Assets from DICE's Star Wars Battlefront

Started by Giftheck, April 28, 2016, 02:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 28, 2016, 02:50:41 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:13:00 PM by Gistech
As many of you will know, a while back I tested out a conversion of the DICE stormtrooper units for Star Wars: Battlefront II. That test was to test just how far we could push the engine. Given the fact it is a recent game, there were a few issues rolling around in my mind. I talked these issues over with Led, and we came to an understanding. So, here I will set out what is best for these assets.

MODELS

I'll break this down into sections:

Units

Obviously, as the stormtrooper models were a test for anybody to try out, it's okay to use them in a mod. However, it is not going to be a wise idea to convert too many units from the new game to the old ones. So, no total conversions. If you need, say, the Tatooine Rebel helmet, or the Jump Trooper jump pack, then that would probably be fine, but as far as anything else goes, try to find alternatives first. For the most part, many things have already been done with regards to units in SWBF before the new game came out, so you should not need to use much here.

Weapons

Weapons are a slightly different case, though my suggestion about looking elsewhere first still counts. There are weapons in this game that are safe to use. But my advice here would be to use the LOD/Third Person versions. For instance, the DLT-20A on Facepunch has both the first person and third person models, and the third person model has 5 different LODs, each with varying detail levels.

Map elements

There are certain map elements that are not yet available elsewhere which it should be okay to use, but don't go overboard with this. Do you really need those super-HD trees from Endor? Probably not.

TEXTURES

From what I gather, textures in the new game are somewhat tricky to work with anywy. A lot of what's there we already have in some form, so try to use as little as possible.

SOUNDS

Sounds are sometimes a sticky issue. I know this game has some unique sounds not found elsewhere, but again, if you need them, make sure they're not elsewhere first. You should not need to take many in any case: you don't need 100 explosion sounds, for instance, when the game's stock explosion sounds suit for most purposes.

Regarding music: it's not necessary to use any music from the new game, really. The stock music should do just fine.

SUMMARY AND ADDENDUM

In summary, use as little as you can.

GameToast has a blanket ban on assets from any game less than ten years old from games that are less than ten years old without Disney's new EULA (read about it here). Led has said it's okay to release mods using these things on here, but I would strongly advise against posting anything about it on GameToast.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1