09FEB21 GoG/Steam Update 1.2 (1)

Started by iamastupid, February 09, 2021, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 09, 2021, 05:06:07 PM Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:12:53 PM by iamastupid
This is a repost from GT and the Steam Community Forums.

Okay, I want to make something clear. None of this is new, this is literally the same code and crap they made for Battlefront 1 (2004) when it released onto GoG and Steam last year so they just copied it over, poorly at that.
The 4:3 loadscreen issue is a relic of the fact BF1 had 4:3 movies as loadscreens and the HUD scaling has the same issue.
This is also why new graphical bugs have appeared as well. The High shadow setting will cause everything to go black and LOD and View Distance is fixed.
The controller config menu is actually copied straight from Battlefront 1 and the Battlefront 1 bonus content menu was added for absolutely no reason.

This is an absolutely ♥♥♥♥♥ update and you should immediately go onto ModDB and download the reversion patch.
Multiplayer is working and they seemed to have added Leaderboards back, however it seems to only be counting player points on CTF modes and Conquest and has not updated since we noticed it came online.

They broke most of Galactic Conquest's functionality, such as the ability to even select your fleet to command.

The fact that this is all been ported from BF1 and attached into the core game files with additional external software injecting onto it means that it could take a while for modders to at minimum get the 1.3 patch working again, however custom HUDs might stay broken - especially those that required Anakin's Remaster patch like the Republic Commando and Battlefront III Legacy mods.

GoG should have recreated all the needed content specifically for Battlefront 2 (2005) from scratch or at least using the PC base files as the interface graphics they are using are actually from the Xbox and Playstation 2.

This might never get fixed, so you shouldn't get your hopes up - but that does not mean completely give in. Be incredibly vocal on all social media platforms and get your favourite YouTubers to speak out. Spam GoG's Twitter post about the update and contact costumer support. Everything that is in your power to get their attention.

If you want more of a reason, GoG CAN add the Xbox DLC Content if they wanted to, modders have done it (There is a makeshift PC version of the DLC on ModDB) meaning the files are already available on PC, they just need to modify animation limits to allow for the new heroes and implement the maps into the map pool officially, this would really give them some brownie points with the community and make them a little less mad they keep breaking and ruining these classic games.

All in all, not a great day for the community.

Other things to note are:
Multiplayer does work although you can get an error when trying to log in, just keep switching between the Singleplayer and Multiplayer tabs until it works.
Selecting the controller config menu while in game causes a crash.
No Playstation or Switch controllers are supported.
Minecraft is and will always be a better game.
Certain mods do still work, as long as they didn't have custom eras, custom gamemodes or custom HUDs, so HarrisonFog's remaster mod mostly works with improved sides included, the Xbox DLC recreation works, Bob Omb Battlefront, Kothlis Sea haven, Alzoc III Blizzard, Honoghr Crash site and other maps like them.

Just to add an update: Steam has issued a reversion themselves. What GOG were thinking is completely beyond me.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

I've sent our local contact a PM offering that our community would be happy to help do some pre-release testing.  Maybe they can do that, but maybe not.

:cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I had heard about the issue with the newest update, but didn't know it was this bad. Glad that Steam reverted it though; I wonder if it was their decision to revert it or if GOG decided that they messed up due to the communities response?
The years just fly past, don't they?

Turns out the update was offered by Lucasfilm Games (Who were also behind the SWBF1 Steam launch)
GoG were just the distributor. Which is strange since GoG handle the Multiplayer and Servers and the update reintroduced Leaderboards.
Either way GoG thought to revert the update but it might not be the last we've seen from it if it was Lucasfilm Games trying to push it.

Quote from: iamastupid on February 14, 2021, 03:56:50 AMTurns out the update was offered by Lucasfilm Games (Who were also behind the SWBF1 Steam launch)
GoG were just the distributor. Which is strange since GoG handle the Multiplayer and Servers and the update reintroduced Leaderboards.
Either way GoG thought to revert the update but it might not be the last we've seen from it if it was Lucasfilm Games trying to push it.

Not sure where you got that explanation from, but that sounds a bit suspect.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Why would Lucasfilm Games want to push something like that? Do they know it broke the game?

Was it their mission to break the game? I don't think so... To me, it sounds like someone was being lazy and decided to not remake everything that needed to be remade for BF2 and just threw everything from BF1 into BF2 without thinking of the potential consequences.

I'm trying to play online on Battlefront 2 (2005). I'm using SWBF2SPY. I only see one server but nobody is in there. Do you guys all see the same things?. (I'm playing from France ). Is it in relation with the new maj which have been reversed ?

Quote from: Led on February 14, 2021, 05:39:50 AMNot sure where you got that explanation from, but that sounds a bit suspect.
GoG contact. Lucasfilm Games were also behind the SWBF1 Steam Release hence the updated legal page at the beginning of the game.
Giftheck can back me up on this.

What iamastupid has said is correct.

The problem appears to be that whoever is working on these releases is not testing them, nor do they appear to have any real knowledge of the game's inner workings.

Another thing I don't think has been noted: whoever is working on these at LFL Games is at least aware this site exists - because this is the only place they could have gone to take Dark_Phantom's bonus unlockables video files.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Ah... I don't know why they haven't come here to gain possible feedback?

From a business perspective, it's probably just opening up another money dump for them.  They'd need somebody to come and be community relations and it'd create more work for them instead of being a side project.

(Although honestly it would almost be cheaper to have a couple of us sign NDAs and work on the game - it's kinda funny how that works.  There's enough passion around the game to do it for free. More risk for them though, because it's hard to tell who to trust with source code access and who's going to leak it.)

Side note: They did come back here once for BF1 and fix a couple things, but left much of it unfixed, which is also amusing because if they'd listened more to me the first time, maybe BF2 would've been smoother.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.