The "I Have An Idea!" thread

Started by Snake, March 07, 2012, 11:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
i would expect dice to do that like they did with battlefield 4

Quote from: Snake on July 17, 2013, 05:24:43 AM
Maybe that titanic map would be possible in SWBF3. It won't happen in SWBF1.

This might work.  We know that CPs can be mobile, and we can fight on top of moving vehicles (a have at AT-AT vid like this), and you could probably make a vehicle with a slow fall rate, that eventually lands in the water. 

So, we just need a big square room vehicle.   ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

most mods allow access to change textures  and even models... so i dont think this is too crazy....       Aliens Vs Predator  battlefront...   could be  preds and marines vs aliens   (yes in the comics  they team up)    or   Marines vs Preds.          or   heck Simpsons....  i think there is a simpsons mod for  most if not all FPS games....      the   battlefield 1942 mod  Transformers was nice... maybe  transformers  battlefront. 

August 22, 2013, 02:11:22 PM #78 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:23:42 PM by tirpider
Had a map idea this morning... unsorted points to follow...

[concept]
- Rebels stranded on an island/planet/base/whatever when an outbreak happens. Meanwhile, they are being bombarded from the air by Imperials who want to contain the infection and see the trapped rebels as a happy coincidence. 

[details]
- The ground artillary (2 or 3 AAguns) needed to take out the platform (destructable command post) the imperial ships (Ties and Tie Bombers) are launching from are broken (buildable/repairable) and paired with inconveniently placed zombie spawns (non capturable cp)

- Single players would need to bring guys with them to guard them while repairing the guns and getting a few shots on the platform before having to jump out and rescue their guards.
- Multi Player would require the same tactic, but enabling a single aa turret could be a game winner.

- The platform could be a single reskinned bespin platform or custom. Not worried about the mythology of how it got there.

- Imps would win when all the Rebels are dead.
- Rebels win by destroying the platform (or killing all the Imps). The Imps should have a high reinforcement count to make it a better siege/defense battle and force the AA repair/zombie slaughter stratagy.

- The hardest part would be designing the Imp side so that they always got in a vehicle and didn't try to run off the platform. Perhaps a low AI count for them.

- The Zombies, as natives, should never run out.. or at least have a huge reinforcement count.

- The Imps are pretty much just strafing the ground. It probably wouldn't be much fun to play them unless it was for strafing/bombing practice.
- Perhaps an imp weapon that called a Star Destroyer strike could be added to one of the vehicles.
- All Imps should be Pilots or basic Marines. Totally relying on air superiority because their commanders won't risk infection through a ground assault.
- And/Or...... one of the spawning vehicles is a flying command post that allows the imps to spawn where it lands (like the shuttles in BF2 Space battles.) The over confident Field Commanders went against their superiors orders, authorizing ground assaults, even though they lacked proper assault units (still just Pilots and Marines.)

[things to make it desperate for the defenders]
- No medical droids.. or only one at the far back end of the map so it's pretty much useless.
- Ammo droids ok, but it would be better if the zombies or imps could target and destroy them so they are usually broken when needed.
- No zombie ammo drops.
- No vehicles for the rebels...
- Rocket troopers should have only 1 or 2 rockets. (no one hit fighter kills.)
- Melee weapons would be really nice except for the one hit kill thing.

- It should probably be raining and at night because spooky.

[special map feature]
- A shield generator that protects a central area of the Rebel spawn area... but it loses heath due to broken generators/storms/whatever, so it has to be repaired frequently to provide respite from the Zombies/imperial bombardment.  (Can a shield be made to keep units out? and can it be aligned to friendly/enemy units?)

-edit
Zombie could also be translated as natives, which could be anything.. wampas, jawas, pirates, lawyers, ect..

I shall remember this idea if SWBF3 is moddable. I think the majority of this is possible, the huge problem is: AI. They are far too stupid for this, unfortunately. But, when reading the idea I was already doing the modding in my head and realizing that a lot of it is plausible. Problems:

-AI will not strafe the ground very often (tie bombers may be used a lot by the AI but I still doubt it would be effective)
-AI will clump in areas (zombies)
-If it is possible to use an orbital strike with a vehicle (probably is) the AI might not use it. Although, I am now starting to get some ideas for accomplishing this..
-Melee weapons are impossible to use against other AI that have melee weapons (even AI hit eachother at the same time) A workaround is to increase the health to wear it requires 2 or 3 melee hits but then you'd have to increase all weapon damage and it'd still be hard to swing faster than an AI.
-I'm not sure about the shield. A modified gungan shield could suffice but it would let units in. I have little experience with it, because it always crashes for me. (I never can set it up right)

Darn retirement.. I would enjoy making this map.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: tirpider on August 22, 2013, 02:11:22 PM
Zombie could also be translated as natives, which could be anything.. wampas, jawas, pirates, lawyers, ect..
Lawyers, Pirates, Tomato, Tamateho. ^^

Quote from: tirpider on August 22, 2013, 02:11:22 PM

Earth: Attack of the Lawyers
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Perhaps if you use the line
OrdnanceCollision =   "none"
The shield could be shoot-through-able, and yet not let units through.
Letting friendly units through and non-friend to not go, is a whole 'Nother pickle.

Yeah, a lot is implausible.
Just had a thing appear in my head and didin't know what to do with it. So I poured it out here.

It occurred to me that we could do the air to ground attack a little easier with platforms instead of full on orbiting fleet assaults.  But the myriad of AI problems.  I've been strafed by ai in maps like Hoth and bespin platforms, but not enough to indicate that the AI do it actively. I've never messed with flyer pathing.

As an alternative to the platform vs ground base arrangement, perhaps a deep crater/mineshaft/tall building.
The idea being that the objective to win is to stop the heavy assault from above, while defending against smaller attacks from the ground.  A more vertical map than we are used to.

Perhaps limiting the attackers(imps) to very limited access scaffolding instead of a platform. (heavy use of hint nodes to set up sniping points everywhere on them.)
The AA would need to be removed... replaced with ... destructable scaffolding?

The hostile natives could be humble mining robots turned evil by an ancient HK-47 program. Armed with high energy digging tools and explosive charges.  I'm thinking laser-like, low damage, but eventually deadly. But since they are designed for mining, they have to be used at close, almost melee, range.

Anything vertical is extremely annoying too. AI get all confused (if they actually manage to go up). If anything vertical is used, the pathing could not make a complete circle, otherwise the AI get buggy. Look at cloud city for an example of how multiple level maps are made, the paths never intercept with paths made to direct the upper levels. It's very complicated.. Another SWBF3 wish: The ability to set AI path height.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

This is a great idea, you can add the shield which prevents shots but not enemy's from passing. However this type of gungan forcefield doesn't work online (no idea why). A map with that would probably be SP only.

I think everything would be viable except the platform-based Imperial AI which would be too autistic and constantly run off the edge instead of getting in the plane (this is because vehicles and infantry use the same type of pathing). It is also unlikely that IMP ships would know when/how to drop bombs over rebel AI. Vertical pathing doesn't work in SWBF unfortunately. You have to keep all pathing routes seperate from each other or the bots get confused and start to do nothing.

The other tricky part is modding the weapon ODF to "drop bombs" by firing a weapon vertically beneath your ship (similar to orbital strike perhaps) instead of directly in front of you. Some have told me this is not possible but I haven't tested all the theories for it yet. Defending the turrets would need to be feasible and the zombies would need to be capable of targeting them (perhaps through siege nades like on zombie castle).

It's too bad we can't add MaxDamage values to melee weapons, or adjust the damage range or swing speed. Any of these factors alone would make melee vs zombie battles much more interesting in SWBF1. The only workaround at this point is to give the units you want to be able to melee zombies more than 1000 health, and scale all the weapon damage values proportionally.

Another thing I would do is set mine hintnodes in a circle around the turrets, so rebel teammates would protect you from zombies by placing mines. This is similar to my 'ghost native invisible robot' class which is a backup plan I will be using in case my primary idea doesn't work.

My primary idea (for another mod map) is to see if I can place pre-set landmines in zeroeditor for either team. Mines that are already there when the map starts, that an AI or player doesn't have to place. I will be testing this idea for ZC level 6.

I think a small project for a great upgrade on sides, would be a 1.2.1. upgrade. Where all the health and weapons (except insta-kill weapons, which would be about 1/4 what they are now) are scaled 4x or so.
Then release the /ODF/ as assets and sides.lvls.
Then have as many people as possible move to the upgrade with us. And they could update their side builders by a simple copy paste, which would allow them to keep their skins. Then perhaps another project would be replacing every model with the OTC units, making a 1.2.2. upgrade (which would be more optimal to people than necessary). And keep adding small updates until it gets to 1.3
-- I don't know about you, but I'd switch to 1.3 sides.

I say multiply the health and weapon damages by 5. This will make melee damage 200 instead of 250 which will leave a little more health for the unit that got hit once. That way if they get away with only being hit once they still have about 100 health for fighting ranged units.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Vehicular Model Idea:

Imperial AT-TE [Cargo Transport]

Seems like a fairly simple premiss.

Here are the finer points:
.A stock AT-TE model with the open top portion converted into an open deck
.All cannons removed
.The grill is somewhat different
.Top portion is now more like the Sail Barge (Yes, Sereja inspired me) wall-mounted turrets are placed at the sides and front
.The top deck is detailed with various cargo (simple boxes and crates)

If anyone is interested I can get some better reference imagery.

there is a similar walker called a AT-OT (All Terrain Open Transport) it was briefly shown in EP3 before the death scene for Aayla Secura it actually looks a lot like that walker you pulled up

Link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Open_Transport
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."