Mac and PC Screen Recording

Started by aeria., March 02, 2010, 04:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 02, 2010, 04:42:37 PM Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:13:47 PM by ag
Note: This is a WIP. Compared to my other WIPs, this is one that I will actually bother to finish.

Now that I have announced that I will be uploading anyone's videos into the MPCGamers account (after screening, of course) I think it's a good time to add some documentation on the site regarding screen recording software.

------------------
Basic Stuff:
LIEK OMG WATS DAT?!?!??!!?
Screen recording software is exactly what it sounds. It allows you to record the actions on your screen, allowing you to save it as a movie format. From there you can show it to your friends, upload it, do whatever you want.

OMG DAT'S SOOOOO COOOL!!!!11!1!! IS IT LIKE FREEE????
Yes and No.
Most screen recording software is shareware, meaning that you would have to buy it from the developer in order to fully use it. Most free/less restricted software usually sucks, giving you a terrible capture and terrible performance. Despite this, there are some alternatives that do work! I'll will go over them in this topic.

------------------

For PC Users:
The BEST screen recording application currently is Fraps. It allows you to capture your gaming videos with small memory consumption and excellent quality.
Example here:
The downside is that it isn't free, and the demo contains a 30 second limit and an annoying watermark.

Now if you can't fork out the extra cash, I'd suggest that you use the built-in video recorder in xfire. While the quality isn't as great as Fraps, the performance in games doesn't drop as much so it's still usable. A nice feature is to upload videos directly into your xfire account.
Example here: *Coming Soon*
This is a free alternative that you should definitely use if you can't get a copy of Fraps.

------------------

For Mac Users:
The BEST screen recording application for Mac is Screenflow. It gives you excellent capture quality and takes up a small amount of memory. The downside is that it isn't free, or anywhere near free. Screenflow is $100, but it comes with a built-in video editor and plenty of exporting options. More on that later.
Example here:

As of now, there is no free alternative that I am aware of that's capable of capturing gameplay.
------------------

To-Do List:
- Finish up parts in both the Mac and PC setion
- Download Links
- Comparisons of File types
- Choosing the correct quality options
- HD video information
- Other stuff I forgot/haven't done

Updated 3/18/10

#TYBG

iShowU works great for mac users, BTW.

Snapz pro X is good but it costs $70 USD. There is a 15 day trial though. Best Mac Screen Recorder ever  :XD:

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

Added something on the Mac section. This topic's slowly making progress.

#TYBG

AG, this will be cool to refer to when this topic guestion comes up anywere in these forums. Would like to get a price range for Fraps software in your post when you edit it. I vote this for a sticky k.

lolz keen, this is already a sticky.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Quote from: Russell on March 25, 2010, 03:22:44 AM
lolz keen, this is already a sticky.
Russell, did ever occur to you that it wasn't a sticky when I voted it to be or I might have been in to much of a rush that didn't see. ag, will you post the link if the screen recording thing works?

O.o i wouldnt have expected it to become a sticky after you voted because only 1 person had supported putting it up as a sticky (you). I havent been on MPC very long, but as far as ive seen, more than 1 persons support gets a thread posted as a sticky. Sorry mike didnt mean to offend u when i posted that first comment.

This topic is not finished, and therefore it doesn't need to be stickied at this time. Please do not post on this topic or I will ask Jedikiller to lock it until further notice.

#TYBG

srry ag we didnt know.

I have problem whit Fraps.I start making 30 seconds video and when i stop fraps and go in the folder where is the video i see that the video is 2 GB.What is the problem pls someone to help me.30 sec video-2 GB      :o :wacko: :blink:
none

30 Seconds of a high res video, can easily end up 2 GB's, i've made videos that end up being 50+ GB's.

just make sure the settings are exactly what you want, and maybe lower if you can't handle 2 GB's because for 30 seconds that'd be pretty high settings and a large resolution.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

guys ag doesnt want us to post i think...

As long as the questions are topic related its fine.

This is intended to be a help topic, and with questions and helpful answers nothing is wrong with more post.

What he ment was post about if it should be a sticky or not are not relevant to the topic at hand, about Screen Recorders.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time