How to set up mod maps in a dedicated server?

Started by darthsython, February 08, 2024, 06:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all, I got a dedicated server up and running with vanilla maps but I can't seem to figure out how to add moded maps. I've been doing research for a few days now and have come up empty which is strange because I swear I've seen it done. I am using the Battlefront 2 server manager that you can download from this site. The maps I am trying to use are from the Battlefront 2 Remaster DLC pack and Marvel4's Conversion Pack v1.1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

I am only familiar with SWBF 1. The mode map (folder) must contain a mapinfo.txt file that has the default settings set for the server manager.

Example from CORUSCANT: JEDI TEMPLE:

CW,CORUSCANT: JEDI TEMPLE CW,Cor1c,CIS,republic,200,200
GCW,CORUSCANT: JEDI TEMPLE GCW,Cor1a,alliance,imperial,200,200

Other things to check:
- Is the mod map in the correct folder (AddOn)?
- Is the mod map not in a nested folder? (something like tat3/tat3/Data/... instead of tat3/Data/...)

The AddOn folder comes by default in SWBF2, which should make it easier. I searched the forums but can't seem to find a tutorial on hosting mod maps, but I believe it was posted somewhere... However, MK's guidance in the prev reply should do it  :cheers:
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately I am still not able to get the maps to show up in the server manager.
I created an addon folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II PC Server and placed the mod maps in there and tried creating the mapinfo.txt in one of the map folder containing the code that was suggested. For example, I tried Bespin Cloud City.
I placed the mapinfo.txt file in C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II PC Server\AddOn\BCC

Is that the correct location for the mapinfo.txt file?

Maybe you can post the contents of your mapinfo.txt?
That might help us to narrow down the problem.
It's important to have the right names for the loading scripts (cor1c and cor1a in the sample I gave you).
Usually the postifxes '...c' and '...a' are used, but not always.
I believe that Bespin maps use '...r' and '...a'.

Again, I can speak only for SWBF 1.
The folder structure should have the following layout (Mod1 being the name of the mod map).

Base Folder of the server software:
- AddOn
  - Mod1
    - Data
      - _lvl_pc
    - addme.script
    - mapinfo.txt
- Data
- battlefront.exe

This is what I currently have under mapinfo.txt

CW,Bespin: Cloud City CW,Bes2r,CIS,republic,200,200
GCW,Bespin: Cloud City GCW,Bes2a,alliance,imperial,200,200

I have two question, for the map name in this file, would I get that from the name of the .lvl file or should that be the map folders name (which is BCC)? And where can I find the postifxes letter?

We still don't know, what you actually have put into your AddOn folder.
Maybe you can enlighten us :D

Have you tried it with a real modmap already?
Maybe try it with CORUSCANT: JEDI TEMPLE?
I assume that you are missing the addme.script file as well.

To answer your questions:
You either need to have the original files, or you have to do some hex editing/reading.
If you only want to inspect a file I suggest HxD: https://mh-nexus.de/de/hxd/
In the base folder of the mod map should be a "addme.script" file that contains the map name and the scripts that are loaded on startup.
Sticking with the Coruscant example:
- The map name should be in the upper half of the file: Look out for "showstr"
- The script names (with the postfixes) should be in the lower half: Should be the last readable words.

Example:
pluafile�␅���Cor
1�␈���showstr�␗
���CORUSCANT: JED    <--
I TEMPLE�␇���sid
�␗���AddDownload
ableContent�␆���
Cor1c�␆���Cor1a�   <--
��������,���

Ok this is what is currently in my AddOn Folder
I have the map folders (356, BCC, BS1, etc.) and addme.script at the bottom.

Each individual map folder contains an addme.script file as well. I'll break down the cloud city folder and all its contents if that might help.

\AddOn\BCC contains data folder, addme.script, and the mapinfo.txt I added

BCC\data folder contains _LVL_PC Folder

BCC\data\_LVL_PC contains BCC Folder, Load Folder, Side Folder, Sound Folder, Core.lvl, and mission.lvl.

BCC\data\_LVL_PC\BCC contains bes2.lvl
BCC\data\_LVL_PC\load contains common.lvl
BCC\data\_LVL_PC\side contains all_urban.lvl, asj.lvl, and imp_urban.lvl
BCC\data\_LVL_PC\sound contains bcc.lvl and global.lvl

QuoteHave you tried it with a real modmap already?
Maybe try it with CORUSCANT: JEDI TEMPLE?
I assume that you are missing the addme.script file as well.

Yep I got the server running perfectly with the stock maps.

QuoteIn the base folder of the mod map should be a "addme.script" file that contains the map name and the scripts that are loaded on startup.
Sticking with the Coruscant example:
- The map name should be in the upper half of the file: Look out for "showstr"
- The script names (with the postfixes) should be in the lower half: Should be the last readable words.

Ok I am not seeing the map name after "showstr" under \addon\BCC. This is what I am seeing

ucfbÌ␃  scr_Ä␃  NAME␆   addme   INFO␁   ␁   BODYž␃  ␛LuaP␁␄␄␄␆␈ ␄;¯ïK␈   =(none)        ␆            ␝   ␄␐   AddNewGameModes ␃    ␄␆   table ␄␅   getn ␄"   sp_missionselect_listbox_contents ␃  €?␄␋   isModLevel ␄␋   mapluafile ␄    BCC%s_%s ␄␆   era_g ␄␆   era_c ␄␋   mode_con_g ␄␋   mode_con_c ␄␋   mode_ctf_g ␄␋   mode_ctf_c ␄␋   mode_eli_g ␄"   mp_missionselect_listbox_contents ␄␗   AddDownloadableContent ␄␄   BCC ␄    BCCg_con ␃  €@␄    BCCc_con ␄    BCCg_ctf ␄    BCCc_ctf ␄    BCCg_eli ␄    newEntry ␄␂   n ␄
   ReadDataFile ␄&   ..\..\addon\BCC\data\_LVL_PC\core.lvl ␁       ␅    ␃ ␎            ␂   ␄␋   mapluafile ␄␆   pairs     ␐      ␃␃ ␃␄^␂€␃␆ ␃ U€␃ "␁€ E     ␁␈Y␁␁ ␞ € ‰,␄␆]   ␔ÿ� ]  ␃Ôü� ␛€  B   "       A   A  ␁...  ␂Æ ␁␂␅␁ ␃™ ␁␂  ␁ ␅␁ ␂L! ␃
␁ ␄I!C␄ ¢C␄I¡D␄I!E␄I¡E␄I!F␄I¡F␄I!G␄I¡G␄ �␁␂...  ␂Æ ␁␂␅␄ ␃™ ␁␂  ␁␁␅␄ ␂L¡ ␃␅␁ ␄L! ␅F␁␂␄ �␁␂E␄ ␂�␄ ␃Á␄ ␄␁␅ ␅Y ␂␂E␄ ␂�␄ ␃A␅ ␄␁␅ ␅Y ␂␂E␄ ␂�␄ ␃�␅ ␄␁␅ ␅Y ␂␂E␄ ␂�␄ ␃Á␅ ␄␁␅ ␅Y ␂␂E␄ ␂�␄ ␃␁␆ ␄␁␅ ␅Y ␂␂␃ ␁␂G␆ ␂␃ ␁␂‡␆ ␂Å␆ ␂␁  ␃Y ␁␂␛€     

Looks like a job for the SWBF 2 guys. Seems like there are bigger differences between SWBF 1 and 2 after all.
I am sorry to have led you in this direction.

You could continue your search in some of the SWBF discords. Maybe there are more active members.

March 01, 2024, 08:08:36 PM #10 Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:10:16 PM by Willkilla
To create a custom playlist including modded maps, go to the Server/Settings folder for swbf2admin and open the ServerRotation.cfg file. It will show a list of maps using their regular syntax. You can navigate to the files within the specific addon folder and look for the .lvl name as that name is usually the map code. I have done this many times

Quote from: Willkilla on March 01, 2024, 08:08:36 PMTo create a custom playlist including modded maps, go to the Server/Settings folder for swbf2admin and open the ServerRotation.cfg file. It will show a list of maps using their regular syntax. You can navigate to the files within the specific addon folder and look for the .lvl name as that name is usually the map code. I have done this many times
This info does not apply to the original Server Manager. Have a closer look at what the author is posting.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com