Looking to recruit two modders.

Started by Epifire, February 27, 2012, 10:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 27, 2012, 10:24:30 PM Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:28:54 PM by Epifire
I don't know if there is much of a draw to this kind of thing anymore but I wanted to make a old map idea that I had in the start of my modding days.

I wanted to create a map in the sky (like bespin platforms) but having two towers reaching down into fog of some sort. The two towers would be connected by a rather large bridge, and there would also be a lot of airship spawns as expected. The whole idea and concept is there, but I need a lot of textures to fuel this map. The BF 1 development pipeline has just been increased by a lot for models since the new release of Andeweget's new XSI tools.

I am great with models, but I am not the best for making my own textures (well at least not for a project this big).

Here is a picture of the general layout...

-Expectations would be to provide textures for the new structures for this map. I would most likely help in the texture creation for smaller props.

-Bumpmapps for the outer building textures would be nice but is not a must.

-Some alpha textures for some access panels across the map would be very nice.

If anyone is interested and is competent with texture creation please do post. All of this is up for discussion, and I am really excited to see this start up.  :tu:
photobucket limit image removed

Quote from: Epifire on February 27, 2012, 10:24:30 PM
The BF 1 development pipeline has just been increased by a lot for models since the new release of Andeweget's new XSI tools.

Can you provide a link to these tools ?

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Right here good sir. http://gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26664 All I can say is that Ande is a genius, enough said. 

That was why I was wanting to take another try at modding BF 1.

I know this still sounds like a bit of a large question, but just to show that I am not just thinking about it here is the scene for the first tower (both will be mirrored for the ending result).

Just needing a lot of help for good textures to cover walls, floors, supports, and what you can see in the picture. That as well as some one who could manage the class load outs and that should be it.

i can help with textures if you want me to. i know we didn't get along well in the past up to you i guess.

February 29, 2012, 08:10:07 PM #6 Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:22:21 AM by Epifire
I am willing to look passed the prior events. So with that out of the way the plan is simple, we need to gather a collection of textures that will look good enough, and will fit for a series of differing surfaces.

Don't know what your work in textures look like, but all I know is there is a crap load of time ahead of me if I have to make them all myself. U'm really concepts can be looked at by the bespin platform tgas in the shipped assets and we can start from there.

When we can get a finished version of some of the base textures that is the real key. As you know most maps in Star Wars Battlefront reuse the same core textures to suit their environment style. Most commonly known one is the white and grey paneling for Cloud City, and it is used on all the outsides of the buildings for consistency. If we can create a kind of base set for starters that should be enough to get going on.

Base set would include...

Outer Walls: Used on the outside of all the buildings to cover the vast majority of panels (maybe a lowrez version as well?)

Interior Walls: Naturally this would go inside the buildings where it fits. This and the Floor texture would be the best candidates for bumpmap, as they would be closest to the player.

Floors: Simple yet robust tones is all that is really needed out of this one. Bumpmaps may be suitable if we wish to bring out detail as a note.

Those ones that come next (if we ever get this far)...

Exterior Trim/Door Frames: This would be used to define detail, and edges of the outside zones.

Interior Trims: Since the above would cover adjacent door frames, this set would just detail in the seams of the interior.

Grates/Vents: These would be used all over the map where appropriate. Two to three would be the max needed, as more would just variate how much each are seen.

Glass (Optional): The faulted windows could benefit from some nice glass textures with an alpha channel. This however is not entirely necessary.

Glowing Panels (Optional): These are the things that would make key props in the map stand out. I will most likely try to develop these myself since they would have some very particular purposes.

So that is it as far as I can see now. The rest of the map will have most of the same units, maybe narrowed down to a simpler selection. Some thing that is still in consideration are some other fuel platforms out and around the bridge, is this takes off at all. So it's all up for discussion on what should be done, but that is the general idea of what is needed to make this look good.