SWBF1-2 PS2 hosting room

Started by subrussian, November 30, 2017, 07:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys! i'm new to the community and to the games, but i managed them both to work properly online on my PS2, but the only thing i don't get and couldn't find answer anywhere - is it possible to host rooms using DNS that work at the moment? Because dedicated servers have large ping for my place and also i'd like to play with my friends, so we could pick maps etc, not just play what's given. I know there's an option "create", but the created room doesn't seem to be visible in the lobby.
So I would be very thankful if you could help and explain, is it possible in any way? (maybe even changing DNS to smth else?)
Thanks in advance!

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10570.0
Check the info here and let us know if it works.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

November 30, 2017, 09:53:03 AM #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:59:34 AM by oldsnake
I know there's an option "create", but the created room doesn't seem to be visible in the lobby.
to make it show up in the lobby you will have to give your ps2 a static ip. port forward udp/tcp 3658,3659 on your router for the ps2 static ip. or put your ps2 in the dmz on your router with the static ip you gave it. it is best to use 2 ps2 one to play on and use the other to host the dedicated 16 man player. or you could run the server from a pc/old laptop. using the pc you will have to port forward the same above. if you want to test the server here are the files needed https://mega.nz/#!nRIDgTzD!7-a7a3qE-iovARdMG6PfltzpwedWZ7SCI8RZpRZxUko

November 30, 2017, 04:07:51 PM #3 Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:39:54 PM by Mike
Yes it is possible to do what you are asking. Everything I'm about to say applies to the second game, it should all work on the first game too, but I haven't played the first one recently.

So on SWBF2 if you hit create it will host a server from your PS2, the maximum amount of players that can be in these is 4. So many people call them "4-mans". They should be working but oldsnake is saying they aren't so I am not too sure on that, I haven't tried one in a while.

It sounds like what you want to do is host what many people refer to as a "downloaded". For this what you need to do is download the PS2 server manager .exe and run it on your computer. The .exe needs to have been edited from the orginial to make sure it puts the server up on the SWBFSpy server list. If you use what oldsnake linked you to it should work. Once you have the server manager running it will have the options to change the maps and settings to what you prefer.

November 30, 2017, 05:32:25 PM #4 Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:39:59 PM by subrussian
thank you so much for the replies guys! i'll try it out and let you know if it worked!

UPD: okay, the DMZ thing helped with making "4-mans" room visible, and that is enough for me atm, so thanks a lot!

On the other hand, server manager seems a bit more difficult. I downloaded original server manager, added files from the folder you sent and when trying to start server, it gives an error - "couldn't write server rotation file"

Quote from: subrussian on November 30, 2017, 05:32:25 PM

On the other hand, server manager seems a bit more difficult. I downloaded original server manager, added files from the folder you sent and when trying to start server, it gives an error - "couldn't write server rotation file"

Sounds like a file write permission error.   I don't know where you have the software currently located, but you could move it to a folder like c:/serversoftware/
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

December 03, 2017, 12:28:27 PM #6 Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:25:56 PM by oldsnake
that is great that it works after putting the ps2 into the dmz.   :tu:
added files from the folder you sent and when trying to start server, it gives an error - "couldn't write server rotation file"
just to be clear the download folder from mega needs nothing added or removed. it is stand alone and can be extracted to desktop on winxp/win7/win10 and be used from any location on your pc or even separate hd/ssd. to test the server just double click the file SANDMAN'S REQUEST for testing. if the server box does not open then the common/Shell folder will need change.
what languge is your os in? if it is not english you will have to fix the common/Shell folder for the language your os is using.  the pic below shows all the supported languages the server is capable of supporting.