Fixing collision for the Jedi Temple

Started by ggctuk, September 24, 2009, 01:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, I got some of the Jedi Temple's collision fixed by following Battlebelk's tutorial (renaming the "p_-so" collision meshes to "collision" in a hexeditor). So I got the upstairs of the Library, the Server Room and the Security Room fixed, but there are still places where collision is awful, such as the corridor leading from the security room (the bottom of the stairs has a collision hole I can't seem to fix).

So I'm asking if somebody could help me fix collision on the objects I can't hexedit because the name strings for collision are too short.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Can you not just put invisible collision blocks in those areas?  Or do you need different-shaped blocks to be more efficient in covering the gaping regions?

The blocks work for floors and ceilings, but some of the pillars lack collision, and the wall on the western corridor outside the War Room has no collision either.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

I remember making a few custom collision blocks in XSI when I did some collision fixes for the Jedi Temple in JvC 1.0, if I can find them on my dvd-rs, I'll pass them along to you since they may be easier to use than stacking the cube collision meshes that come with the modtools. If I remember correctly, I think I made one or two that were basically thin, giant rectangles, which would be easier to use than having to stack cubes together.  They helped me to fix the floor of the hallway so that the unit's feet don't sink below the surface of the floor up to their ankles.

If you give me an idea of what shapes you are looking for to finish the collisions, I may be able to whip some up for you.  I can do a couple for you over the weekend (just don't ask for custom blocks for every map object in the temple since I just wouldn't have the free time to make that many blocks).  If it's just 3 or 4 basic shapes, that'd be no problem.  The only caveat is that I was never able to figure out if there was a "visible" flag that could be used to export a truly invisible MSH block - so these blocks use a mesh that has a transparency map applied (which of course has the alpha value set to make it fully invisible).

Well, I need fixes only for the hallways leading from the Security Room to the War Room (the two CPs that are second lowest on the map). Most of the collision otherwise is fixed - either it worked in the first place or I hex-edited each mesh so that when the models munged, the collision was detected (IE changing the Library collision names from "p_-so_collision365" to "collision365"). Can't do that to all of the meshes as some of the collision names are too short (IE "cube12"). So it's just the tall corridors that need collision.
In Progress:

On Hold:

September 24, 2009, 03:58:14 PM #5 Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:39:13 PM by Napseeker
So the hallways then implies the floor as you mentioned in your first post, but are you saying that the walls too are giving problems?  Also, have you tried to just input in the partial name for collision e.g. "cube12" -> "collis" just to see what happens - while unlikely that this will work, might be worth a shot.  For all we know, the programmers could've lazily only checked for "coll" as a prefix for any collision objects rather than the full "collision".  If true, you might get away with "colli1" "coll3" or "collis1" etc

September 25, 2009, 01:11:15 AM #6 Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:38:19 PM by ggctuk
It's worth a shot.

Edit: It didn't work.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Does the BF1 munge generate collision if the original model doesn't have any (as the BF2 munge does)? If it does, you can simply remove the collision primitives from the models and remunge them.

I'm not sure, I'd have to look into that as there are items munged that have collision in-game that didn't according to the munge application.

All I know is, the BF1 munge creates one big collision primitive from individual primitives. Each must contain the word "collision" to be picked up by the munge.
In Progress:

On Hold: