Star Wars: Squadrons

Started by Luna-old, October 03, 2020, 03:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 03, 2020, 03:46:44 PM Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:50:54 PM by Luna
So, today is the day when I finished playing Squadrons Campaign, and I have to say that I genuinely had fun with the story and the combat (With a controller) is very much entertaining. I have yet to try out any Multiplayer, but I'm going to explain some points I liked about the campaign.

[spoiler]1). Return of the Starhawk in a game, I like that they've shown the Starhawk again. It's a very cool looking ship, honestly its design almost reminds me of the Gravestone from SWTOR: KoTFE. And especially seeing its powerful tractor beam in action was just another favourite.

2). The Imperial Pilot character you play remains loyal to the Empire. Now this has always been a bit of an annoyance that I had with the Battlefront 2 2017 campaign where Iden switched sides so easily, I'm just glad that the pilot didn't switch side.

3) I know it ain't major, but Thrawn got a name drop in this campaign. I'm hoping the more he gets mentioned in games and TV that we'll eventually get a game with him in properly. There's even a hologram that you can get in MP that is legit his Stardestroyer's hologram!

4) As you make your way through both Imperial and New Repuiblic stories, they get you to pilot different ships as you go through. I'm glad to see the return of the Tie Reaper for the Imperials, the cockpit is something that I don't think has ever actually been seen before properly, so I'm glad to see how they've designed that![/spoiler]

I do have some more points, but I can't think of many more right now. At the end of the day, if you're interested in trying the game out, I recommend that you use a controller. The mouse and keyboard controls aren't that great, and I found it very hard to control with mouse and keyboard.

Another thing I like about the game is the amount of customization you get with the pilots and the ships themselves, you can pretty much change the weapons, engines, hull, shields. Giving you a whole bunch of different buffs and debuffs along with them!
The years just fly past, don't they?

I bought it too, but mainly for the multiplayer aspect. 5v5 at first glance sounds pretty small for a space sim, but the game generally pulls it off well. You get practice in dogfighting and tutorials until you reach level 5, which is good to get used to the controls. At level 5 you can participate in ranked fleet battles, which involve objectives that will result in one side destroying a capital ship. The mode, after playing a few times, could benefit from more players instead of AI, but overall it's a fun game mode.
If you've ever played X-Wing or TIE Fighter and enjoyed it, I think you'll like it. As Luna said, controller is the way to go.

The only thing is that I want to be the Empire more often. I want to destroy Rebel scum more!
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on October 03, 2020, 04:28:43 PM
I bought it too, but mainly for the multiplayer aspect. 5v5 at first glance sounds pretty small for a space sim, but the game generally pulls it off well. You get practice in dogfighting and tutorials until you reach level 5, which is good to get used to the controls. At level 5 you can participate in ranked fleet battles, which involve objectives that will result in one side destroying a capital ship. The mode, after playing a few times, could benefit from more players instead of AI, but overall it's a fun game mode.
If you've ever played X-Wing or TIE Fighter and enjoyed it, I think you'll like it. As Luna said, controller is the way to go.

The only thing is that I want to be the Empire more often. I want to destroy Rebel scum more!

I've not tried the multiplayer, is it actually fun? Is there a VS AI mode?
The years just fly past, don't they?

Yeah you can do Fleet Battles vs AI without online play or worrying about ranking system.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.