SWBFGamers Discord Server?

Started by TheGangstarTY, July 15, 2016, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of a Discord Server for SWBFGamers?

It's a good idea!
Maybe, it could be good.
Not worth the time.
It's a bad idea.
Hi all,

First off, I understand that something like this has been mentioned before. However the only response I've seen is something like "There's no point, we already have a TeamSpeak 3 Server." I would like to see an official SWBFGamers Discord server anyway and I'll explain why.

First of all, Discord is better on your Hardware. TeamSpeak's CPU and RAM usage alone is enough to prove my point. I do know that sometimes Discord's CPU usage tops TeamSpeak's CPU usage, however this can often be due to being in multiple servers at once and that for me isn't a problem, nor would it be a problem for those who also have a powerful CPU.

Then there's the overlay. God damn did I hate how buggy Overwolf's overlay was. Despite Discord's overlay being early and still having some issues on certain systems, it still beats Overwolf, TeamSpeak's poor excuse for an overlay. This overlay doesn't cover about a tenth of your screen either. Only about a hundredth, if that. Also, you can chose what games you want your overlay on, and what you don't want your overlay on. You can also easily switch between entire servers, let alone channels!

One of the biggest improvements is the addons and most importantly the BOTs. I own a Discord server of my own and I have about 11 BOTs in my server now! One that I programmed myself that does pretty much everything. A few admin BOTs. Some statistic tracking BOTs and some music bots. Then there's achievement BOTs, Wiki BOTs etc. The list goes on and the possibilities seem endless.

To finish off, there's the admin system. At first, I thought the Discord admin system was absolute garbage. However I now know that I was wrong. You can make it so only people with that specific role can join that server. For example, if there's a clan channel, take FC for example, ONLY members from FC can join that channel. No New Comers. No Regulars. Not even moderators if you don't want them to! Then you can make people admin/moderator for only certain servers. For example, moderators of the FC boards on swbfgamers can ONLY moderate the Voice Chat/Text Chat that their assigned to. For example, there can be "FC Member", "FC Moderator" and "FC Administrative" and the FC Administrative has full control over that Channel and the roles provided. Although outside of this Text/Voice channel, their permissions are useless. It's such a more secure system.

Might I add that the Text Chat is so much more improved. Having text channels separated from voice channels is a huge improvement. Especially having the ability to mute and unmute certain channels.

So why would this be relevant for SWBFGamers?

1. I love the TeamSpeak 3 server and all, but it's pretty much always empty. People that I've spoken to are much more prone to joining a Discord server than a TeamSpeak 3 server. The fact that you can join through a quick link and never have to put in that IP again, or never having to go through their bookmarks. They can just click really quickly.

2. A brilliant feature is how you can alter the server location in a matter of three clicks! Sometimes when the London server starts lagging, I'd just switch to US East until London goes back to normal again. And it's super easy!

3. Improved support. This is where some BOTs may come in. For example, on my server, I've programmed my BOT to respond to questions like "How do I play music?" or "What's the music command?" with a step by step guide, link to it's commands or to say where the user can find these. This could help someone even when an support officer of the server is offline. Also, there can be separate channels for support to stop the other channels from getting clogged up with questions.

4. Automatic admin system. Literally, how can this be bad? And no, it isn't going to be some "Robots fighting back" rubbish either. You can black list certain words in seconds. That way, when people come on raging and swearing for some reason, the BOT will just automatically remove the comment before a second passes and/or warn, kick or ban the user.

5. Better for clans. The clans in TeamSpeak 3 are password protected. Anyone who knows this password can join at any time, even after being dismissed from the clan. This requires a complete password switch and a message to pass around of the new password. Then you'd also ban them maybe to stop them from doing it again. But this way they can't even go near the channel if they don't have the role!

I could go on with the list but those in my opinion are the best reasons as to why we should add a TeamSpeak 3 server. Not to mention that more people would join and that it costs absolutely nothing! I hope to hear your opinions on this idea and would love to see this become a reality. I just don't see why there would be a point in not making a Discord server.

Do you guys agree with this or disagree? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thanks and have a great day!
- TheGangstarTY
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

I do agree indeed about this, I don't even have teamspeak installed on my PC. I only have Discord and Skype installed.

I think this'd be a great idea!
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: Darth Nyx on July 15, 2016, 09:20:41 AM
I do agree indeed about this, I don't even have teamspeak installed on my PC. I only have Discord and Skype installed.

I think this'd be a great idea!

I find it a lot quicker to load up as well and loading it up on start up and jumping into your last known server is great as well!

I especially like the fact that we could all quick chat as well. And not only this but we can share ANY file!
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on July 15, 2016, 09:24:49 AM
I find it a lot quicker to load up as well and loading it up on start up and jumping into your last known server is great as well!

I especially like the fact that we could all quick chat as well. And not only this but we can share ANY file!

Yep, I would move from Skype over to Discord, but most of my friends only remain on skype.

Quote from: Darth Nyx on July 15, 2016, 09:28:15 AM
Yep, I would move from Skype over to Discord, but most of my friends only remain on skype.

Trust me, you should've left Skype ages ago in my opinion. I've hated it from the beginning. I went straight past Skype onto regular Steam chat, then TeamSpeak 3 and finally Discord.

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on July 15, 2016, 09:34:22 AM
Trust me, you should've left Skype ages ago in my opinion. I've hated it from the beginning. I went straight past Skype onto regular Steam chat, then TeamSpeak 3 and finally Discord.

Yeah, but most of my friends are on Skype. And I have no one on Discord that I know.

I'd vouch for using Discord as well.

For my group of friends we use Discord heavily, although we aren't as heavily clan-oriented, so the roles thing isn't seen a whole lot except for use as Mod/Admin mainly, and the odd time out as an individual title for a person. But that aside, the channels have been handy to differentiate topics of discussion (I.e., a picture chat to post pics, a Payday 2 voice channel for playing Payday 2, etc.)

I at first used Skype, but that went out the window after a month as I found Skype was eating a gaping hole in my bandwidth use. We still use the TS channel on here off-and-on (one of our buddies couldn't seem to get voice chat working on Discord), but it's become a last resort for us.

If there was a Discord channel for SWBFGamers, I'd be up for joining it. :)

July 15, 2016, 10:40:39 AM #7 Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:28:08 PM by TheGangstarTY
Quote from: Gold Man on July 15, 2016, 10:17:25 AM
I'd vouch for using Discord as well.

For my group of friends we use Discord heavily, although we aren't as heavily clan-oriented, so the roles thing isn't seen a whole lot except for use as Mod/Admin mainly, and the odd time out as an individual title for a person. But that aside, the channels have been handy to differentiate topics of discussion (I.e., a picture chat to post pics, a Payday 2 voice channel for playing Payday 2, etc.)

I at first used Skype, but that went out the window after a month as I found Skype was eating a gaping hole in my bandwidth use. We still use the TS channel on here off-and-on (one of our buddies couldn't seem to get voice chat working on Discord), but it's become a last resort for us.

If there was a Discord channel for SWBFGamers, I'd be up for joining it. :)

Glad to hear that! I find it useful since you don't have to call people, you just click on a channel.

Also, I wouldn't mind who hosted this server but I think that Led should considering he runs this site with JK. That's if he was to agree with it of course ;)

I tend to agree that it would be better that Overlord Led presides over the channel(s) or one of his appointed minions volunteers.  IDK how the thing really works but if anyone can create channels, IDK how else to keep track of it all.  So far I have 3 known channels in my list for BF2 but they are organized geographically which to me seems unintuitive since we are spread all around the planet and may be on at any time day or night. 

I attempted to install it on the game server and it said the installation failed.  It would not let me try to reinstall it.

It does not appear to be ready for prime time.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on July 15, 2016, 05:31:34 PM
I attempted to install it on the game server and it said the installation failed.  It would not let me try to reinstall it.

It does not appear to be ready for prime time.
Ah, another thing I forgot to mention about Discord: It's accessible via web browser, and via smartphone (if you own iOS/Android).

So with that thinking, in a sense you don't need the desktop client on your PC, just have a tab open on your web browser and you can see what's all happening. I myself did a trial run through the web browser before I installed the desktop client. :)

Quote from: Gold Man on July 15, 2016, 08:40:27 PM
Ah, another thing I forgot to mention about Discord: It's accessible via web browser, and via smartphone (if you own iOS/Android).

So with that thinking, in a sense you don't need the desktop client on your PC, just have a tab open on your web browser and you can see what's all happening. I myself did a trial run through the web browser before I installed the desktop client. :)

This should work. I remember that my mate had a similar issue, something to do with his appdata folder and he used the client until he was able to properly download it.