Good Morning

Started by tirpider, October 05, 2011, 08:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Long time player (ps2) first time mapping.

Hope there is room for one more.

Welcome!

I don't have any experience with the PS2, but there are several players on the PC servers that used to use the PS2.

I hope the mod maps work for you.  You will need to have a PC to run the modding software.

It is a bit intimidating at first, but there are a lot of things you can do very easily.

Just ask on our forums if you need any help.

Another place I would recommend is GameToast, but they are a bit advanced over there, and are focusing a lot now on SWBF2 and other things.

:cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks, Buckler.

The transition to playing on the PC was pretty quick due to way to many years on Tribes.

BFBuilder (pro) and ZeroEdit are working like a champ. I still don't understand the munge batch files, but they work. Thats good enough for now. Only a few of the maps I've tried crashed on me, but I suspect it was how the were loaded.

I've spent the last few weeks going over forums (here, gametoast, secretsociety) and digging through asset files (I love grep but hate regex), and learned that I don't really want to play with BF2.  Some of the models in it's mod tools look good for the map I have in the works , but thats about it.

GameToast doesn't like my email, so I can't register (and therefore search) there.  So they are only as usefull as their topic titles till I contact 'em about joining. (I still read it daily though.)

I have to say, the way this thing (BF) is structured is daunting. You guys that have stuck with it have not only an incredible amount of knowledge, but patience as well.

Nothing but impressed with everything I've seen so far.

Ah, you are already very advanced then, if you have the mod tools working already.  You may have seen the tutorials sections.  Some nice things can be done by hexediting too.

Most of us here have tried SWBF2 and feel that the gameplay for the original is better, and so while our numbers are small, we are pretty dedicated.

If you have the PC version of SWBF, I would be happy to host your maps by direct connection so both Mac and PC players can play.

Feel free to use our downloads area to get your map on SWBFgamers.com--you will just need to drop me a PM if I don't notice that your file is available for approval.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Welcome to swbfgamers hope you find everything you seak. I found two skirts just for the hidden zippers for two dollars total and pink lining on one, bonus.

Hey there you guy! Yeah, I also started out on the PS2... never got round to much mapping though!
Welcome !

I actually have a decent rank on the old ps2 leaderboards... of course there are only about 30 or so people still showing up there anymore. It's still fun though.

Shame we can't map for the PS2 without exploiting the console itself.

I really dig the way the engine for SWBF acts/moves. Mercenaries and Destroy all Humans as well.
Quake 1 has a good feel to it and the editors seem easy enough, but it gets a bit quick and jerky when the action heats up. And it's kind of blocky.
The unreal engines are beautiful but again, everything in unreal runs at light speed and that makes it unplayable for me.  Besides I  like the idea of a ready made environment, already tailored to the Star Wars universe without having to redesign everything from the physics up.

re zippers: Thrift stores are the only way to go for long zippers. Retail is just way to expensive and they rarely have the right length/color.
I once cobbled together an emergency guitar case using a giant auto shop "red rag" and the zipper from a garment bag. Only had a leather needle, a pocket knife and a ball of thick cotton utility string.
I think I voided the waranty of everything but the guitar on that one.

welcome to the community and good luck learning to mod. may i recommend a few downloads you might find helpful:

SWBF CustomRes SpTest Loader: http://www.mediafire.com/?wwzng8eu8i1pu2c
SWBF Modding Encyclopedia 4.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?h0drxbtphlhar1h
SWBF1 Modding LVL Builders Toolbox 2.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?81dbbp5bl9vdxcc

October 19, 2011, 02:07:12 PM #8 Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:11:49 PM by tirpider
Thanks for the links.
I had the last 2 (somewhere) but the first is new to me.

It loads sptest with a custom resolution?

(been avoiding sptest actually, I have a junction between the addon output folder and BF1's addon folder, that alows me to munge and go, straight to the end platform.)

-edit-
Groovy. I'm at 1280 x 768. Already fixed it in bfbuilder, but not for BF. This will come in handy.