Harddrive true size needed

Started by Xfire Keenmike aka cull, June 30, 2010, 05:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi, earlier this year my crazy desktop died. I was able to move alot of the files I wanted to keep. Last night I reinstalled xp to two partitions and now have it up and running. The hard drive is labled as 250gigs. One partition is exactly Capacity 115,343,065,088kbtes 107GB and the other is Capacity 134,705,377,280kbtes 125GB. My question, are the totals the same?

are the totals the same?

i have 1 question for you. Why did you install 2 partitions for 1 OS?

also, your hard drive may actually be formatted to a state where the usable Memory on the HD is less than what is labeled. Idk, if that constitutes a 18GB loss tho.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

No, your ACTUAL memory space is less than the retailer advertises. For instance, Apple advertised my Macbook as having 160 GB of HD space, but with the translation of kilobytes to megabytes to gigabytes, you tend to lose memory... Therefore my hard drive is really 149.05 gigabytes.

Mac the reason it is less than advertised is because they format it if memory servers. kilobytes megabytes and gigabytes are only units on measurements.

I thought maybe I could reformat the hard drive and hope I would gain the loss of space. That night I was moving foward and decided not to come back to work and reformat it. While I was transfering files I noticed some were not deletable. Could that be a reason?

I installed two partitions to always have one to play swbf1 and internet stuff when the other goes down. For example when my pc was dieing I had a partition to do stuff untill it really died which was my doing.

oh yea, sorry bout that cull. i misunderstood what you mean by conversions.

With reds help and math I think this can be solved. Thanks red soap mac.