you? 

[spoiler]
Just kidding  ;)
[/spoiler]

Hi Tirpider,
A lot of those posts are mine. I've been trying to resolve the patch issue for quite a while. There are actually two Star Wars Battlefront 1 online play possibilities for PS2. One is without the patch and the other is with the patch. If you log on without the patch, you will be taken to an empty master list where you can only host a game with a maximum of 4 players created from your PS2. If you log on with the patch you will be taken to a different master list that has PC dedicated servers (this is the one with your server).

Do you know who is hosting the two SWBFgamers.com servers for PS2? There is a problem with those servers, they are not visible on the PS2 master list. I know they are out there because I have software on my PC that allows me to see what servers are being hosted without turning on my PS2. I have no idea as to what the problem may be.  I hope to see you again and anybody else out there that still has the patch is welcome to join us. 

July 22, 2012, 06:32:41 PM #10 Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:34:13 PM by Buckler
Hi Toxic,

I am hosting them on a rental VPS PC using this software:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=437

which came from Lucas Arts.

Let me know if I can fix them.

Perhaps I need to use this server package?
http://www.fileplanet.com/145863/download/Star-Wars-Battlefront-Server-v1.1-%5BPS2%5D

July 22, 2012, 06:52:14 PM #11 Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:03:30 PM by tirpider
heh, thats not my vid.
I ran into that as well a couple of min ago.

The problem with the 2 your hosting might be the old port forward issue.
I got fed up with geussing and just forwarded every port reference I found on the web, and went the extra mile and did them all for TCP and UDP both.
Still shows up as 9999 ping, but I blame that on gamespy.
I am certain that some of it is not used.
[spoiler]
In the windows firewall I have the following exceptions:

3659 (TCP & UDP )
3783 (TCP & UDP )
5658 (TCP & UDP )
6500 (TCP & UDP )
13139 (TCP & UDP )
27900 (TCP & UDP )

My router has these forwarded:
3658 -  3659 (TCP & UDP)
         3783 (TCP & UDP)
6500 -  6515 (TCP & UDP)
         6667 (TCP & UDP)
        13139 (TCP & UDP)
27900 - 29999 (TCP & UDP)

[/spoiler]

-edit
That last link is certainly worth a shot.
I know I went through a couple of versions before landing on what I have now.
2 drive crashes and one recovery later, I don't even have the source archive anymore.
(clicks link to flesh out archive)

July 22, 2012, 07:00:18 PM #12 Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:19:11 PM by Buckler
My server is bare naked to the wild wild web.  No forwarding needed :)

I'm trying the 1.1 version of the PS2 server--this one has the "boot lagger" option, but it's crashing on my win 2008 server even with win XP SP3 compatibility is set.

ponders...

edit:  appears to be a win 2008 issue.  I ran it fine on my home XP box, and this version runs fine on my 2003  win server VPS at NFO.

edit2:  somebody has been in there!  The game timer is running.

BTW, Be sure to click on the spoiler button in my previous post  ;)

;)
I'm not that young... yet

I'm seeing the servers now.
SWBFgamers.com--Visit-Us!
SWBFgamers.com-Tanks&Planes

Both are giving me 86 ping in Arkansas.
Is Tanks&Planes modded?

July 22, 2012, 07:21:14 PM #14 Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:24:41 PM by Buckler
No mods, just the maps with vehicles, mostly.  We can add mods at your discretion/direction.

I'm hosting in Chicago, so it's straight up I-55 :)